power steering malfunction message on dash...need help with right part number pls

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 08:44 PM

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
s550
power steering malfunction message on dash...need help with right part number pls

New to the]is section of the forum. Friend has a 2012 CLS550 which drives beautifully.
however, Car shows "power steering malfunction" message on dash. But power steering seems to work fine without a single problem. Scanner shows steering column sensor intermittent fault. Safe to say that sensor is acting up. Would like to change it but can't seem to find the right part number. Can someone please help me with the right part number for this sensor?

Thanks
Old 02-26-2016, 08:22 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,052 Likes on 973 Posts
1999 E300TD
Has the driver simply gone to rack to rack with the steering wheel to try to reset the sensor??

FYI the sensor is VIN dependent, howerver the first six are 171 545 xx xx

Last edited by Plutoe; 02-26-2016 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:16 AM

s550
hey

Originally Posted by Plutoe
Has the driver simply gone to rack to rack with the steering wheel to try to reset the sensor??

FYI the sensor is VIN dependent, howerver the first six are 171 545 xx xx
i believe not. Would you be kind enough to educate me on this approach. its worth a try at the very least. is it just a basic steering wheel turn from end to end?
Old 02-27-2016, 12:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,052 Likes on 973 Posts
1999 E300TD
That is correct!!
Old 03-09-2016, 11:56 AM

s550
hey

Originally Posted by Plutoe
That is correct!!
Thanks but that didn't seem to solve the issue. power steering works fine but message is on dash even after erasing it with computer.

we have been busy so we really haven't paid the issue any mind. But am thinking it might be a software issue.

I was on the C class forum and found a lot of owners encountered this same message but as opposed to mine where the power steering was actually still fully functional, their power steering was deactivated not functioning.
Solution was a software upgrade.

Any here encounter same issue?
Old 03-11-2016, 11:25 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,446 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
Bulletin LI46.35-P-053719 https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ml#post5178296
Old 12-11-2016, 04:42 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
benzw205
Usual problem it seems ?

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...lfunction.html

Did it happen again to you ?
Old 01-20-2019, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 glk350 Mercedes
POWER STEERING MALFUNCTION MESSAGE ON THE DASH BOARD. BRAKE:EBD,ABS,&ESC INOPERATIVE

Originally Posted by just1time
Thanks but that didn't seem to solve the issue. power steering works fine but message is on dash even after erasing it with computer.

we have been busy so we really haven't paid the issue any mind. But am thinking it might be a software issue.

I was on the C class forum and found a lot of owners encountered this same message but as opposed to mine where the power steering was actually still fully functional, their power steering was deactivated not functioning.
Solution was a software upgrade.

Any here encounter same issue?
encountered similar problem this morning with a display messages on my dash board:
" POWER STEERING MALFUNCTION.
see operators' manual and BRAKE: EBD, ABS, & ESC INOPERATIVE, see operators manual".
However the steering isn't stiff or did I notice any other change in the movement.
Even when I turned off the ignition and on it back, the display still persist.

Anyone with solution to this problem pls
Old 01-20-2019, 10:20 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,446 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
Software update...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LI46.35-P-053719_Ver_1.pdf (37.1 KB, 1164 views)
Old 11-04-2022, 11:43 AM

GLK300 2010
Hello

I too started facing new warning message on my 2010 GLK300 since yesterday .
"Power Steering Malfunction - See Operator's Manual"
&
"BRAKE - EBD, ABS and ESP Inoperative - See operator's manual"
&
Run Flat Tyre indicator not operative
I restarted twice after an interval of 5 minutes ... it works but again comes back..

- replaced New battery yesterday but no use..

