Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Tire Suggestions 18s (quiet, comfortable, treadwear)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 01:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK 320
Tire Suggestions 18s (quiet, comfortable, treadwear)

I'm sure this question has been beaten to death and buried in the many threads but I didn't bump into an exact answer I was looking for.

Basically, I need to replace my Yokohama's AVS ES100 at 265/35/18's in the rear and 235/40/18's in the front. I had Pirelli's before my current tires and considered the Yokohama's an improvement.

Some people have commented they aren't the best so I would like to hear what people would suggest. The most important factors for me are <b>ride comfort, tire noise, and life of tires (treadwear)</b>. I don't care much for performance as long as I only do regular driving. It doesn't rain much in California so traction on wet pavement is not very important either. Of course, if I do drive it in the rain then it should at least stick to the ground.

Anyone who's had history with these tires and found something better at the similar setup that I described then I'd love to hear your opinions. TIA
Old 02-10-2004, 03:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have ever read some of my comments on tires before, you should know I ALWAYS favor Toyo T1-S. The Toyo will far exceed ALL of your requirements. However, the Goodyear GS-D3 are supposedly very good tires as well. You might want to check that out.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
funky102: may I ask you what are the width of your front and rear wheels? Do you happen to know your offset of them too?

Sorry for being OT...and can't help you about the tires

Thanks for you time

KZ
Old 02-10-2004, 05:37 PM

2000 CLK 320
Originally posted by kaze81
funky102: may I ask you what are the width of your front and rear wheels? Do you happen to know your offset of them too?

Sorry for being OT...and can't help you about the tires

Thanks for you time

KZ
Hi KZ: they are 9" in the rear and 8" in the front, I believe. The offset, I have no idea, but it should be the regular CLK offset? What is offset exactly? Never bothered to try to understand that term, now would be the perfect time
Old 02-13-2004, 04:19 AM

2000 CLK 320
Anymore suggestions from anyone? Luke?? Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?
Old 02-13-2004, 10:07 AM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
Dunlop Sport 9000 would be my recommendation to meet your needs

tire search link
Old 02-13-2004, 10:16 PM

02 W163, 84 W123, 03 E39, 98 E39
Offset

Originally posted by funky102
Hi KZ: they are 9" in the rear and 8" in the front, I believe. The offset, I have no idea, but it should be the regular CLK offset? What is offset exactly? Never bothered to try to understand that term, now would be the perfect time
If you look at the size printed on the inside of the rim (assuming OEM MB wheels) They should say something like 8J x 18H ET 37. The ET number is your offset. I dont know exactly what offset is either, except I think it is how far the centerline of the wheel is compared to the inside face of the wheel, that bolts to the rotor. People who buy wheels with the wrong offset sometimes use spacers to move their offset closer to where it is supose to be (not usually a good idea). If you want a primer on wheels and offsets I am sure the Luke, The Tire God, can explain it better than I (and also correct me if I am wrong about what I wrote).