Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Question for Luke

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Question for Luke

Hi Luke

I'm running 235/45/17 on my E320 w/ sport wheels. Tires are Michelin Sport Pilot.

Would I have (any sort of) problem if I upgrade to 245/45/17 ? I want a little taller tire wall, ride is a bit stiff in my car, especially w/ Bilstein HD shock.

How's the Yokohama Avid H4S goes ? I'm putting about 30-35K mile/year on my car, and am not looking forward to changing tire every 6 months. How does this tire compared against the Sport Pilot in term of handling, look, and wear ?

Do you have any other recommendation ? I'm looking at most $150/tire.

Thanks
Old 06-01-2004, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
i am sorry this is offtopic, but what's the significance of zam in your username?
Old 06-02-2004, 09:13 AM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
I would not recommend the 245 tire size for your car .... your ride quality issues can be resolved with tire selection and maybe even something as easy as an air pressure adjustment ..... what pressure do you currently use ???
Old 06-02-2004, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Hi Luke

I run 34 (cold) on all four. It used to be 40 psi. Now, the ride is a little better. My tire worn out more in the middle, so I guess the former owner overinflated them.

What's your take on the Yokohama Avid H4S ? Compared to the Sport Pilot (I am aware that it is not as good as the Sport Pilot), how is it ? Giving my driving style (lot of mile, 35K/year, sometime spirit), do you have other recommendations for 235/45/17 ?

I've always gone with Michelin MXV4 when riding regular wheels, and very happy with them (noise, tread, traction). Just switch to low profile on both of my cars lately, and am very much clueless about it.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Luke@tirerack
I would not recommend the 245 tire size for your car .... your ride quality issues can be resolved with tire selection and maybe even something as easy as an air pressure adjustment ..... what pressure do you currently use ???
Old 06-02-2004, 10:29 AM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
here is a list of my the top recommendations for your car

FIRESTONE FIREHAWK SZ50 EP 156.00 (soon to be discontinued)

BRIDGESTONE TURANZA LS-Z 220.00 (40,000 mile warranty and truely a great tire)

YOKOHAMA AVS DB S2 145.00 (real quiet when new)

BRIDGESTONE POZ RE950 169.00 (fantastic steering response but might not be the best for your needs)

BF GOODRICH TRACTION T/A HR 111.00 (very well rounded tire)

YOKOHAMA AVID H4S RF 102.00 (rather un-inspiring handling but reasonably decent ride quality)