GLC Class (X253) Produced 2016-2022

GLC43 - Motor1.com review & criticisms

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 01:56 PM

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 Mercedes-AMG GLC43
GLC43 - Motor1.com review & criticisms

A review of the US GLC43 was posted a few days ago on Motor1.com. It isn't as glowing as most previous reviews, which leads me to believe it's more reflective of a real-world ownership experience.

http://www.motor1.com/reviews/134659...c43-crossover/

The cons:

The biturbo V6 sounds great under load at full attack, snarling and purring out of its parallelogram-shaped exhausts. Around town, though, it drones dully. Even with everything dialed back to Comfort mode, the GLC43 never gets too quiet. That would be fine it it made a pleasant sound in city driving, but it can be tiring when the exhaust won’t shut up.
Nor does the ride get all that cushy. Some of the blame goes, no doubt, to my test car’s optional 21-inch wheels, but the GLC43 rides very stiffly even in its most comfort-focused suspension setting. On imperfect roads around Los Angeles, there’s plenty of jostle and head-toss.
I've test driven a GLC43 on 3 separate occasions and I came away with the same exact criticisms. Despite that, I placed a special order anyway. The droning exhaust is particularly worrisome though. Is it due to a manufacturing defect/variation or is it just the driver?
Old 02-04-2017, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
i plan to rent a macan s from Hertz Gold for a few days, before buying a GLC43 or E400 Estate...

The suspension will be the deal breaker for me.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
GLC43
Originally Posted by TopGun32
i plan to rent a macan s from Hertz Gold for a few days, before buying a GLC43 or E400 Estate...

The suspension will be the deal breaker for me.
Look and see if that Q5 with a nose job has a USB interface port in it....I know the Q5 dosent....hard to believe....we were looking at the Macan....less interior space than the GLC.....I'm very happy with my GLC43 so far.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:35 AM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 GLC43
I have never heard of motor1.com, but as a GLC43 owner, here are my thoughts on the writer's "cons".

Calling the sound of the factory exhaust on this vehicle a "drone" is a little bit of a stretch. Is it audible? Yes. But that's what most AMG buyers want and expect from a performance tuned vehicle. Does is intrude on normal conversation, the sound system, etc? Not at all. If you've driven Lincoln town cars your whole life, you may find the exhaust note to be more than you're used to. I've you've driven any kind of performance car, or anything with an aftermarket exhaust, you'll most likely find the GLC43 hardly noticeable. IMO, the engineers did an exceptional job on the exhaust to keep it tame during relaxed driving, with just the right amount of sound when you're getting on it.

Same thing goes for the suspension. Yes, of course it is tuned stiffer than the GLC300, once again b/c AMG buyers want better handling and more communication/feel from the road. To say it rides "very stiffly" is ridiculous, even in the context of suvs. Both the base Macan and F Pace have at least as firm a ride as the GLC43, if not firmer. Again, it makes me think the author of this article is used to driving a crown vic or a lexus es or something.

Is the GLC43 perfect? Of course not. But I think it offers the perfect level of sport for someone looking for more excitement in their daily drive. And if you don't want those things, well then that's why the GLC300 exists.
The following 6 users liked this post by thatkidfromjrsy:
billykaiser0930 (02-10-2017), dejongj (02-06-2017), Gracie916 (02-09-2017), JustinS (02-06-2017), SmokinBuddha (02-10-2017), vikeor (02-09-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-06-2017, 11:28 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
N/A
Originally Posted by thatkidfromjrsy
I have never heard of motor1.com, but as a GLC43 owner, here are my thoughts on the writer's "cons".

Calling the sound of the factory exhaust on this vehicle a "drone" is a little bit of a stretch. Is it audible? Yes. But that's what most AMG buyers want and expect from a performance tuned vehicle. Does is intrude on normal conversation, the sound system, etc? Not at all. If you've driven Lincoln town cars your whole life, you may find the exhaust note to be more than you're used to. I've you've driven any kind of performance car, or anything with an aftermarket exhaust, you'll most likely find the GLC43 hardly noticeable. IMO, the engineers did an exceptional job on the exhaust to keep it tame during relaxed driving, with just the right amount of sound when you're getting on it.

Same thing goes for the suspension. Yes, of course it is tuned stiffer than the GLC300, once again b/c AMG buyers want better handling and more communication/feel from the road. To say it rides "very stiffly" is ridiculous, even in the context of suvs. Both the base Macan and F Pace have at least as firm a ride as the GLC43, if not firmer. Again, it makes me think the author of this article is used to driving a crown vic or a lexus es or something.

