Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Coil over question?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 12:54 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK500
Coil over question?

Hi guys

I am planning to buy KW coil over either variant 1 or 2.
Since variant 2 is more expensive due to the rebound adjustment
capability, does it worth the extra buckss ?

what do you guys think? if I just want to lower my car does variant 1 should be enough?

xquisit
Old 03-04-2004, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
your talking about adjustable coilovers correct? if this is, than go with the better one, only because if your going with the adjustables, and not the also effective and cheaper method of reg. springs, go all the way.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
yeah...if u get coilovers, then u should probably get one that has not only adjustable height, but the rebound adjustment as well...just about as expensive...u could save a bundle if u simply wanna lower the car by just getting a simple lowering spring

even better, go and get the kw variant 3
Old 03-05-2004, 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by steve s
yeah...if u get coilovers, then u should probably get one that has not only adjustable height, but the rebound adjustment as well...just about as expensive...u could save a bundle if u simply wanna lower the car by just getting a simple lowering spring

even better, go and get the kw variant 3

I agree with everybody else.

But Variant 3 does not have any Mercedes application.
Old 03-05-2004, 03:10 AM
Almost a Member!

CLK500
Thx for all the reply guys

but I still dont quiet get the idea of the benefit having adjustable rebound? what is rebound for? and what about dampening setting what is it? I am kinda a newbie in this area :P

and harris is PSS 9 has same options as KW variant 2 or 3

thx again
Old 03-06-2004, 04:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
that's too bad...no v3...

anyway....getting the right suspension setting for ur taste and ur butt is not always easy... having the rebound adjustment allows u to have a bit of control over that...

rebound adjustment is the adjustment in how well a shock dampens the movement when it is being extended... compression is when the springs are compressed, and rebound is when the springs extend back... rebound adjustment affects the car's characteristics the most.... so many offer rebound adjustments... koni sport shocks are rebound adjustable for example, as are the kw v2 u mentioned... most start with rebound adjustments, then compressions adjustments...

for example...if ur car feels loose and has a tendency to bounce excessively like a car with old worn out shocks, then u need to have more rebound dampening... if ur car starts to feel hard and bumpy, espeically in a really lousy section of the road...then u need to soften up the rebound dampening...

next, for compression, if u car feels like the quintessential boat...where ur car feels floaty and bottoms out easily, then u need more compression dampening... if u car is harsh and doesn't provide a lot of give when going turn bumps, then there's too much compression dampening...
Old 03-06-2004, 02:13 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK500
Originally posted by steve s
that's too bad...no v3...

anyway....getting the right suspension setting for ur taste and ur butt is not always easy... having the rebound adjustment allows u to have a bit of control over that...

rebound adjustment is the adjustment in how well a shock dampens the movement when it is being extended... compression is when the springs are compressed, and rebound is when the springs extend back... rebound adjustment affects the car's characteristics the most.... so many offer rebound adjustments... koni sport shocks are rebound adjustable for example, as are the kw v2 u mentioned... most start with rebound adjustments, then compressions adjustments...

for example...if ur car feels loose and has a tendency to bounce excessively like a car with old worn out shocks, then u need to have more rebound dampening... if ur car starts to feel hard and bumpy, espeically in a really lousy section of the road...then u need to soften up the rebound dampening...

next, for compression, if u car feels like the quintessential boat...where ur car feels floaty and bottoms out easily, then u need more compression dampening... if u car is harsh and doesn't provide a lot of give when going turn bumps, then there's too much compression dampening...
thx for the insight steves
if that is the case then I think I will go for the v2, because having an options is better than not having one