Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

My rotor screws!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 12:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 2000 w/GPS
Angry My rotor screw!

Guys,

When I changed out my right front rotor, I accidentely over torqued my rotor screw so the screw broke off. Tried to drilled out that thing, But it was just too hard. So when I mounted the Disc, I just have to use couple of lug bolts to hold the rotor inplace then mounted the pads.

My question is what is the purpose of the rotor screw? Is that just used in the assembly line to hold that in place? because I don't think is necessary to have that since we have 5 lug bolts to hold the disc tight. any inputs? any of you guys have rotor screw broke off and left it out?

thanks.

Last edited by kicker; 05-14-2004 at 08:09 AM.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:55 AM
Almost a Member!

Took a mechanic course a while back.. you probably know about this, but anyway, the instructor kept on referring to MB and how it is a ***** to work on ... certain parts are hard to get to, you may need to take down entire assembly of parts to get to one little thing as well, you have to be very careful in the torque spec.. otherwise anything too tight may break it.

I work on my other cars, but I have yet to have the guts to experiment with my W210. I am afraid I may touch something and the freakin ECU resets itself and won't start the damn thing...
Old 05-14-2004, 08:06 AM

E320 2000 w/GPS
Torque wrenches

Originally posted by TorontoW210
Took a mechanic course a while back.. you probably know about this, but anyway, the instructor kept on referring to MB and how it is a ***** to work on ... certain parts are hard to get to, you may need to take down entire assembly of parts to get to one little thing as well, you have to be very careful in the torque spec.. otherwise anything too tight may break it.

I work on my other cars, but I have yet to have the guts to experiment with my W210. I am afraid I may touch something and the freakin ECU resets itself and won't start the damn thing...
Well, I did use the torque wrench on this screw and it's a smaller torque wrench, I think we only use like 12lb on that screw, and was waiting for that click sound. but it didn't click instead click on the screw oh, well, I guess I just have to live with the broken screw in it.
Old 05-14-2004, 08:56 AM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
don't worry about it unless the rotor will not sit flush against the hub .....
Old 05-14-2004, 11:23 AM
Almost a Member!

good luck !
Old 05-14-2004, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Originally posted by Luke@tirerack
don't worry about it unless the rotor will not sit flush against the hub .....
That's what I'm sayin...
Old 05-15-2004, 10:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Get some really hard drill bits and drill it out. Then retap the threads and you're all set. I usually don't use a torque wrench unless it's something critical. This is because I've had quite a few bolts snap on me while torquing them down with a torque wrench.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:21 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
W204 C300 2010
I broke one off too, but maybe my thread were clean... Even though the hole is countersunk, the once I took the rotor off, I was able to grab the broken piece with somce diagonal wire cutter pliers. The sharp edges were enough to back out the broken piece. Otherwise, the drill and "easy out" tap will work. You can get "easy out" taps at Sears for sure, but I saw them at the Autozone too.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:14 PM

E320 2000 w/GPS
broke off easy out too!

Originally posted by rob_fed
I broke one off too, but maybe my thread were clean... Even though the hole is countersunk, the once I took the rotor off, I was able to grab the broken piece with somce diagonal wire cutter pliers. The sharp edges were enough to back out the broken piece. Otherwise, the drill and "easy out" tap will work. You can get "easy out" taps at Sears for sure, but I saw them at the Autozone too.
I did went to sears bought a set of easy out. It had two different kind of bits on each end, one for pre drill hole to screw in, the other end is to clockwise them out. When I tried to drill in, the bits got stuck and bind inside screw so tight, I couldn't even tight the screw gun with that bit. It keeps slipping off. So I use the socket wrench try to turn the bit. (the middle of the bit screw had a hex pattern) and the bit just broke right in half! What a piece of cheap you know what! So Now I just left the broken screw in there any way we don't really need that screw.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:24 AM

Hi,
This happened to both screws on my son's 91 LS400. I went to Checkers and got a kit (forgot the name) that has 5 bit-like (different sizes). I drilled each screw and pound the appropriate ly sized bit into the screw, used a vice to grab hold the bit tightly and unscrewd the screw out. Easy !!!
Good luck
VH
Old 06-03-2004, 09:31 AM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
Originally posted by vyhanh
Hi,
This happened to both screws on my son's 91 LS400. I went to Checkers and got a kit (forgot the name) that has 5 bit-like (different sizes). I drilled each screw and pound the appropriate ly sized bit into the screw, used a vice to grab hold the bit tightly and unscrewd the screw out. Easy !!!
Good luck
VH
they are called "easy-outs"
Old 06-08-2004, 02:41 PM
Almost a Member!

ml430
rotors

I recently put new rotors on my 99 ml430. They are ebc slotted and dimpled rotors I got through tire rack. I like them and they are surprisingly easy to change. The only hangup I had is that the alignment hole does NOT align on the fronts. It took several days of frustrating calls to learn if this really mattered or not - in the end the answer was you do not need to use the alignment screw.
Interestingly, the only answer from ebc is that their products are made to fit/specs. I like the rotors, and have obviously used them without the alignment screw.