Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Steering Wheel Vibration Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 12:39 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 ML 320
Question Steering Wheel Vibration Problems

(I've already posted this question on the ML Forum, but I thought I'd give this forum a shot as well.)

I have a brand new 2002 ML320. From the day I picked it up, I have had vibration in the steering wheel when going at speeds between 60 - 80 mph.

I've had the dealership work on it 3 times now. They have balanced, rotated, and even replaced 2 of the tires. Nothing seems to work. (Granted, I am very particular about what I consider acceptable vibration....)

The strangest thing is that the vibration intensity varys from day-to-day and even from morning to evening. Sometimes it feels like it's almost perfect and then all of a sudden the vibration is there again. It is VERY frustrating and very strange.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Does anyone have any suggestions about a fix? Could it be something other then the tires?

Thank you, in advance, for your help.

Dirk
Old 05-09-2002, 01:15 PM

'01 CLK320
I have the same thing with my CLK320... but it was never consistent so I never thought anything of it. I always thought it was the road I was on.

I've heard the same complaint from quite a few people lately... so I'm guess we're either all too picky, or this is a genuine problem.

Next time I'm at the dealer I'll be sure to mention it - not that you've had any luck with them fixing it.
Old 05-09-2002, 11:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you using the wheels that normally come on the ML?
Old 05-10-2002, 02:44 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 ML 320
Yes

Yes, the car is only 4 weeks old and I have the standard Dunlops that came with the ML320 on delivery.
Old 05-10-2002, 08:04 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Yes

Originally posted by bottedi
Yes, the car is only 4 weeks old and I have the standard Dunlops that came with the ML320 on delivery.
Are you able to duplicate the problem with a MB tech inside the truck?? That way he can also see what's going on.
Old 05-11-2002, 11:24 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts
Exclamation

Find a shop that has a Hunter gsp 9700 wheel balancer and most importantly a shop that knows how to use it to its fullest extent. You can call the sales rep for Hunter in your area and ask him/her which of the shops that have his machine knows it best.

RJC
Old 05-12-2002, 10:02 AM

All of them, as much as I can...
Unhappy OMG, this IS a MB epidemic!

I feel bad for you but sort of relieved I'm not alone. Jam55 and RJC knows what I went through...
Vibration between 60 and 80mph is definitely a wheel balance problem.
I won't go into my ordeal but quite similar to yours. I had to go to an independent shop and bring back Hunter printouts to prove my case to the service dept. They still insisted I was wrong and asked me to stand next to the wheel balancer as they performed the tests. Boy, they sure got red-faced when they did the test again and the tire failed, then progressively got worse after the tire warmed up with the road force applied. I got 1 tire replaced. This may be an epidemic! Did MB stop putting steering dampeners on the newer models? My SL had one that I replaced after 50K miles and it was a really cheap tuneup and got rid of some jiggles on the steering wheel.
Check this site and go to the shop locator, make sure the tech KNOWS how to use the machine, and he MUST do the high/low point matching and road force tests. Ask him to save the printouts. Don't be surprised if it shows your dealer has one. Mine did.

GSP9700