C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400
View Poll Results: Any problems with your new C-class W205 Mercedes Benz ?
Yes
63.49%
No
36.51%
Voters: 441. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2015, 06:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Specifications and General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Mercedes Benz C-class W205 Problems Malfunction What Is Your Experience ?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.25 average.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by arnold0523

They fix what you asked them to fix.
That and whatever part you usually need, they have to order it...
Old 07-20-2016, 10:48 AM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by kleinebin
That's helpful...

Doesn't the diagnostic software pick up these lights not working?
Not sure about this. Usually there's a code when something is wrong - i don't know if it will throw out a code when the LED is gone...

Also, they may not check the codes to fix the issues you brought up - eg. wind noise.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:11 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2015 C250 AMG Line, Vision, COMMAND, Seat Comfort, Driver Assistance, Parking Assistance W205
There were a number of issues including updating COMMAND and fixing the keyless boot opening and closing hence why I thought they would run diagnostics.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E500
the air conditioning in my new 2016 c450 stopped working two weeks after purchase
Old 07-22-2016, 04:38 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 AMG C63S, Lamborghini Gallardo, 2016, A-class 180
Brand new AMG c63s.

First command started showing Navigation activating please wait.
Yesterday reverse camera screen was black. Volume changer not working, could not switch screen at all. Turned of screen music still playing, turn of car removed the key and opened the door, still playing music

If you go to MB APPS page, everything freezes. Nothing works after that.
I do not know what they are doing to their systems in the car but it sure as hell is not working and sure is frustrating.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W205 Bluetec Sport
Odd occurrence on the M11, the screen grayed out with vertical lines then the satnav rebooted. This happened several times, but appears ok now. The strange bit is that the aircon also stopped and has not restarted; the blower goes very fast, but with ambient air. I guess the car will go to MB next week, meanwhile, any ideas?
Old 08-06-2016, 05:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
W 205 c220d 2018
Recurring Problems?

Hi All,
Just really looking to tap into other owners' experiences if I may.

Background to car is it's an early UK Spec Sport with lowered steel Comfort Suspension, 220CDi Diesel.

It is due it's second service at 2 years (12k miles), but there are a few niggles that I will have them look at and wondered if anybody else has had problems with any of these:

1. Wheels seem to be 'pattering' on severe transverse ridges, eg expansion joints. I'm thinking dampers, but maybe engine / transmission mounting?

2. At motorway speeds I'm hearing a droning noise like wind in roof bars except I don't have those, being a saloon. I've read the posts on here about wind noise and notice I have 3mm glass...is that where the problem lies?

3. Some transmission shunt in 2nd in stop-go traffic. Also take up in 3rd after a down change from 4 tends to jolt. If driving a manual, I would give the throttle a blip!

4. Tyre wear...rears: I'm going to have to change them at 15K miles. On my 204 220 CDi I got 21k, so maybe not too bad. Fronts: could probably go till 25k, but will have to change sooner due to outer edge wear - slight 'fish-tailing' on outers. They are Conti SC 4s or 5s - not sure but on 17s. Any advice on replacement tyres welcome!

Apart from these niggles, this has been a great car; overall fuel consumption has been just short of 50 since I've had it and recently saw 64 on a run of 350 miles.

Many thanks in anticipation of any help / advice on the above.

Ernie
The following users liked this post:
Smirk (07-22-2019)
Old 09-18-2016, 01:22 PM

c250
Wind noise

Just bought C250 about 3weeks .After my complainedabout wind noise and steering wheel noise . The dealer changed the steering shaft and door seal for me. But the problem still maintain. Speed up to 100km/h the wind noise , sound like crazy. The steering wheel sound when car drive on unsmooth road the steering wheel come out a sound again.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:45 AM

W205 C250 Bluetec AMG Line
My Issues

Just over 16 months old now and 15,000km.. still love my W205. Few niggling problems that I am about to have looked at.. Just wondering if anyone has experience some/any/all of them.

First things first; When I first start the car usually 7 out of every 10 starts there is a groaning noise that seems in sync with the steering lowering into position. Quite loud and appears to be coming directly from the steering area. It has been doing it for a few months now.

Second issue; When I start in the morning, I can really hear the Airmatic compressor working, in a very sound proofed cabin, it is very noticeable that wasn't a month or so ago.. I am hoping its not a sign that its on its way out?

Third issue; the right hand side DRL is slightly flickering when dark. I first noticed it when I pulled up to my dark coloured garage door at night and got out, I noticed it shimmering constantly... Does it all the time.. Perhaps on its way out?

