Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

rear brake judder from C240

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 09:49 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C240 Elegance Auto Lthr
rear brake judder from C240

Hi Luke et al,

I recently had my pads replaced all round by a non MB garage and I thought all was well but I am having a problem and would appreciate your comments. The parts were all MB by the way.

I am getting some quite serious judder when applying the brakes (particularly at high speed hard braking). It seems to be the left side rear that is particularly bad (not the front at all).

The handbrake was also adjusted when they did the pads and it now rides quite high (bit of a stretch to get my foot over it). It doesnt seem to be binding but if I apply the handbrake while travelling (to test you understand) there is a very similar judder but much worse. I was wondering if they might have over adjusted the handbrake which could cause a judder when the footbrakes are applied under normal braking?? I belive that the handbrake has its own drum and shoes so I cant really see how it could affect the main braking. Do you think the disks are shot instead??

Cheers,

Paul
Old 01-05-2004, 09:54 AM
Almost a Member!

Hi, One more thing - I am noticing on the same wheel that the wear is much more on the outside of the tyre than even across the tyre. I did have some warranty work done by MB where they replaced the rear shocks and struts due to heavy crashing and banging over pot holes. They told me that they reset the alignment as I asked specifically. If the alignment was out on this rear left wheel could this also give the braking symptoms??

Cheers,

Paul
Old 01-05-2004, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
heavy crashing and pothole banging... is ur wheel bent?

where is the shaking from? steering wheel = front... seats = rear. is ur rotor warped? have the runout checked on the rotor...

for the tire wear...u should have some negative camber set in the rear... if u have extra wear on the outside...is ur toe too far in?
Old 01-06-2004, 05:21 AM
Almost a Member!

Hi,

The shaking (more of a noise/rumble) is coming from the rear left wheel and only occurs when braking hard.

The pothole/crashing noise is when going over raised/lowered drains etc and is rather like a sports car at the left rear. The other 3 corners are fine.

The car is in at MB today to have the tracking/alignment checked. Hopefully they will take a look at the rest of the suspension and make sure nothing else is amiss.

Cheers,

Paul