C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Oil level readings? oil leak? or problem with sensor?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 AMG
Oil level readings? oil leak? or problem with sensor?

Hi all, im having a bit of a hard time with my C55.

Last week it had an oil change, as well as spark plug change, changed the 4 breather hoses, and replaced the valve cover main gaskets and top ones as well, so they are definitely not leaking.

Now ive had this problem for a while, that's why I had the work done, because I knew the covers were leaking a little. The problem is, the computer is telling me already that I need to put 1Litre of oil in, and it changed its mind from 1.5L. Frankly I don't trust the sensor 1 little bit, is there any way I can check the oil with a dipstick, manually?

I think it might be the transmission leaking a little, as I could see a bit on it, but it doesn't look too bad, definitely not 1 litre anyways in about 200 miles of driving.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:24 PM
pjg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 CLK55 AMG
Here are the dipstick measurements brief version.

You can find more info here: https://mbworld.org/forums/clk55-amg...dip-stick.html

Last edited by pjg; 06-19-2015 at 06:46 AM. Reason: added link
Old 06-18-2015, 09:21 PM

Mercedes C55 AMG, MB GLE400, Porsche 997, Ford Focus ST, Honda Accord
You mention oil leak and the reading on the cluster and then you mention the transmission, on the dashboard, it only gives you engine oil level and not transmission and they are not interconnected, not at least in term of fluid.
In fact, they use really different type of oil...
Old 06-19-2015, 03:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C32
I think what he meant was that he cannot visible see any ENGINE oil leak, While he has noticed some TRANSMISSION fuild leaking.?!

Best is get a dipstick and measure as pjg mentioned above and he furnished a dipstick...
Old 06-20-2015, 06:13 AM

C55 AMG
Can these engines run rich? I seem to get a fair bit of black soot on the exhaust tips and back of the car.

Can this be checked with star diagnostics?
Old 06-20-2015, 10:00 AM

Mercedes C55 AMG, MB GLE400, Porsche 997, Ford Focus ST, Honda Accord
yes, it could be checked and you could even check it with any diagnostic tool as it's emissions relevant so any generic diag. tool could see the fault code.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:06 AM

C55 AMG
Ok guys, well since I made this post, I topped it up with 0.5 Litres of oil. I reset the trip, and since then ive only done 143 miles. its telling me again to top up 1 Litre. This is mental, theres no way its using that much and its not leaking.

Should I get the sensor checked out?

Checked that link, was wondering where you put the manual dipstick to check, its that bit at the back of the engine near the MAF then? with the red top on it? Was told that was the transmission fluid.

Also do you guys think it could be the sensor leaking? might need a new sensor and gasket? That's a shame as ive just had the oil and filter changed.

Last edited by Smokey31; 06-26-2015 at 04:11 AM.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:47 AM

C55 AMG
Ive also not had any warnings come up or anything like that.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:11 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2002 C32AMG
Originally Posted by Smokey31
Can these engines run rich? I seem to get a fair bit of black soot on the exhaust tips and back of the car.

Can this be checked with star diagnostics?
maybe that black soot is oil burning in the combustion chamber?

maybe get a compression/leak down test.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:44 AM

2003 C32 AMG
It's not uncommon for an oil level sensor in a w203 to go bad, or give faulty/inaccurate readings. As of right now, the only definitive way to check is to use the mercedes dipstick that has millimeter markings on it, and check based on the specs posted above. If the oil level is ok, and it's still telling you to ad some... well then the sensor is faulty. If the oil level is low, and you don't have an external leak then its likely that the engine is consuming the oil.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:02 AM

C55 AMG
Finally got hold of the dipstick off ebay. Has any1 else got it? The handle doesn't seem to go down to the top of the pipe. Anyways, after 60 miles the oil hasn't moved, but ive just come back off holiday and did about 1200 miles and ive had to put a fair bit in. At least I can monitor it now and see.

The leak is getting looked at on Monday, I want if fixed, as its creating spots on my mums drive and she's not happy lol.

Ive got someone to rev it as much as it lets you in park, about 3.5k 4k I think and it doesn't make any blue smoke, its black, this is overfueling is it not?

I have a friend with a star diagnostic, will it tell me anything on that and can I sort it with it?

Thanks for help in advance.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:54 PM

2003 C32 AMG
It's hard to tell just by exhaust if the engine is burning oil, unless it's really bad. It's possible that one of the crankcase ventilation ports on the top of the valve cover is plugged and causing it to suck liquid oil instead of vapor.. normally due to sludge build up but I think you'd see a lot of smoke.
You're correct that the dipstick won't go in all the way, it's universal and meant for some of the cars with longer dipstick tubes. Just make sure you can feel it touch the bottom of the oil pan. Just monitor the physical oil level and you can gauge oil consumpation/leaks.
Star diagnosis is not going to show you much, but you can read out the actual value of oil level in millimeters as calculated by the sensor to determine accuracy compared to the dipstick. Good luck