Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Problem with W220 S500's rear suspension - HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 03:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 Mercedes S500
Exclamation Problem with W220 S500's rear suspension - HELP!

Here's my dillemma:
So I purchased an RB tech lowering kit for my '00 S500. I was able to do the simple install myself with some friends and dropped the car, except that the rear was still an inch higher than the front. being the perfectionist that i am, i went back to adjust the rear suspension. (which can be adjusted from the adjusting rod). After messing with it a couple times and bringing it down from the lift it would either be way too high or too low. After 4 tries it looked good, so I took it for a test drive and soonafter heard a sound. Putting it back on the lift I noticed the rear turn angle sensor broke. So I bought the part from mercedes for $173 and we installed it again. After bringing the car down, it is still very low! So low the fenders are pretty much resting on the tires. I'm not driving my car to make sure nothing happens and it's been a couple weeks now since I've been away. Does anyone have any advice for me as to what I should do? I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 Mercedes S500
anyone???
Old 04-20-2004, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Re: Problem with W220 S500's rear suspension - HELP!

The suspension of the W220 is quite complex (it's hydrolic control), and they're wired to lower/raise the car depend on speed/load.
I would recommend letting the pro taking care of the job.
Originally posted by ArMaNi S500
Here's my dillemma:
So I purchased an RB tech lowering kit for my '00 S500. I was able to do the simple install myself with some friends and dropped the car, except that the rear was still an inch higher than the front. being the perfectionist that i am, i went back to adjust the rear suspension. (which can be adjusted from the adjusting rod). After messing with it a couple times and bringing it down from the lift it would either be way too high or too low. After 4 tries it looked good, so I took it for a test drive and soonafter heard a sound. Putting it back on the lift I noticed the rear turn angle sensor broke. So I bought the part from mercedes for $173 and we installed it again. After bringing the car down, it is still very low! So low the fenders are pretty much resting on the tires. I'm not driving my car to make sure nothing happens and it's been a couple weeks now since I've been away. Does anyone have any advice for me as to what I should do? I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.