Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

AMG forged black wheels versus return to OEM cast

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 03:00 PM
exi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
--
AMG forged black wheels versus return to OEM cast

Recently picked up a CPO S63 Coupe which came with the forged cross-spoke black wheels (these, apologies for MBParts' low-res image; better image here).

For aesthetic purposes on a black car, I'm thinking about swapping over to the cast OEM wheels that came with that model year (these / other pic here).

I'm hesitant to do so because:
- I tend to keep my cars pretty factory these days, sticking only to reversible electronics installs and window tint and the like;
- Not wanting to deal with haggling to ensure I get an appropriately good deal on the sale of my more expensive but used forged wheels, unless dealing with a shop or dealership directly that handles the swap and doesn't lowball, and;
- The forged versus cast debate, with the former generally being seen as stronger / "better" as I understand it.

Just curious as to others' thoughts. It's not that I hate the current aesthetic; just that I'm thinking I'd like a little more contrast but wondering if I'd be better served by sticking with what I have.
Old 05-11-2024, 11:25 AM

Received 91 Likes on 66 Posts
S 550, S65 Coupe
If you are looking to sell them I would be interested. And I do agree with you silver wheels look better on dark colors.
Old 05-16-2024, 12:00 PM

Received 213 Likes on 137 Posts
2001 S600 V12 Sold, 2011 Jaguar XFR Sold, 2017 S550 4-Matic, 2018 S63 AMG Sedan
Curious if you decided to sell or not. I have a white 2018 S63 sedan.
Old 05-16-2024, 12:03 PM
exi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
--
Originally Posted by carlosinseattle
Curious if you decided to sell or not. I have a white 2018 S63 sedan.
Have kept for now or until I come across a good deal on the wheels above and a good sale price for my current ones. Whole thing has been on back burner.
Old 05-16-2024, 12:41 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Mercedes-Benz Vision EQS
In my opinion, forged wheels are usually better than cast ones. They're made by squishing aluminum really hard, which makes them stronger and lighter. Because they're denser, they can handle rough roads or intense driving situations better.