Help me choose a used E350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Range Rover
Help me choose a used E350

Hello all,

New to this forum but not new to forums in general. I research most of the stuff I buy and put a considerable research effort before buying anything over $1000. I have yet to be disappointed with anything I have bought after a thorough research for the last 10+ years. I am hoping you guys will be able to assist me my next major purchase, a Benz.

Background: My current vehicle is a 1996 Range Rover 4.6 HSE. This car has been a worry free car for me contrary from what I have read online. I bought the car in year 2000 with 43K miles on it. Current mileage on the car is 138K. No major issue except wear and tear on breaks, rotors and tires. All have been replaced twice. I have experienced issues with the electronic air suspension and based on the recommendation on the Range Rover forum, I replaced with a manual suspension in 2005 and I have had no issues since then. I have done all the recommended maintenance until I hit 80k and since then the only maintenance I done is change the oil every 3000 miles, change cabin filter and air filter but that is it. Car still rides very nice. I hoping any MB E350 class I buy would give a trouble free ride like my RR did.

I am looking into buying a used E350 2010-2014 with a very low mile, certainly not more than 50K miles but most likely at around 40k or below. I live in Silver Spring, MD USA and have seen quite a few with low miles and within my price range which is under $30k US. I may spend a bit more for the 2014 model. CPO would be nice but the price goes up considerably higher, so not sure if it is worth it if I buy one with 40k miles on it.

Not sure what the major differences are between 2010 -2013. They look the same from the exterior and the 2014 looks it has been redesigned with minor changes to the exterior. I am in the preliminarily stages of my research so I have not l test drive any of the models. I am still trying to learn the differences between this models. Reliability is very important to me as this will be my only means of transportation so I don't want to spend my time or money at the dealership.

Can you please educate ma a bit the differences between this model and which one I should concentrate my research? I am looking into a good balance between reliability, interior, appointments, ride handling etc...

Also what is the major difference between the luxury 4Matic model and the sport 4Matic model?

Thank you all for your assistance, much appreciated!
Old 05-28-2016, 10:59 AM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
2010 E350, Sold 1998 C230
Welcome aboard. I have a 2010 e350, got it about a year and a half ago with 29k on the clock. Have been very pleased with it overall, no real major issues and I have put about 18K on it since I got it. Due to the age, there was no warranty on it and I debated getting some sort of aftermarket warranty on it, but the price was around 1000 a year for another 3 years and I figured if I had to spend anything less than 3 grand over that period, I would be ahead. And I'm like you, I will do my own maintenance if I can, so buying a car out of warranty isn't a deal killer.

AFAIK, there are no big changes before 2014 which is the facelift year. I think they went to direct injection in 2012 or 13, somebody can chime in for sure. They upped the HP a bit, but honestly, I have no complaints with mine with 268hp. I step on the gas and it moves, fast. Very easy to be up to 80 and not realize it. These cars handle very well with a super solid feel on the road. Not bad for a car that weighs in over 4k Lbs.

I routinely get around 21-22 mpg on premium, doubt it would be much, if any less if I ran regular, but if you want to drive one, you should use premium which is the recommended grade.
The following users liked this post:
dvdit (05-28-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 11:03 AM

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts
2014 E-350
A hundred threads on here already, some very recent, with your identical situation. Do your research by going through the threads...otherwise we'll have to keep repeating ourselves every time a new buyer joins the forum.

Not being rude, just lots of recent examples for you to read through. Your dilemma is very common, and the good folks here have offered up advice many times.

You say you like to put considerable research into your purchases...you can also hit Wikipedia, Car and Driver, and a quick Google query...they will provide you many differences between the model years and answer 99% of your questions.

I can sympathize with your Rover days...just sold our 2007 Range Rover Supercharged. Great vehicle, other than a few issues, including replacing a couple of air shocks when the bags cracked...easy enough to do myself in the driveway. I've been keeping an eye on the new Rovers in hopes of getting one soon if the used costs fall enough...wife just got her new car, daughter is taking my W212, and I'm debating a few options for my new ride (GLS 550, new F350 Super Duty, or the new Rover).

Last edited by fosterelli; 05-28-2016 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:14 AM

Range Rover
Originally Posted by aquinob
Welcome aboard. I have a 2010 e350, got it about a year and a half ago with 29k on the clock. Have been very pleased with it overall, no real major issues and I have put about 18K on it since I got it. Due to the age, there was no warranty on it and I debated getting some sort of aftermarket warranty on it, but the price was around 1000 a year for another 3 years and I figured if I had to spend anything less than 3 grand over that period, I would be ahead. And I'm like you, I will do my own maintenance if I can, so buying a car out of warranty isn't a deal killer.