Is the GLC43 perfect? Of course not. But I think it offers the perfect level of sport for someone looking for more excitement in their daily drive. And if you don't want those things, well then that's why the GLC300 exists.
+1
Old 02-06-2017, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 160 Likes on 151 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
+2
Old 02-09-2017, 10:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
GLC43
+3
Old 02-09-2017, 10:59 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
GLC43 AMG
Originally Posted by spyder987
+1
Well said! No one buys an AMG for it to by quiet and super comfortable.

I'm loving the suspension on the GLC43. Great mix of comfort and stiffness.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:41 AM

2017 Mercedes-AMG GLC43
Calling the sound of the factory exhaust on this vehicle a "drone" is a little bit of a stretch.
I'll have to disagree. After my original post. I came across another review with a similar criticism:

http://www.motoring.com.au/mercedes-...arison-105841/

There were no arguments over which V6 sounded better, either, the Porsche’s raspy, shrieking six easily accounting for the Benz’s relatively droney and bassy tenor.
There's something about the noise the exhaust makes while in comfort mode which irritates *some* people. My hope is this thread will serve as a rallying point for those of us that are in the minority. Maybe MBUSA will develop some sort of dealer installed mod that will attenuate the sound for those that want it.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:16 AM

2017 Mercedes-AMG GLC43
Originally Posted by vikeor
No one buys an AMG for it to by quiet and super comfortable.
"No one" thought Brexit would really happen. "No one" thought that Trump would win the US election. Years ago, "no one" thought that Porsche would make SUVs! A long time ago "no one" though airplanes would exist, either.

Imagine what "no one" will say tomorrow.

Sarcasm aside, plenty of different kinds of people buy AMGs. Otherwise there wouldn't be a "Comfort" setting. (Or an "Eco" mode for that matter.) Some people want it all. AMG is just like any other company: They want to make money, so they're going to broaden the appeal of the brand as much as they can. (Much to the disappointment of some enthusiasts, I'm sure.)
Old 02-10-2017, 12:50 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Very very slow
I've got my GLC43 since November last year and I could tell you that the exhaust noise is always there, including ECO mode. Especially when you turn off the radio completely, then you'll hear the exhaust and tire noise.
Is it bother me ? Not at all.
I have taken the GLC43 on a long road trip, I had the music on just enough to carry out a normal conversation with my wife and I hardly notice the exhaust noise when it's on the highway (maybe I didn't pay too much attention to it).
The suspension is a bit on the firm side even on comfort mode, which I blame it on the run flat tires.
The following users liked this post:
jeffzzz (02-12-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 03:01 PM

2017 GLC43
Originally Posted by FrostyZoob
"No one" thought Brexit would really happen. "No one" thought that Trump would win the US election. Years ago, "no one" thought that Porsche would make SUVs! A long time ago "no one" though airplanes would exist, either.

Imagine what "no one" will say tomorrow.

Sarcasm aside, plenty of different kinds of people buy AMGs. Otherwise there wouldn't be a "Comfort" setting. (Or an "Eco" mode for that matter.) Some people want it all. AMG is just like any other company: They want to make money, so they're going to broaden the appeal of the brand as much as they can. (Much to the disappointment of some enthusiasts, I'm sure.)
I wouldn't consider shutting up the exhaust and softening the suspension to be "broadening the appeal" of the AMG brand, but rather the opposite. Mercedes already makes dozens of vehicle models for people who want quiet exhausts and super comfy suspensions.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:59 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 GLE 450
I don't think the exhaust noise is loud on the GLC43. It's a different story if you were driving the 63AMG.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:37 PM

2017 Mercedes-AMG GLC43
I wouldn't consider shutting up the exhaust and softening the suspension to be "broadening the appeal" of the AMG brand, but rather the opposite. Mercedes already makes dozens of vehicle models for people who want quiet exhausts and super comfy suspensions.
Yeah, and they either have 4 cylinder engines or are too big. To me, right now, neither is acceptable.

