Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

What are the advantages of PS2 over Falken ze 512?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 04
What are the advantages of PS2 over Falken ze 512?

Tire Rack Lord do you sell the Falken ziex 512 or have any experience with these tires .Consumer reports gave them a very good rating.Beside being less expensive ,anything else that you know of.
Are the Ziex 512 even rated for the E55 2004.Reason that I am asking is because I went to fix a flat on my car and the shop owner said that the 512 are better then the PS2's for everyday performance.
PS: He sells both tires but the 512's cost half as much as the PS2.
I know this guy for a while,I dont Think he would bs me .I would think that he would make more money off the more expensive tire if money over good public relations was his interest.
Thank you in advance!
Old 05-20-2004, 11:43 AM

2004 CLK320
Cool

I am very happy with my PS2s, but have no experience with Falkens. As to the comment that he'd make more money selling the Michelins - not true at all. He may have a higher markup on the Falkens than the Michelins, who knows. He may get a factory hold back if he sells more Falkens but not with Michelins. He may not have the correct Michelin in stock. Or he may actually believe that the Falkens are a better tyre.....
Old 05-20-2004, 04:58 PM

E55 04
Thanks for the comments my Texan friend.I only read good things about those PS2's .Guess nobody has any experience with the 512's.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:16 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 224 Likes on 162 Posts
I've tried many different high perf tires over the years, Michelin's have always been consitantly better in quality. They are worth the $ diff.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:22 AM

E320 2000 w/GPS
Re: What are the advantages of PS2 over Falken ze 512?

Originally posted by fddiaz
Tire Rack Lord do you sell the Falken ziex 512 or have any experience with these tires .Consumer reports gave them a very good rating.Beside being less expensive ,anything else that you know of.
Are the Ziex 512 even rated for the E55 2004.Reason that I am asking is because I went to fix a flat on my car and the shop owner said that the 512 are better then the PS2's for everyday performance.
PS: He sells both tires but the 512's cost half as much as the PS2.
I know this guy for a while,I dont Think he would bs me .I would think that he would make more money off the more expensive tire if money over good public relations was his interest.
Thank you in advance!
My rear set are Ziex512x. they are good tires! I have 265/35/18 for the rear. pretty quiet. I friend just bought a set too. No problems so far.
Old 05-24-2004, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
I have the Falken Ziex 512 all around. They are indeed highly rated in many circles and are considerably cheaper than more mainstream brands (like the Michelin Pilot Sport). Looking at the numbers, it seems the Pilots are better, but probably not worth the HUGE difference in price.

The Ziex 512 are all season tires. Grip is excellent in the dry and wet. Dry cornerning grip is MUCH IMPROVED over my stock Continentals. Don't know about snow traction (won't find out either cause I switch to winter tires). I do notice that they are a bit louder on the highway, when compared to my stock Continentals.
Old 05-31-2004, 03:39 PM

I had the Falken 512 in my 03' C-230 coupe for about 5 months. At the beginning, it seems to be OK but after 2000-3000 miles on it. The coupe develop some noise everytime it is coming to the stop and the feel of the brake is not as it should be before. I
thought this is a brake problem and bring my car in to MB to check that out and they said that it is the tires problem. Eventually I went back to Dicount Tires and thety agreed to replaced the tires with prorated. I ended up getting the original continental back on the car and the car drive and stop much better just like new. The Falken is just not for MB. Don't make the same mistake that I make and buy tires based on price.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:05 PM

E55 04
Thanks for the feedback ,i will be going with the ps2's.
Old 06-06-2004, 04:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI;'04 S2k;'94 Supra TT;'10 QX56;'38 Buick;98 Port City Offset Late Model
PS2 is a (the) top of the line performance tire currently available. Some say the P-Zero Russo is better all around, but no doubt the PS2 has the edge in the dry and definitely newer tech than the Bridgestone S-03.

The ZE512 is an all season tire (the AT115 is the summer tire) that was top rated by consumer reports and generally gets good reviews. Tire Rack doesn't carry it; and since Tire Rack is a major source of Internet tire info, there is less information on it available.

Generally the Falkens are supposed to be quiet. Their tread design looks like it should be quiet. So I am surprised that 'hoky' feels that his standard Conti all season tires are quieter.

Queens is not noted for its smooth roads. And the PS2 is low profile only. So I'm not sure it would be my choice (actually I am sure it would not be my choice) for a daily driver in NY or NNJ. It would be (is) my first choice for replacement on my Supra TT (unfortunately it doesn't come in the right sizes yet) or Honda S2000 (it does come in the right sizes for my '04). It is far and away the best choice for a Porsche Turbo or Carrera 4S because of the 295/30-18 size.