AFAIK, there are no big changes before 2014 which is the facelift year. I think they went to direct injection in 2012 or 13, somebody can chime in for sure. They upped the HP a bit, but honestly, I have no complaints with mine with 268hp. I step on the gas and it moves, fast. Very easy to be up to 80 and not realize it. These cars handle very well with a super solid feel on the road. Not bad for a car that weighs in over 4k Lbs.

I routinely get around 21-22 mpg on premium, doubt it would be much, if any less if I ran regular, but if you want to drive one, you should use premium which is the recommended grade.
Thank you for your input. I have always used nothing but the highest grade. The that Range Rover being a gas guzzler that wasn't cheap. Still used nothing but premium all these years. I will surly use what ever type of fuel recommended by the manufacturer.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
In 2012 they put in the new M276 engine which has more power (302hp) and better fuel efficiency. They also put in the 7G tronic plus transmission which is supposedly improved in reliability vs the 7g tronic.

In 2014 they did the facelift and in late 2014 production they strengthened the body to get better frontal crash ratings.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:20 AM

Range Rover
Originally Posted by fosterelli
A hundred threads on here already, some very recent, with your identical situation. Do your research by going through the threads...otherwise we'll have to keep repeating ourselves every time a new buyer joins the forum.

Not being rude, just lots of recent examples for you to read through. Your dilemma is very common, and the good folks here have offered up advice many times.

You say you like to put considerable research into your purchases...you can also hit Wikipedia, Car and Driver, and a quick Google query...they will provide you many differences between the model years and answer 99% of your questions.

I can sympathize with your Rover days...just sold our 2007 Range Rover Supercharged. Great vehicle, other than a few issues, including replacing a couple of air shocks when the bags cracked...easy enough to do myself in the driveway. I've been keeping an eye on the new Rovers in hopes of getting one soon if the used costs fall enough...wife just got her new car, daughter is taking my W212, and I'm debating a few options for my new ride (GLS 550, new F350 Super Duty, or the new Rover).
No you are not being rude. Just providing info where to look. Thanks, I will read up everything I can find here in the forum. I prefer to get my information from real owners who have owned the car for a while. I tend to give a lot of weight to actual owners input.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:41 AM

Received 95 Likes on 60 Posts
2012 E350
I bought 2012- it has the new direct injection engine. That came on line in 2012.

As far as CPO vs not CPO, you make your choices. I decided to go CPO, because 1- I didn't want headaches and 2- I'm an attorney and I once represented a used car dealer who sold hi end dogs- I think you have a better shot at getting a clean car via the CPO route. For instance, I know my car was always dealer maintained "by the book" and had no major issues before my purchase. I also know that before I bought the car the battery was replaced and a new set of tires was installed.

I was deciding between a 2012 and a 2013 which was somewhat costlier but it had more equipment. The $ was not an issue- I just happened to like the color combination on the 2012 better- Lunar Blue with beige interior. The 2013 was silver with a black interior (not a fan of a black interior). If the 2013 was the Lunar blue, I would have taken it. I really did not see any difference between the 2012 and 2013 models. PS- I bought the luxury, not the sport model. I went through the BMW thing, and now I just want to be comfortable and as one would surmise the sport rides harder.

Good luck!

Last edited by Zavato; 05-28-2016 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 01:07 PM

Range Rover
Originally Posted by Zavato
I bought 2012- it has the new direct injection engine. That came on line in 2012.

As far as CPO vs not CPO, you make your choices. I decided to go CPO, because 1- I didn't want headaches and 2- I'm an attorney and I once represented a used car dealer who sold hi end dogs- I think you have a better shot at getting a clean car via the CPO route. For instance, I know my car was always dealer maintained "by the book" and had no major issues before my purchase. I also know that before I bought the car the battery was replaced and a new set of tires was installed.

I was deciding between a 2012 and a 2013 which was somewhat costlier but it had more equipment. The $ was not an issue- I just happened to like the color combination on the 2012 better- Lunar Blue with beige interior. The 2013 was silver with a black interior (not a fan of a black interior). If the 2013 was the Lunar blue, I would have taken it. I really did not see any difference between the 2012 and 2013 models. PS- I bought the luxury, not the sport model. I one through the BMW thing, and now I just want to be comfortable and as one would surmise the sport rides harder.

