Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Can you lower a car with ABC suspension using shorter springs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2002, 06:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS350
Can you lower a car with ABC suspension using shorter springs?

Maybe this question has been asked before, I read some where that a mercedes with ABC can be turned to a sport mode, which lowers the suspension and tightens the ride. But if i want to lower my car more, can i use a set of H&R's or Eibachs? thanks.
Old 06-05-2002, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
The only way to lower an ABC equipped vehicle is by means of either 1. reporgramming the ABC unit, which I have been told is possible via the star Diag. Laptop or 2. buying a reworked ABC controller from aftermarket sources such as Kleemann.
Old 06-05-2002, 11:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is another cheaper way to lower all airmatic / ABC cars.

It involves tricking the car into thinking its at a higher height, therefore it will not raise the car as much.

RB Tech sells a part, but its expensive.

Contact Sander at The Wheel Supply. He'll tell you all the information you'll need.

714 808 9303

The cost will be like $500 or so total (parts + labor). I will be getting my car lowered, so i'll keep everyone updated.
Old 06-05-2002, 11:47 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AirMatic and ABC lowering

There are two ways to do this.

The first is new or different length "actuator arms" to fit to the shock/airbag assembly that fool the car. These parts are usually pretty poor quality, hard to fit and often provide uneven lowering at each corner. Installing them correctly is a black art but possible.

The second way is a computer interrupt that modofies the elctronic signal from the existing factory sensors. This way allows on the fly custom lowering front and rear with the twist of a potentiometer. Both front and rear wheels are coupled elctronically thorugh this device so lowering is even side to side. Fore and aft lowering are independent for flat or nose down stance.

IMHO the electronic device provides and infinite array of possibilities with simple adjustment and is far more predictable/reliable than the arms.
Old 06-06-2002, 02:41 PM

Bah so negative, Kleemann!

I'll be getting it done next week and i'll keep everyone updated.

I know the RB Tech design was flawed. Sander @ The Wheel Supply is getting his own part made and he won't allow a subpar part on his customer's cars.

Kleemann is right tho on one part, it is "black art' since there are no markings. You have to basically raise the car, adjust the arms, lower the car, and then make corrections. Not for the untrained heh.

Regardless, the most common way to lower airmatic/abc cars is by changing the actuator arms.

I will be getting it done so i'll keep everyone updated.
Old 06-07-2002, 07:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS350
JL88,

Does your S-class have that sport mode button for the suspension? Does it just stiffen the ride or does the car actually lower itself a bit? The mechanic who works at D2 technik in Alhambra said that its really easy to lower the CL500 they have in the showroom, do you think he is talking about using those actuator arms?
Old 06-07-2002, 12:38 PM

Tetza, did you speak to Pete? He used to be the main mechanic at D2, but he works at The Wheel Supply right now.

And yes, that's what he's talking about. They use a part to adjust the actuator arms to lower the car. It is not that difficult, I remember Pete telling me it would take 30 minutes heh.

My car does not have ABC. It just has the regular airmatic system. the 2001 models have a slightly different airmatic system than the 2000's I believe. I can raise the car by .75". I can also adjust the suspension in 3 different settings (normal > stiff > stiffer).

Anyways, PM if you want more details. I'm getting my car lowered by Pete/The Wheel Supply next week.