Fourth issue and probably the most annoying to date is the amount of dash, binnacle rattles over rough roads, bumps etc. When I first took delivery of it last year, brand new, there was a very rattley noise from the centre console area, around the DVD/CD slot - Comand screen. I took it to the dealer and after being insulted, by asking if I had attempted to pull it apart myself.. They found that the DVD/CD drive itself was actually not bolted in at all (from factory) and they had to sort that out, ever since then, there are squeaks and rattles galore that drives me insane. I am thinking it is because of the console that they had to pull out. Has anyone else had rattles develop.. Also, I am curious if anyone has the same result if they lightly push on the two binnacles, does it make a real rough crackly sound, almost sounds like pushing on foam.

Anyhow, thats a wrap on my short novel for now
Old 09-19-2016, 11:18 AM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
Originally Posted by digitallust_aus
Just over 16 months old now and 15,000km.. still love my W205. Few niggling problems that I am about to have looked at.. Just wondering if anyone has experience some/any/all of them.

First things first; When I first start the car usually 7 out of every 10 starts there is a groaning noise that seems in sync with the steering lowering into position. Quite loud and appears to be coming directly from the steering area. It has been doing it for a few months now.

Second issue; When I start in the morning, I can really hear the Airmatic compressor working, in a very sound proofed cabin, it is very noticeable that wasn't a month or so ago.. I am hoping its not a sign that its on its way out?

Third issue; the right hand side DRL is slightly flickering when dark. I first noticed it when I pulled up to my dark coloured garage door at night and got out, I noticed it shimmering constantly... Does it all the time.. Perhaps on its way out?

Fourth issue and probably the most annoying to date is the amount of dash, binnacle rattles over rough roads, bumps etc. When I first took delivery of it last year, brand new, there was a very rattley noise from the centre console area, around the DVD/CD slot - Comand screen. I took it to the dealer and after being insulted, by asking if I had attempted to pull it apart myself.. They found that the DVD/CD drive itself was actually not bolted in at all (from factory) and they had to sort that out, ever since then, there are squeaks and rattles galore that drives me insane. I am thinking it is because of the console that they had to pull out. Has anyone else had rattles develop.. Also, I am curious if anyone has the same result if they lightly push on the two binnacles, does it make a real rough crackly sound, almost sounds like pushing on foam.

with issue 4, i had rattles coming from nav screen, airbag compartment, doors, and middle dash speaker and the dealer addressed this by taking the necessary parts off an applying felt tape on the inside of the plastic parts that were rattling. Now I have no rattling. Also my pano roof was creaking during the winter but I applied some WD-40 to the seals and now that is silent as well.
The following users liked this post:
digitallust_aus (09-27-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 04:54 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
benzw205
Originally Posted by jbbeauso
So I'm stuck in a parking lot at 7:30 pm with a trunk full of groceries waiting for roadside assistance to arrive. I got an error message that there is a power steering malfunction! I'm not able to turn the steering wheel. 3182km on the vehicle. You've got to be kidding you might say.... I kid you not. They are going to tow the car to the dealership and then I'm on my own to find a ride home.

Usual problem it seems ?

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...lfunction.html

Did it happen again to you ?
Old 12-12-2016, 09:50 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
E class, C class
So far the car has done just over 1500 miles, besides the creaking suspension, I am now noticing a rattle coming from the door panel/ A pillar and perhaps from the central speaker. The odd thing is the car was rattling on my way to my destination but on the return trip, all the rattling is gone. The roads are the same, the suspension still creaks though.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C450
Not even 2 weeks of ownership and my C450 has a bad tachometer. Stuck at 3000rpm when car is off.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:50 PM

c300
C300 - collision assist inoperative, check engine light, excellerating on its own

This is our 3rd c300.. and the first one we have ever had issues with. It was a year old on the 28 Dec

So I keep getting these dashboard warnings. Paired with the car sticking... in 1st gear and then creeping along and then just jumping to 5th gear. And it always seems to be when I'm siting at a light.. the light turns green and when I give it gas.. I turtle into the intersection. Even smashing the gas to the floor does nothing.. and after about 25 long seconds of dangerously hanging out in a busy intersection.. the car just takes off!

I've had it into service. And was told that it's because I was putting reg gas (87) into the tank The car was bought with 5 miles on it.. and have always put 87 in... and now is the first that I'm having issues. Grant it.. the car has been in sunny FL most of its life and may just be acting out to the -26 degree temp of Chicago.. but it's going back into the shop... and yes! Since my service advisor said 91 or higher... I have been putting in nothing but 93.. and I even did a fuel line clean out.. and it's still acting goofy...

I'm having issues with the car saying it can't locate the key even tho the key is in my coat pocket I'm wearing... it won't find the key even when I put the key right up to the push to start button.. I usually have to push the panic button 3 times and it seems to reset???