Any help or advise would be great. Thanks. Dinu
Old 01-16-2023, 08:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
12 CLS 550, 65 Shelby 427 SC, 03 GMC Envoy
Check battery voltage. There was a service bulletin about this. Electric power steering
Old 01-17-2024, 02:04 AM

MB C220 CDI Avantgarde

I drive a W204 2009 C220 CDI with around 90,000 Kms or approximately 55,000 miles. On a particular day, I embarked on a 180 Km journey to my wife's house, a total of 110 miles, and had to make the return trip within the same day. Considering the lengthy travel and challenging road conditions, I adopted an aggressive driving style, with rapid accelerations and frequent braking to cover the 4 to 5 hours it takes to return home.

As I approached my house with just 4 Kms remaining, my car displayed multiple warnings: Run flat indicator inoperative, Power steering malfunction, and EBD, ABS, ESP inoperative. The power steering failure made turning the vehicle difficult. Somehow, I managed to bring the car home, parked it, turned it off, and, after a few minutes of rest, turned it back on. To my relief, all the warnings disappeared, and everything seemed normal. I initially thought it was just a glitch.

Later that day, I needed to meet a friend, so I turned on the vehicle and, after covering about 1 Km, the glitch returned. Turning the car off and on made the glitch disappear, but it resurfaced 5 minutes later. Knowing the challenges of driving with a malfunctioning power steering, I opted to leave the vehicle at home.

I took a cab to my friend's place and returned home the next day. The glitch recurred after a short drive of five minutes. Concerned, I contacted my MB dealership and informed them of the issue. Despite the difficulty in driving the vehicle, I chose to drive it to the dealership instead of opting for recovery.

Upon reaching the dealership, they indicated a need for a thorough inspection, which would take 2 to 3 days. The subsequent update revealed bad news—the Hydraulic Unit had failed, a major fault requiring a $3030 USD part replacement and labor charges (PART NO: A 204 4315 51264). With the part not in stock, the estimated fix time was one week.

Meanwhile, an email from the dealership, received a couple of months back, informed me that my car's VIN number was on a global list for a free replacement of the Airbag unit. I asked them to prepare my car for this cost-free job. Exploring alternatives, I checked for scrap hydraulic units, priced around $330 USD, contemplating whether to use a local garage due to high dealership costs.

Despite my inquiries about the fix's assurance after replacement, the dealership hesitated to guarantee a 100% solution. They performed a thorough inspection, including the fuse box and wiring kit, and mentioned having test units in other dealerships, requiring additional time for the inspection. After two weeks, they concluded that the fault persisted, suggesting the need to change the entire EPS unit, incurring additional costs.

Frustrated, I considered not proceeding with the repairs and opting for a new car. Turning to online solutions, YouTube suggested replacements or cleaning, contrasting with the dealership's unsuccessful attempts to clean the stuck hydraulic unit. Suspecting heat or movement as the cause of the issue, I searched for scrap parts for the fix and decided to approach a local garage.

Nearly a month passed without a vehicle, and I resigned myself to the idea of a total failure in the fix, deeming it impractical to spend so much on a 15-year-old vehicle. Disheartened, I collected the car after the airbag repair, leaving it in my porch with no plans or hope.

Late that night, an online search brought me to an article where Mr. A Khan suggested an unconventional fix—drive the car in reverse. This insanely stupid fix resolved the car as Mr. Candii, Me. Gavd and Me. Sudir inspired me to do the car revising fix as there was not cost involved to drive the car in reverse.

Despite initial skepticism, I tried it, and to my surprise, the error disappeared. Over the past four days, covering 30 to 50 Kms, the glitch has not resurfaced.

Thank you, Mr. A Khan, for this unexpected yet effective solution that saved my car from being deemed irreparable. I am immensely grateful, although unsure of its permanence, given Mr. A Khan's last post in 2016. If anyone has more insights or experiences similar to Candii, Gavd, or Mr. Sudir, please share your findings regarding the recurrence of the error or alternative fixes.

A heartfelt thank you to MB World ORG and Mr. A Khan for being instrumental in resolving this perplexing issue.

Saved my life,

Bibble