UPD intake, anybody?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 04:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
W212 - E63 AMG
UPD intake, anybody?

Anybody here with experience of this intake mod/system?

http://ultimatepd.com/2003-2007-merc...boost-kit.html

I'm tempted to make this my next mod on the car (whenever that may be) and I can see the logic behind it...seems like it should help. Wondering if this design is the reason why the Renntech intake seems to make hp and increase trap speed, whereas the carbonio etc doesn't.

Just curious to see any independent reviews before tossing it up between this and the Agency Power crank pulley.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 507 with BS Body; 2008 SLK 55
Increasing the open air space in the filter housing is unlikely to make a significant difference since most of the pressure drop there is the filter itself. Going ROW airbox(eliminate the charcoal filter) and a high flow filter, will give you at least the same if not better result.

In case of doubt ask for the results from their CFD Analysis (Computational Fluid Dynamics) showing the pressure drop reduction. I would LOVE to see that response......
Old 03-29-2016, 06:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
Why would a high flow filter give the same/better result (mated with a ROW airbox), if the restriction in the tube is still in place?

FWIW I'm assuming that the filter they're supplying is already higher flowing than stock.

FWIW x 2 my car is a euro model so it has ROW airboxes already.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts
2012 c63 AMG, 2011 GLK 350, 2019 GLS 450
Originally Posted by Celicasaur
Why would a high flow filter give the same/better result (mated with a ROW airbox), if the restriction in the tube is still in place?

FWIW I'm assuming that the filter they're supplying is already higher flowing than stock.

FWIW x 2 my car is a euro model so it has ROW airboxes already.
Highly doubt will net any gains over the row boxes. Don't throw your money away. But if you do....dyno it and let us know. All that appears to be is a spacer.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:14 PM

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts
2014 VW Touareg, 2012 C63
Originally Posted by AMGonFire
Highly doubt will net any gains over the row boxes. Don't throw your money away. But if you do....dyno it and let us know. All that appears to be is a spacer.

Agreed, you're looking for increase in flow not volume. Your engine doesn't care how much volume resides in the filter housing. Aluminum also conducts heat very well, so chances are that metal spacer will warm the air inside the housing. Chances are the benefits you get from their "high flow" filter are negatively impacted by that stupid spacer they put around the housing.

CFD analysis is expensive and I really doubt a company like UPD would even do something like this.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CFD analysis is expensive and I really doubt a company like UPD would even do something like this.[/QUOTE]

That is my point.
CFD is a staple nowadays though. Any company can go to the next college and have some of their students do that for very little money. The students get a grade, the school is happy to have a real life example, and the parts manufacturer has a properly engineered part. The reason it is not done is not money. It is usually lack of understanding of the task or dedication to doing things correctly.

OP: If you want to do it, great. Do you know a dyno near you? It would be great to get a baseline, then swap out the filter in the orig. housing and do a run, then add the spacer and see what each change brought.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:37 PM

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts
2014 VW Touareg, 2012 C63
Originally Posted by Wobble64
That is my point.
CFD is a staple nowadays though. Any company can go to the next college and have some of their students do that for very little money. The students get a grade, the school is happy to have a real life example, and the parts manufacturer has a properly engineered part. The reason it is not done is not money. It is usually lack of understanding of the task or dedication to doing things correctly.
I've gone this route before and it was a PITA and still cost me a couple thousand to run the CFD. Main problem for me was timing and the professor wanted the students more involved than simply administering a CFD. I ended up using a retired NASA rocket scientist to get the work done.

Anyhow, I totally agree that CFD should be a requirement on any automotive component that involves movement of air/fluids.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:05 PM

Received 125 Likes on 107 Posts
2014 Mercedes C63 AMG 507 Edition
They are claiming over 20hp with this mod. That is quite a bit.
I can't see it gaining that much, but please do a before and after run if you do fit it.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:39 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
09 Carrera S, , 03 F250 CC FX4
Considering that the m156 does not really suffer from air restriction in the intake system, I would consider this a waste of money.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
Interesting comments guys.

The way I see it, there is some hp to be gained from the intake system because the Renntech one consistently makes power. I guess it's never been discussed before as to why it makes power, ie where the bottleneck has been opened.

Nearest dyno to me is a Eurocharged franchise, but I'm not overly keen on taking my car there. Maybe there's another one that I don't know about.

What I will say is that from what I've gathered in my reasonably long time I've been on this message board is that Shardul and Brooke are smart guys and they know their stuff. While 20hp does seem a bit on the optimistic side to me, I'm still hopeful that their product is a good one. Maybe I'll message them nearer the time and see if they're willing to cut me a special deal on the product so that I can get this dyno proven.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Celicasaur
Interesting comments guys.

The way I see it, there is some hp to be gained from the intake system because the Renntech one consistently makes power. I guess it's never been discussed before as to why it makes power, ie where the bottleneck has been opened.

Nearest dyno to me is a Eurocharged franchise, but I'm not overly keen on taking my car there. Maybe there's another one that I don't know about.

What I will say is that from what I've gathered in my reasonably long time I've been on this message board is that Shardul and Brooke are smart guys and they know their stuff. While 20hp does seem a bit on the optimistic side to me, I'm still hopeful that their product is a good one. Maybe I'll message them nearer the time and see if they're willing to cut me a special deal on the product so that I can get this dyno proven.
LOL, you really want to believe, don't you.

20 hp gain is not on the high side, it is totally not credible. But please try to get factual info if you can or this will never go beyond I think vs he thinks.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:45 PM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
09 Carrera S, , 03 F250 CC FX4
The way I see it, the only potential bottleneck would be at the MAF's and I think this has been dyno proven of around 10 whp as that is one of the main differences between the US spec air boxes and the ROW boxes.

Since you have them already, it's a moot point
Old 03-30-2016, 03:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
Fair enough then guys, I'll let this thread die.

If I do move forward with this, I'll keep you all posted. Either that, or I'll just get the under-drive crank pulley from Agency Power.