Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

The BIG difference between an old and new lug bolt? Or am I wrong

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2004 | 02:44 PM

Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
The BIG difference between an old and new lug bolt? Or am I wrong

These are E-class two lug bolts that I recently bought from the MB dealer.

- The lug bolt on the left is for a W210 (1996 – 2002) E class wheel, which has 12mm threads.
- The lug bolt on the right is for a W211 (2003 – 2005) E class wheel, which has 14mm threads.

One can immediately see the difference not only in the size of the threads but also the size of the ball seat. Clearly, the 14mm lug has a commensurately larger ball seat which only shows why one cannot use a smaller lug bolt for a newer e-class model wheel.

However, can someone explain to me (Luke – be my guest to expound any response) why both bolts are drastically different in length? I understand the difference between threads and that the newer bolt 14mm threads are stronger (being thicker) than 12mm threads. But why would the 14mm bolt be shorter? If the bolts are normally tightened into the hub with at least six turns then that would be equivalent to at least half an inch set-in into the wheel hub, then that means the wheels (rims) for the 2004 E class would only be about half an inch thick compared to the older 2002 E class wheels (rim) which would have a good 1 inch thickness? Either the above is true then I do not see any strength advantage the 14 mm lug would have over the 12mm lug being that the wheel (rim) is actually thinner (and therefore weaker?)

Like I said, I am still trying to figure this one out and the dealer may have given me the wrong bolts but the they checked the part numbers in their computer and these are the correct bolts.

Can someone explain this to me? Luke?
Attached Thumbnails The BIG difference between an old and new lug bolt?  Or am I wrong-mb-bolts.jpg  
Old 12-29-2004 | 04:06 PM

Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
Sweet holy cow! I just realized I am now a member after posting that question. Two years of "almost a member" behind me. Thank goodness.

Anyway, any experts out there care to answer my question above???

Luke?
Old 12-29-2004 | 05:31 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

depends on the weather
simple ... some wheels have excessive material in the mounting flange area so, that they can de machined to different offset for other applications while others can not
Old 12-29-2004 | 10:14 PM

So the older W210 E class wheels have one inch thick flanges!? That's pretty excessive in my opinion. At least we know that MB made some good changes to the newer W211 wheels.

Luke, can you confirm at least that the bolts are correct as stated for the particular models (with the appropriate wheels of course.)

Thanks.