Anyone else having these issues?
Attached Thumbnails Mercedes Benz C-class W205 Problems Malfunction What Is Your Experience ?-img_0882.jpg   Mercedes Benz C-class W205 Problems Malfunction What Is Your Experience ?-img_0883.jpg  
Old 01-10-2017, 03:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 C43
I had that same issue with the warning lights...
this is what they did to fix it. Never came back after.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ml#post6659901

Originally Posted by JLeigh

This is our 3rd c300.. and the first one we have ever had issues with. It was a year old on the 28 Dec

So I keep getting these dashboard warnings. Paired with the car sticking... in 1st gear and then creeping along and then just jumping to 5th gear. And it always seems to be when I'm siting at a light.. the light turns green and when I give it gas.. I turtle into the intersection. Even smashing the gas to the floor does nothing.. and after about 25 long seconds of dangerously hanging out in a busy intersection.. the car just takes off!

I've had it into service. And was told that it's because I was putting reg gas (87) into the tank The car was bought with 5 miles on it.. and have always put 87 in... and now is the first that I'm having issues. Grant it.. the car has been in sunny FL most of its life and may just be acting out to the -26 degree temp of Chicago.. but it's going back into the shop... and yes! Since my service advisor said 91 or higher... I have been putting in nothing but 93.. and I even did a fuel line clean out.. and it's still acting goofy...

I'm having issues with the car saying it can't locate the key even tho the key is in my coat pocket I'm wearing... it won't find the key even when I put the key right up to the push to start button.. I usually have to push the panic button 3 times and it seems to reset???

Anyone else having these issues?
Old 01-10-2017, 07:51 PM

2016 C300
I've had my car for over 7 months now and nothing to report but.... One time when I was using cruise control, the readout said I had a dirty radar sensor. That was in the first month I took delivery of the car. Admittedly I haven't used cruise since to check if it's really an issue. So I voted NO in the poll.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 115 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
At around 97x miles, I started my car in the morning (just drove it the previous night and everything was running smooth) and it wouldn't shift into any gear. It would just engage Park and disengage it to Neutral.

Had it towed (hence avatar pic) to the dealer and after a day of working on it they had it back to me. Told me a solenoid bracket had sheered off. I tried to inquire further but they wouldn't really give me specifics. Shady. They also said that it was the second instance that they had dealt with on this car. Not sure if that was 450 specific or not.

Oh well, that's what warranties are for and thankfully that's been the only issue thus far in 3 months of ownership.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 115 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
Originally Posted by audiom3
I've had my car for over 7 months now and nothing to report but.... One time when I was using cruise control, the readout said I had a dirty radar sensor. That was in the first month I took delivery of the car. Admittedly I haven't used cruise since to check if it's really an issue. So I voted NO in the poll.
Haha that's not an "issue" my man. Just means you need to wash your car more often
Old 02-14-2017, 05:02 PM

C180 W205
Hello and nice to meet you!
I just bought a C180, and I'm facing my first problem: today I tried to play a cd, but it' s not going inside the unit( no other cd is inside, and the unit it's trying to pull the cd, but I cannot fit it) . I noticed that it's hitting something on the right side( the cd in going inside only 1/4 ). Any ideas before going to the dealer?
Thanks!
Old 02-14-2017, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
Same damn thing happened to me on my honeymoon. Try giving the car some tequila shots. If that doesn't work see if there's a different slot your disk fits in. It's best to try that when the car is off though.

JK. If the eject button does nothing it needs to go to the dealership.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:20 PM

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts
C300 S205 AMG, GLA 45 AMG
Originally Posted by digitallust_aus

Flickering LED's normally means they are on their way out.. this model was plagued with the door handle LED's failing on 2015 builds..
Dealer to replace..

Re your interior noise and articles in the dash centre not affixed.
Same here.. Germans forgot to put their best or nothing vehicle together ..
As they were clearly too busy sorting out refugees I decided to practically strip the interior, sound proof and assemble mine correctly..
Its been serene for over 12months now..
Its BS that this crap quality made it to market though.. KIA have done better than MB did in this regard....
Old 02-14-2017, 06:45 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
2023 EQS 450+ 2022 Kia Carnival
My C300's infotainment system has been great. No issues whatsoever.
However, my powertrain had some issues.

List:
1. Steering column failure - car refuse to start all the light came on (took 30 days to repair)
2. Airbag error- (replaced the sensor)
3. Rattle noise from the door. (Great job by MB no noise at all)
4. Transmission shock (I just live with it.)
5. Forward Collision warning sensor failure (replaced)
6. Steering vibration - tires and rims were good. The tech drove with me speed about 68
he said no vibration. Must have been the bad road surface. (No solution)
7. Key does not lock (reprogrammed the whole thing replaced battery on the keys)
Old 03-15-2017, 12:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C400 4Matic Black
I went through all 23 pages of posts looking for the brand of OBDII scanner that will work with the W205.
So, anyone know which brands/models will work with the W205 (2015 C400 in particular) ?
Old 04-03-2017, 08:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
W205 C250
Rear differential starting to fail @ 50000km.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
Is it whining when you come off the throttle?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.25 average.

Quick Reply: Mercedes Benz C-class W205 Problems Malfunction What Is Your Experience ?