Good luck!
I have been reading some since I started this thread this morning. It seems like the 2012 is the sweet spot. I will read more. I will look into the CPO option but surely I will not drop $5k more just because it is CPO and the warranty is only for a year or two.

As far where I would buy used, I am only buying from reputable local dealerships. Not necessarily a Benz dealer but a new car dealership in general, like a BMW, Acura, Lexus dealer etc. They seem to have the best price and cars with low mileage that were traded-in.
Old 05-28-2016, 01:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'10 W212 4matic P2-Distronic / '14 Cayenne / '04 X5 3.0 / '13 Altima
Originally Posted by dvdit
Not necessarily a Benz dealer but a new car dealership in general, like a BMW, Acura, Lexus dealer etc. They seem to have the best price and cars with low mileage that were traded-in.
The vast majority of the benz cars at the new car non MB dealerships, in my area at least, were bought from the same MBFS auctions.

All the information is in the carfax reports, most ppl who return a car after 2 or 3 years, leased not bought because there is no reason to return a 3 year Benz with a year of warranty left, for most people at least

Last edited by kash2014; 05-28-2016 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:06 AM

Range Rover
After reading a bit more I have dropped the 2010 and 2011 models and now looking into 2012-2014. Still lot of research to do to see which year is the best year for the E350. I will test drive the luxury and sport version to see which one I prefer when I am ready to pull the trigger.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
'17 GLS450,'12 E350//sold:'82 240D,'05 CLK500,'08 S550,'11 E550,'12 SLK350,'14 E350, & 59 other cars
I have owned a 2012 E350 Luxury and a 2014 E350 Sport. I purchased the 2014 new and never liked it. The ride with the sport model was not Mercedes quality to me -- more like a BMW. I sold it after one year. Others may claim the luxury and sport have the same suspension tuning. Maybe so, but the sport has larger AMG styled wheels which give it a harsher ride. I purchased my 2012 E350 used from the Mercedes dealer. I am very pleased with it. IMHO the luxury model with the conventional Mercedes grill and hood emblem is preferable to the 2014 sport with the large MB emblem in the grill -- E sport and C class look about the same from the front.

Good luck with your purchase.

Last edited by retguy; 05-30-2016 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:40 PM

Range Rover
Most of the comments I have read so far are similar to your experience. The luxury model offers a smoother ride and than the sport. I prefer a luxurious interior and smooth comfortable ride. After all, I spend most of my time inside than looking at it from the outside.

Newbie question: I terms of P1 vs P2 package, what are the main differences? I am big into quality audio so I will need some nice tunes in the E350.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:48 PM

Received 95 Likes on 60 Posts
2012 E350
Most of the comments I have read so far are similar to your experience. The luxury model offers a smoother ride and than the sport. I prefer a luxurious interior and smooth comfortable ride. After all, I spend most of my time inside than looking at it from the outside.

Newbie question: I terms of P1 vs P2 package, what are the main differences? I am big into quality audio so I will need some nice tunes in the E350.
I'm very much into hi end audio at home. My P1 has the Harman Kardon system in it. It's good, not great. I also heard a Burmester system in another MB sedan, with the same results.

If we could somehow fit my Revel speakers and Pass electronics into my car, and add my Linn TT, Sim/Bricasti digital and Mac tuner into my car, that would be something else entirely

That said, my P1's sond system gets the job done
Old 05-29-2016, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Go to the second and third Sitckys on this site as they cover the major issues, but they are very, very long.
As for differences, the Luxury versions ride more comfortably and subtlely have a more tradtional interior and exterior than the Sports version. Not very many luxury versions out there, but worth considering if you can find one for comparison.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:48 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
W212 E550 4M P2
As you well know by now from your research, Merc tweaked the int in 2014 with the facelift. Here's what stands out to me with the update.

On the steering column, they reversed the positions of the turn signal stalk (now on top, 10 o'clock position) and the cruise stalk (now on the bottom, 8 o'clock position). Not knowing what you drive now and your preference, this could go either way. For me in my 2012 pre-facelift, it took a fair amount of time to change my muscle memory. Not a biggie, though.

The horizontal line of buttons (heated seats x2, ventilated seats x2, rear sunshade, parking sensors and ECO) on the center stack was beautified. I think they look very sharp.

The gauge lay output also changed. In my opinion, the big change was moving from 5 pods to 3. Specifically, the clock was moved from the gauges to the top of the center stack. Again, I think this change was well-executed.

There were numerous other int and ext changes, but I think most were minor or near invisible to the average Joe.

