Sponsored by:

Breaking Down Calipers for Powdercoating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 12:16 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 AMG GTS
Breaking Down Calipers for Powdercoating

Can someone please explain to me how to properly break down the brake calipers? I want to get them powdercoated (or painted) and there are a few places around me quoting about $250-$300 (is this a good price?). They said it will take about a week from start to finish and that I need to fully break them down, get out any fluids, and make sure they are sealed or something like that. I have no idea what that means. Can somebody walk me through this? Also, is it difficult to take them off? What tools are required?
Old 02-07-2013, 08:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
C63
That's the right way to get them done. Midwest calipers can do the job ( they are in Canada tho )
Old 02-07-2013, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Huracan STO
Easiest way is to take out the bleeder screw and with a blow gun from an air compressor pop them out 1 by 1. Pop the first one out then put it back in a very little bit so you can get the next one out and repeat until they are all out. I charge 50.00 per caliper single stage (no clear, just a basic mirror or flat color) and for anything two stage 75.00 each (anything with metallic or a candy color).. I see you're in NYC feel free to check out my website and search my company name for reviews. I do work for a LOT of shops in the tri state area. www.espospowdercoating.com
http://www.facebook.com/EsposPowderCoating
Old 02-07-2013, 09:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG
Holy ****. One week?

Do them yourself.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:23 AM

AMG
Originally Posted by tomespo
Easiest way is to take out the bleeder screw and with a blow gun from an air compressor pop them out 1 by 1. Pop the first one out then put it back in a very little bit so you can get the next one out and repeat until they are all out. I charge 50.00 per caliper single stage (no clear, just a basic mirror or flat color) and for anything two stage 75.00 each (anything with metallic or a candy color).. I see you're in NYC feel free to check out my website and search my company name for reviews. I do work for a LOT of shops in the tri state area. www.espospowdercoating.com
Can we reuse seals?
Old 02-07-2013, 09:38 AM

Huracan STO
Originally Posted by m0v30v3r
Can we reuse seals?
That is up to you. As long as they don't get damaged during removal there is no reason to buy new ones. Also about the time, one week is NOT a long time. You have to remember shops have other work too and can't just drop everything they are doing for some random person. When spring time comes around, I have over 100 wheels waiting to be done and the wait goes up to 3 weeks!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:41 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
C63
if I got you to do them, what would be the total downtime?
Old 02-07-2013, 09:42 AM

Huracan STO
Right now I am at about one week. Can be less however. Shoot me an email info@espospowdercoating.com
Old 02-07-2013, 09:43 AM

AMG
That is up to you. As long as they don't get damaged during removal there is no reason to buy new ones. Also about the time, one week is NOT a long time. You have to remember shops have other work too and can't just drop everything they are doing for some random person. When spring time comes around, I have over 100 wheels waiting to be done and the wait goes up to 3 weeks!
Where to buy new ones? Dealers dont sell them...
Old 02-07-2013, 11:22 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2016 AMG GTS
i'm fine with the one week wait as i've got another vehicle i can manage with, but pretty much everyone needs me to bring in the calipers only instead of the whole car and i don't know how to take them off. is there anyone that can give me a step by step by any chance?
Old 02-07-2013, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG
Took mine in with the car. Those fuggers had the car for 5 days but it only took them a day.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:14 PM

Huracan STO
Originally Posted by JPetros2008
i'm fine with the one week wait as i've got another vehicle i can manage with, but pretty much everyone needs me to bring in the calipers only instead of the whole car and i don't know how to take them off. is there anyone that can give me a step by step by any chance?
Honestly not trying to sound like an A hole, but if you don't know how to remove them, then I wouldn't touch the pistons. If you want you can contact James@xclusvautosports.com he can take the whole car and I can either powder coat them or he can paint them. www.xclusvautosports.com