Attention to Detail on the C63.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Cars.
Attention to Detail on the C63.

How is the attention to detail on the C63 in your opinion? Exterior Color quality(Orange peel, resistance to scratches,etc.)? Leather quality? Gaps? Squeaks? Rattles?

Has MBZ done well?
Old 11-21-2011, 05:46 PM

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
14 GL550; 14 E63s
I've got 3 years/30k miles on my 2009 and no rattles whatsoever. The only issue I've had was where the leather of the seat meets the plastic backing. It was coming apart, but they fixed it and have had no issues since.

My one gripe is the LATCH system on the rear seats for attaching a car seat. The anchor is tucked pretty deep into the seat so I have to stretch the leather pretty far to get it to snap. Once I take it out it leaves an impression and some wrinkling. I believe they have fixed this on newer years especially in the coupe.

My driver's side bolsters have worn fairly well.

Exterior wise, some of the weather stripping is fading a bit, but everything else has held up quite well.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe
On the orange peel/scratch resistance issue, there isn't a car made today that doesn't have it with all of the VOC crap. Want to see bad paint, check out a new Ferrari. I have seen cars come from the factory with horrible paint that needed immediate correction. I guess what I'm saying is that no car these days is immune to orange peel and scratches/swirls.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars.
So you would rate your overall quality as, "good"?
Old 11-21-2011, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars.
Originally Posted by Shellbmb
I've got 3 years/30k miles on my 2009 and no rattles whatsoever. The only issue I've had was where the leather of the seat meets the plastic backing. It was coming apart, but they fixed it and have had no issues since.

My one gripe is the LATCH system on the rear seats for attaching a car seat. The anchor is tucked pretty deep into the seat so I have to stretch the leather pretty far to get it to snap. Once I take it out it leaves an impression and some wrinkling. I believe they have fixed this on newer years especially in the coupe.

My driver's side bolsters have worn fairly well.

Exterior wise, some of the weather stripping is fading a bit, but everything else has held up quite well.
Originally Posted by gthal
On the orange peel/scratch resistance issue, there isn't a car made today that doesn't have it with all of the VOC crap. Want to see bad paint, check out a new Ferrari. I have seen cars come from the factory with horrible paint that needed immediate correction. I guess what I'm saying is that no car these days is immune to orange peel and scratches/swirls.
That's true, but Orange peel on the 3 series and M3 were blasphemy. It was pretty much obvious to the naked eye.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MBUSA
rock solid for 400+rwhp
Old 11-21-2011, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by gthal
I'm not sure, I may be mistaken here, but I think I remember seeing an Ultimate Factories episode on TV, featuring the Ferrari factory. I believe I remember seeing the paint being checked by hand-- as in someone runs their hands over the paint after the paintjob to check for imperfections. So, that could account for some of the errors that you've seen.

It may have been another manufacturer, though, so perhaps I'm mixing things up.

In my experience with the C63, it is very easy to cause swirls from washing it. It definitely bothers me.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 394 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
true about the orange peel. On bmw's it is a joke. I have a steel grey C63 and I would have to say as compared to cars our price range or higher it is very good. I have an 08 and I think for the amount of power it has it is remarkable how tight this car still is.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:32 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Quality is good, not great. Orange peel is not BMW bad, but clearly visible to me. I may do a wet sand to get rid of it, but the paint is pretty good and hard so even for a black car I can keep it swirl free. The only car I have seen in recent years w/o orange peel on the paint was a Bentley GT Speed, so I'm not at all unhappy with the quality of ours for the $.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars.
So Mike, you would rate the quality as on par with?