Happy shopping! I vote for at least a '12 and maybe a '14 if the up-charge isn't crazy.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:08 PM

Range Rover
It would have been nice to if the Harman Kardon in the E350 shares some trickle down signature and quality of the Lexicon/proceed/ Mark Levinson. But alas, those gear cost as much as a used E350.

I can swing for the 2014 if that is the best year for the E350 but in reliability, performance, ride quality. In my area the difference is about $5-6K more for the 2014. I didn't like the face lift initially but, I am starting to like it. The number one concern for me is reliability. I want to buy the most reliable E350. My wife wants to go the ML350 route. She won't object if I heart on the E350 but at the very least I have to research and drive that car as well.

Time to grab a beer and read the threads suggested by EL Cid now.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 e350 4matic with P1 and Luxury packages
After reading a bit more I have dropped the 2010 and 2011 models and now looking into 2012-2014. Still lot of research to do to see which year is the best year for the E350. I will test drive the luxury and sport version to see which one I prefer when I am ready to pull the trigger.
I have a 2010 Luxury and i'm sure you will pick luxury ride over anything. Also 2010, don't take it out, one of the best reliable year you can find.
Good luck
Old 05-30-2016, 07:34 AM

Range Rover
Originally Posted by Salacak
I have a 2010 Luxury and i'm sure you will pick luxury ride over anything. Also 2010, don't take it out, one of the best reliable year you can find.
Good luck
Reason I dropped the 2010 and 2011 models was, from what I have read, starting the 2012 model MB has done some refinements that added together translate to a better driving experience like more horsepower, smoother transmission and better fuel efficiency.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 e350 4matic with P1 and Luxury packages
Reason I dropped the 2010 and 2011 models was, from what I have read, starting the 2012 model MB has done some refinements that added together translate to a better driving experience like more horsepower, smoother transmission and better fuel efficiency.
That little extra horsepower comes with DI engine and read about DI engines issues. If i'm you i would take DI engines out which brings you back to 2010-11 models only. Either way good luck to you.
dvdit (05-30-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 12:51 PM

Range Rover
Originally Posted by Salacak
That little extra horsepower comes with DI engine and read about DI engines issues. If i'm you i would take DI engines out which brings you back to 2010-11 models only. Either way good luck to you.
Thanks. Learning few little details everyday. Wouldn't this issue be avoided by using premium 93 octane gasoline?

Last edited by dvdit; 05-30-2016 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,148 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Only other thing to add about 2010-2011 is that some of those airbags are under recall. I believe letters just went out recently but still no date on when they will actually be repaired. No known fatality from the defect yet on MB cars. I think the jury is still some what out on DI, not that many major issues with it. You can try just going with top tier gas. List of retailers at toptiergas.com.
dvdit (05-31-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 05:12 PM

Range Rover
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
Only other thing to add about 2010-2011 is that some of those airbags are under recall. I believe letters just went out recently but still no date on when they will actually be repaired. No known fatality from the defect yet on MB cars. I think the jury is still some what out on DI, not that many major issues with it. You can try just going with top tier gas. List of retailers at toptiergas.com.
Since the day I bought my current car, a 1996 Range Rover, I have always used nothing but 93 octane premium gasoline from station like Shell, Mobile, Sunoco and Chevron. Not sure what TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is but 93 octane premium gasoline is what I always used.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 126 Likes on 105 Posts
2020 X7 xDrive40i, 2016 X3 sDrive28i
Since the day I bought my current car, a 1996 Range Rover, I have always used nothing but 93 octane premium gasoline from station like Shell, Mobile, Sunoco and Chevron. Not sure what TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is but 93 octane premium gasoline is what I always used.
Your 1996 Range Rover doesn't have a Direct Injection engine so wouldn't be affected by the typical carbon buildup issue DI engines have.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:00 PM

Range Rover
Originally Posted by thenew3
Your 1996 Range Rover doesn't have a Direct Injection engine so wouldn't be affected by the typical carbon buildup issue DI engines have.
I wasn't referring a DI problem on my RR. I was just stating that I will continue to use premium gasoline and NOT be tempted to buy a cheaper gasoline in any case.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
http://www.truedelta.com/Mercedes-Benz-E-Class/reliability-186

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/315195-w212-e-class-reliability-stats-asap.html

Michael Karesh, the promoter / owner / reviewer of "truedelta.com" as well as a MBworld forum member had this to say about the E class. Accordingly the 2010 and 2014 models are the most reliable in this limited study.
Gforce007 (06-03-2023)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help me choose a used E350