Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

ADV1 sucks!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 07:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 E63s
ADV1 sucks!

Hi there,

I don't usually post much, but wanted to make everyone aware, before you make a $10K mistake like I did and buy a set of ADV1 wheels.
Long story short, I had my 3pc forged wheels installed for just over 3K miles and 2 years and I started noticing hair line cracks on two of the spokes on a right side rear wheel.
No vibration even at high speeds and tire was perfectly fine with no bubbles that would indicate an impact.
I barely drive my car(1500 miles a year) and definitely don't recall hitting any potholes(I live in the far west suburbs of Chicago and roads are actually decent here).
I took it to 3 independent shops in the vicinity and all 3 of them called for a structural damage due to poor manufacturing.
I contacted ADV1 right away and they requested detail pictures and of course as you all expected, their engineering team said that there is no fault on their end, because wheel passed their initial inspection before it was sold!?
I was generously offered 20% off the 'retail price" and that price came back $600 higher then the selling price paid 2 years ago!
After multiple e-mails and voicemails, they agreed to match the price from 2 years ago... I gave them my credit card number and I was told that the order was placed on June 26th.
On July 31st I sent them a follow up e-mail to check on the status of the order. Sales person coordinating it,that previously confirmed the order was placed, asked me who I was!
I then again asked for the order status updated and didn't hear back from him for over a week now. I also sent an e-mail to the manager with no response of any kind and it also been over a week!
I'm believe that they forgot to place it and simply decided to ignore me.
For the price this company is charging I guess I was expecting the highest level quality and customer service...
I didn't experience either and highly recommend for you to learn on my mistake and to stay away from them and their products!
I have never experience such terrible customer service ever and I will make it my mission to make everyone I know aware of my situation.
I'm just happy I noticed the defect before anything bad happened!

Thanks for your time!
Old 08-05-2020, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 908 Likes on 638 Posts
E63S | X5
My 3pc ADV's didn't fair too well either. I found (while on a trip) that the securing bolts had snapped. Not just one or two, half of them... And the car was driving fine.

I wont say it's just the nature of a 3pc wheel, but 3pc is prone to more problems than mono's.

If there is a positive experience from my ADV's it's that I'll never buy 3pc wheels again.
Old 08-17-2020, 10:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML 400
That's very unfortunate. Those were expensive wheels. You might want to check out 4wheelonline for affordable aftermarket rims.
Old 08-17-2020, 11:37 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,412 Likes on 2,854 Posts
2012 CLS63
ADV.1 is CRAP, they're service is CRAP too, which is why HRE is the better choice....at least IME they have been. I've purchased 6 sets from them.

Sorry to hear about the issue's OP, GL to ya!
Old 08-23-2020, 10:38 AM

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts
001 s600, 94 sl600
The subject is durability of 3 piece wheel vs 1 piece wheels. I happen to own and drive my 1994 sl-600 riding on staggered 17" OZ racing 3 piece wheels much wider than 'stock'. I purchased the set 'used' and found all 6 (a spare for both front and rear sizes) were bent --both on the bead flanges and the wide barrels. I took them to a 'Wheel and Tire Expert' who disassembled them and reconditioned and repaired every tiny nick,every bend and crack. treating them as if they were aircraft propellers and avoiding any stress raisers. . These are magnesium alloy (F-1 certified) and much stiffer than typical aluminum alloy and require special techniques to straighten and weld any cracks (mainly more and hotter heating before straightening or welding and then stress relieving the welded areas and then the entire barrel. When the expert craftsmen completed the work the 6 wheels looked and measured as new in all respects.Run-outs were essentially ZERO--all less than 0.005". The tires were carefully mounted and 'road force trued' on the best Hunter machine so the resulting wheel/tire was both true, round, and rode round. Wheel hubs were cleaned and carefully leveled by small grinder use as necessary to bring any hub mounting face run-out to below 0.005" Yes I was very '****' but the result is fantastic smoothness.

The much more expensive 3 piece wheels are usually larger diameter wheels fitted with 'ultra low-profile tires', for aesthetic purposes. The ultra-low profile tires provide a much sharper 'turn-in' response and the wider tread gives more traction. HOWEVER, the much 'lower' sidewall height does not absorb pothole and or any 'sharp' edged bump to avoid rim contact and damage. The wheel/tire assembly requires much higher inflation pressure to operate at the correct amount of sidewall deflection, and this results in a 'harsh ride' over even minor road surface irregularities. This causes many driver to lower the tire pressure for a 'better ride.' However, that 'too-low' inflation pressure not only is dangerous for the tires, but dramatically decreases the ability for the tires to absorb sharp bumps like 'potholes' and curbs without damaging the rims. The bead portion as well as the 'barrels' are much more likely to be damaged on our 'typical streets' than 'normal profile' tires and wheels.