Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

High Gloss (Brillant Silver) or Normal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL500 Sport Package
High Gloss (Brillant Silver) or Normal

Hello -- wondering if anyone knows what type of finish is used on the R230 -- 2003 SL500 Sport Package (AMG) wheels.

I "roughed" my front left wheel and wanted to get it fixed up at WheelCollision in Bath, PA. They have the same wheel but the guys asked me if I needed Brillant Silver finish or regular silver ?

He mentioned if it is regular finish they can do it but if it is Brillant they can't ... since one here has that color.

Any help would be appreciated.

- rajs
Old 03-26-2004, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
It is Brilliant... AMG wheels are a pain to color match due to the peral in them. Never found anyone that can do it 100% .
Old 03-26-2004, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL500 Sport Package
Thanks -- even though I don't like the answer <grin>.

I guess I am in the market for a new wheel to replace the existing one ... and also I think I will buy 4 new wheels for the summer.

Any one have any recommendations ... I am considering the 2004 SL 500 Sports Package AMG wheels (the ones that seem to have a starfish sort of design).

- rajs
Old 03-26-2004, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have Style III (5 thin spokes) on your car now? And are you thinking of getting the Style IV (double spokes)??
Old 03-26-2004, 08:40 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts
The paint is not exactly brilliant silver as that color is for the body of the car. I had a lot of trouble getting the code for the replacement paint for the newer rims but finally got an authorized MB paint shop to mix a small bottle for me. They actually made two bottles, one called bright aluminum and one just aluminum. The paint has a brighter more refective finish than brilliant silver. You can see the difference on a brand new silver benz at the dealer, the rims are brighter than the finish of the car. As the AMG thin spokes get older and the clear coat isn't as clear the color will not match as well, but since your car is an 03 you should be ok with the paint I mentioned above.