Like you said before: The GLC43 isn't perfect. But right now it's the best option out there for me. I'm just using the power of the interwebs to get the notice of other people who have the same problem I do. Maybe collectively we'll be able to come up with a solution.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:38 PM

2017 Mercedes-AMG GLC43
Originally Posted by SmokinBuddha
I don't think the exhaust noise is loud on the GLC43. It's a different story if you were driving the 63AMG.
It's not a volume problem. It's more of a frequency thing.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:18 AM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
It's not a volume problem. It's more of a frequency thing.
So it could be fairly subjective if you are sensitive to that frequency. I don't recognise it at all as an irritant. Or perhaps there is something loose or broken in your vehicle. Have you taken it in and had them inspect it?
Old 02-11-2017, 01:07 PM

2017 Mercedes-AMG GLC43
Originally Posted by dejongj
So it could be fairly subjective if you are sensitive to that frequency. I don't recognise it at all as an irritant.
Could be. That's what I'm trying to nail down. Is it just a fluke that certain copies of the GLC43 make this droning noise? Or is it just me and a select "lucky" few that are sensitive to the noise of the exhaust and perceive it as "droning"? My gut tells me it's the latter.

Originally Posted by dejongj
Or perhaps there is something loose or broken in your vehicle. Have you taken it in and had them inspect it?
I don't have one yet. Mine isn't due to be built until mid-March. All my comments have been regarding the one GLC43 that my dealer had.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
A loose exhaust bracket or piece of heat shielding could be vibrating at specific frequencies.
The following users liked this post:
dejongj (02-12-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Bit confused Frosty, if you had this issue with 43 on test drive why would you order one?.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:23 PM

2017 GLC43
Could be. That's what I'm trying to nail down. Is it just a fluke that certain copies of the GLC43 make this droning noise? Or is it just me and a select "lucky" few that are sensitive to the noise of the exhaust and perceive it as "droning"? My gut tells me it's the latter.

I don't have one yet. Mine isn't due to be built until mid-March. All my comments have been regarding the one GLC43 that my dealer had.
I understand your point, but I think you are fighting a losing battle. Many people are already complaining that AMG is getting too soft and ubiquitous. Sounds like what you are looking for is a base model just with a bigger engine or more HP.

The new upcoming BMW X3 40i (non-msport) would probably address your needs pretty well. Even the current non m sport X3 35i would do it. Audi also offers a standard Q5 with the 3.0T engine, also along the lines of what you are talking about. Mercedes currently does not offer such a model in the GLC range.

Curious - given your complains about the GLC43 - why did you pass on the BMW and Audi for it?

Regardless, as I'm sure you already know, you can address your concerns when your GLC comes in with a trip to a custom exhaust shop and a -1 or -2 tire/wheel combo with non RFTs.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:45 PM

2017 Mercedes-AMG GLC43
Originally Posted by Philamg
Bit confused Frosty, if you had this issue with 43 on test drive why would you order one?.
I was hoping the noise was an isolated thing. As much as I liked the GLC300, the idea of driving something with a 4 cylinder engine really bugs me. So, I test drove the 43. The exhaust in Sport+ made me laugh like a maniac and I liked the acceleration. The suspension was a bit of a mixed bag but it's not a deal breaker. (Besides, I'm sure if I "downgraded" to 19 inch wheels, I'd consider it perfect.)

The idea that I can say I own an AMG was a factor as well.

I guess all I'm saying is that the pro's outweighed the cons.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 301 Likes on 190 Posts
GLC 450
Thanks for clarifying Frosty, my car arrives shortly equipped with downgraded 19 inch wheels, they are actually the standard size fitted in the UK. Was considering getting 20 inch wheels but it would have put delivery back 3 months as there is a shortage of them at manufacturers. Never considered buying a Merc before so the owning an AMG didn't come into it for me but GLC fitted the bill for me.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:20 PM

2017 Mercedes-AMG GLC43
My apologies in advance for the wall of text that follows:

Sounds like what you are looking for is a base model just with a bigger engine or more HP.
Pretty much! If I were Dieter Zetsche for a day I would throw the V6 into the GLC300, call it the GLC400 (or whatever), maybeee detune it a bit for product differentiation and call it a day. More power is all well and good, but there's something to be said about the smoothness of having more cylinders.

(While I'm fantasizing: I'd replace the Benz 9-speed automatic with the ZF 8-speed.)

The new upcoming BMW X3 40i (non-msport) would probably address your needs pretty well. Even the current non m sport X3 35i would do it. Audi also offers a standard Q5 with the 3.0T engine, also along the lines of what you are talking about. Mercedes currently does not offer such a model in the GLC range.

Curious - given your complains about the GLC43 - why did you pass on the BMW and Audi for it?
(Keep in mind the following comments are based on test drives I did back in mid-2015.)

