CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Think fried my SC... SMOKED IT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 05:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 CL55 AMG, 04 E55 AMG
Think fried my SC... SMOKED IT

My 06 cl55 has been broke for about a month.
It has 74k miles.
I took my friend for a ride one night, 0-150, turned around did a burnout, then 0-160mph floored.

Well when i let off the gas the last time car died..
It would restart every time but would die with throttle.
I got a code for a throttle positioning sensor.
I had no throttle, engine wouldnt rev right when pushing the pedal, only to about 2000. But it sounded fine!
i bought a new pedal , installed it after week 1 of car being broken.
No fix..

So then i figured screw it, and i dropped 2000$ on an upgraded 82mm throttle body from eurocharged.
It will be here this week or next im thinking..
But it gets better..
Yesterday i went to my friends house where my car was, started the car, it ran fine like normal, but suprisingly i could rev it up!
So i jumped in and started on the 15 min drive home with my girlfriend following behind me in the truck.
About 5 minutes down the road, i think i got above 2500 rpm or so, it started sputtering like it was under a load or something.. then it started smoking white from under the hood. I pulled over and could clearly see that the smoke was coming from the supercharger clutch+pulley. It got so hot that the mercedes benz symbol fell off of the plastic gaurd on the plastic engine cover.
The engine never overheated.
So i pulled the belt off for the supercharger and finished the 10 minutes home through town, through redlights, car ran just fine.
The part where the belt spins on the supercharger spins freely, the part behind it (the black rotating part) is seized.

Seems like the shaft is seized completely inside the supercharger.
I did not have airboxes off before it started and i really dont think i got anything inside it.

have you guys seen this happen ?

Im really trying to decide where to go from here....

I do all my own mechanic work, and the car is now at my house, so i fugure ill pull the sc on my day off tomorrow and see what it looks like.
Let me know what you guys think

Kenny
Old 09-29-2016, 06:51 PM

06 CL55 AMG, 04 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by kgoff6
My 06 cl55 has been broke for about a month.
It has 74k miles.
I took my friend for a ride one night, 0-150, turned around did a burnout, then 0-160mph floored.

Well when i let off the gas the last time car died..
It would restart every time but would die with throttle.
I got a code for a throttle positioning sensor.
I had no throttle, engine wouldnt rev right when pushing the pedal, only to about 2000. But it sounded fine!
i bought a new pedal , installed it after week 1 of car being broken.
No fix..

So then i figured screw it, and i dropped 2000$ on an upgraded 82mm throttle body from eurocharged.
It will be here this week or next im thinking..
But it gets better..
Yesterday i went to my friends house where my car was, started the car, it ran fine like normal, but suprisingly i could rev it up!
So i jumped in and started on the 15 min drive home with my girlfriend following behind me in the truck.
About 5 minutes down the road, i think i got above 2500 rpm or so, it started sputtering like it was under a load or something.. then it started smoking white from under the hood. I pulled over and could clearly see that the smoke was coming from the supercharger clutch+pulley. It got so hot that the mercedes benz symbol fell off of the plastic gaurd on the plastic engine cover.
The engine never overheated.
So i pulled the belt off for the supercharger and finished the 10 minutes home through town, through redlights, car ran just fine.
The part where the belt spins on the supercharger spins freely, the part behind it (the black rotating part) is seized.

Seems like the shaft is seized completely inside the supercharger.
I did not have airboxes off before it started and i really dont think i got anything inside it.

have you guys seen this happen ?

Im really trying to decide where to go from here....

