Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Winter Tires For New 03 SL500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 12:23 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL500 Sports Package
Winter Tires For New 03 SL500

Hi -

I have the sports package so the staggered wheels sizes are:

front: 255/40 - 18
rear: 285/35 - 18

Here is my problem, Seattle rarely snows, however I like to drive to Whistler to go snowboard a couple of times a month. The road to Whistler is very well maintained but they do reccomend traction or snow tires, they plow, sand and salt the road.

My question is this, the stock Michelin Pilot Sports, are they good enough if I slow down? You can get the Pilot Sport in an all season for the car. Does this make enough of a difference to justify spending $1300 so I can feel like I'm not going to crash on my way to snow board heaven??

Also is there a better winter tire that I should get then the all seasons?

If I do get something I will be buying from the the Tire Rack which I did before with my CLK430.

One more question I wasn't planning on buying rims but may change my mind if the advantage clearly outweighs the costs involved. ( the all seasons I guess would not have to be switched even )

Old 12-01-2004, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 SL 500
I just bought an old 4 wheel drive for little more than it would have cost for tires and wheels for my SL. If you're only going twice a month, I'd rent a 4 wheel drive and not take the chance on screwing up your SL.
Also, "traction or snow" doesn't include the tires you mentioned AFAIK. They have to have the snowflake/mountain symbol on them.

S

Last edited by SilverSL500; 12-01-2004 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:55 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
if you are venturing into the winter conditions ... get winter tires and your current tires will be absolutely useless in any amount of snow