Audi Q5: I only test drove the 2.0T. (The 3.0T is rare in my neck of the woods.)
  • Pros: I liked the exterior styling. It felt well built. Has a usable back seat. The 2.0T had decent acceleration and the transmission was smooth.
  • Cons: The interior is a bit bland and the infotainment - even back in 2015 - felt a bit dated. Also: Everyone seemingly has one.
Nice car, but it didn't move me enough to go "TAKE MY MONEY!!" so I decided to wait. Maybe if I'd driven the 3.0T at the time I'd have felt differently? Anyway, if the GLC didn't exist now, I'd probably consider a used Q5 3.0T. (There's a redesign of the Q5 coming out - I think - later this year. But I'm sick of waiting.)

BMW X3: Ho boy...Okay, story time:

My friend and I walked in to the local BMW dealership and he asked to test drive a specific (CPO) 528i they'd advertised. We waited almost - no joke - 20 minutes because they "lost the keys". When they finally pulled it up, you could stand 10 feet away and see that it had been dinged and scratched in a bunch of places. Mind you, this was a CPO vehicle. Between the wait time and the condition of the vehicle, he was pretty disgusted and he turned it away without even test driving it.

Next, I asked to test drive a used X3. There was more waiting while they tried to find the keys. (WTF?) Salesguy finally pulls up a X3 28i xDrive. It was labeled as a CPO and I *think* it was a 2013. I like the shape of the X3, though I wish it had dual exhaust. Dark metallic blue exterior, beige interior. The cargo area had an abundance of scuff marks all over it. Looks like it had been used to transport tires or somesuch repeatedly. I sit in the drivers seat. I notice more scuff marks on the door and footwell. Carpet isn't in the best shape. I think to myself: "Did they even bother to clean this thing?!?" At this point, I couldn't help but notice the abundance of plastics used in the interior. Gauge cluster is pretty boring to look at. The whole thing felt cheap. Test drove it anyway to just get a feel for it. I heard several squeaks while going over potholes and such. I couldn't believe they were trying to sell this thing for the price they were asking. ($42k!) I remember walking away thinking "That's supposed to be a luxury car?!? For that price?!? F**k that!"

While I'm sure the BMW X3 40i would be a hoot to drive, you can hopefully see why I'm sour on BMW!

While I'm at it, I also test drove the following:
  • Acura RDX - Despite what Honda/Acura thinks: Acura isn't a luxury brand. The RDX is not a luxury vehicle.
  • Lexus NX200 - Engine engine sounds horrible when pressed. The NX200 had one thing that I wish the GLC had: The rear seats reclined!!
  • Infinity QX50 - Dated interior. The back seat clearly wasn't designed for adults. I have no idea why they even put 4 doors on this thing. The trunk was practically non-existent too. Strong engine though.
  • Porsche Macan S* - Great vehicle and it doesn't surprise me at all that 1) Porsche raised the MSRP up by ~$5k after the first year 2) It's still difficult to negotiate discounts. Porsche clearly prioritized driving dynamics over utility which is why I dismissed it. (For it's size, the front seats are too cozy and the back seats are even worse.)
Regardless, as I'm sure you already know, you can address your concerns when your GLC comes in with a trip to a custom exhaust shop and a -1 or -2 tire/wheel combo with non RFTs.
Yes, agreed. I keep lamenting the fact that MBUSA doesn't offer 19" wheels on the 43 here despite offering them elsewhere.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:39 PM

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts
C300 S205 AMG, GLA 45 AMG
Dear Mr F Zoob..

I can understand where you are coming from.
Wanting "feel" through the chassis doesn't HAVE to mean crashiness on small road imperfections.... the very low profile run flats certainly exacerbate this characteristic..
Wanting a solid responsive powertrain doesn't have to mean poorly attenuated frequencies at highway cruising speeds.
I had these same issues with my S205 AMG... (chipped and exhausts added amongst other things).. ie I like engine noise but at the right rpm and frequencies..
I want good tight handing but not with zero ride..
To date I addressed the issues by switching the run flats to conventional summer performance tyres, and by adding copious dynamat to the interior of the vehicle to reduce crappy road noise, wind noise and the majority of the small drone which was present..
So after a little tweaking (okay stripping the interior of your car and rebuilding it is a little more than tweaking but... ) it is now pretty much exactly what I always wanted..
perhaps a little fettling will get you where you want to go to?