I do all my own mechanic work, and the car is now at my house, so i fugure ill pull the sc on my day off tomorrow and see what it looks like.
Let me know what you guys think

Kenny

I've posted a link to youtube with a video of how the pulley acts when soon by hand

https://youtu.be/38sXN8VpCrk
Old 09-29-2016, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
There are more and more cases popping up of the blowers seizing. It's usually a bearing failure, and due to the close tolearance once they have a little slack, it locks up. Time for a new blower, unless you were very lucky and there was no real damage done to the case, it could be rebuilt.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:43 PM

06 CL55 AMG, 04 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
There are more and more cases popping up of the blowers seizing. It's usually a bearing failure, and due to the close tolearance once they have a little slack, it locks up. Time for a new blower, unless you were very lucky and there was no real damage done to the case, it could be rebuilt.
Now that ive been reading alot about sc clutches going out, i realize that i have always heard a chirp under acceleration , i just never knew what from.
i figure this was caused in part by the upgraded crank pulley, but what else would cause a supercharger to completely seize? I will check oil this weekend when i pull the sc.
If anyone has our knows of a used stock, or weistec SC for sale please let me know!
My plan right now is to pull it apart, assess the damage, buy a car cover and wait until about March to buy the 3.0L..

WHY DID THIS HAPPEN

I got a tracking # for the 82mm tb today... bummer

Kenny
Old 10-13-2016, 01:13 PM

06 CL55 AMG, 04 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by kgoff6
Now that ive been reading alot about sc clutches going out, i realize that i have always heard a chirp under acceleration , i just never knew what from.
i figure this was caused in part by the upgraded crank pulley, but what else would cause a supercharger to completely seize? I will check oil this weekend when i pull the sc.
If anyone has our knows of a used stock, or weistec SC for sale please let me know!
My plan right now is to pull it apart, assess the damage, buy a car cover and wait until about March to buy the 3.0L..

WHY DID THIS HAPPEN

I got a tracking # for the 82mm tb today... bummer

Kenny

Anyone have any ideas ? Going to get the sc off tomorrow and check out the inside to assess the damage.. anyone have an extra 55 supercharger?
Old 10-13-2016, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Ideas for what?
Old 10-13-2016, 08:06 PM

06 CL55 AMG, 04 E55 AMG
Ideas for what?
Mainly as to why it may have heppened..
It doesnt seem to common to seize the SC on these from what ive read, especially with so few miles.
While it may not be common, i know i am not the first to have it happen, and thought someone with prior experience with this type of problem might be able to explain what had caused theirs to seize, or note anything to pay close attention to besides the norm while pulling this apart to inspect it.
Ill post pics of the internals when i get it apart.
Kenny
Old 10-13-2016, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Most likely, you lost a bearing. You could have lost the oil out of the gear drive in the snout, but that's less likely. Won't know until you crack it open.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:08 PM

06 CL55 AMG, 04 E55 AMG
Ended up getting it back together yesterday.
I put the eurocharged 82mm throttle body on at the same time.
The new supercharger came already painted black and the tb came black powdercoated so its black all the way through, I'm really liking how it looks!
And liking even more how it is running!
Just thought I'd post some pics of the install.
I was told that the sc cane with an upgraded pulley but i havent checked to see how big exactly.
Kenny
Attached Thumbnails Think fried my SC... SMOKED IT-20161017_130836.jpg   Think fried my SC... SMOKED IT-20161017_160510.jpg   Think fried my SC... SMOKED IT-img_20161017_163841.jpg   Think fried my SC... SMOKED IT-img_20161017_163918.jpg   Think fried my SC... SMOKED IT-20161017_170424.jpg  

Think fried my SC... SMOKED IT-20161021_104646.jpg   Think fried my SC... SMOKED IT-20161021_142540.jpg   Think fried my SC... SMOKED IT-20161021_142702.jpg   Think fried my SC... SMOKED IT-20161021_154051.jpg   Think fried my SC... SMOKED IT-20161022_150327.jpg  

Old 10-23-2016, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
So what happened to the old SC, did you take it apart and see what failed?
Old 10-23-2016, 11:01 PM

06 CL55 AMG, 04 E55 AMG
So what happened to the old SC, did you take it apart and see what failed?
i got the front cover off where the oil goes, and got the intercooler separated and the fins would still barely turn even with a 36 inch crescent wrench on the big bolt.
i haven't finished pulling it apart ill let you know after, but i really figure its just like you said, bad bearings and then everything else went.
kenny