Go Back   MBWorld.org Forums > Technical & Vehicle Assistance Forums > Mercedes Tech Talk
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.

Sponsored by : Pelican Parts
Click Here

Welcome to MBWorld.org!
Welcome to MBWorld,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2005, 03:30 PM   #1
Almost a Member!

Drives: 2003 SL500 (R230)
SmartKey and Keyless-Go reprogramming

1. Can a SmartKey from another Benz be reprogrammed by the dealer to work with my current Benz?

2. Can a Keyless-Go card from another Benz be reprogrammed by the dealer to work with my current Benz?
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

southernbmw2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 04:35 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Justinius7 Send a message via Yahoo to Justinius7
i have heard two different things on this... which is true

i lost my smart key... the dealer ordered one for me, and i had to park the car in the garage for 1 hour with the key in the ignition so the car could program the key...

i then (same key) ran the key through the clothes washer, which shorted the key out... went to the dealer, they gave me a loaner car for 3 days, while they ordered a key with the VIN number from the factory...
driver adaptive electronic 5 spd~C5 & C7 packages~alabaster white~ charcoal leather~pano roof~mb star shift ****
20% tint~bose~euro command system~disk changer~video adapter with dvd/tv/mp3~silverstars~airbox baffels removed
TEIN SuperStreet damper kit~AMG sways~18" staggered lorinser LM6 replicas~debadged~tinted tail lights and side markers
Netherlands chirp with panic

1998 C230
2003 C240
2003 CLK320 Coupe
Justinius7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 04:44 PM   #3
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: 1967 Morris Cooper "S", 1983 911SC, 1997 Toyota Tacoma, 1999 HD FXSTB, 1998 C43
NO on the first. You must obtain another NEW key. I dunno about the second....
StapleGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 09:24 AM   #4
Almost a Member!

I called a local dealer yesterday and they told me that they can REprogram ANY smart key with the same SEQUENCE for my car. They told me that the sequence makes this key compatible with my car and they CAN reprogram it. They said it will cost me one hour of labor which equated to $70. This, of course, does not cover the metal blade which is specifically cut for each car. I never use the blade anyways so I can get any blank and slide it into the housing to hook the key on my keyring.

My Opinion:
I think Benz is making up this crap that the keys have to be ordered to match your VIN. If this key can be programmed then I am sure that it can be reprogrammed. The whole idea of technology today is to make things easier and reusable. The idea of this key having to be ordered from the factory is not easier for us or Benz. I would even bet that the microchip in the smartkey can be reprogrammed. Benz is probably saying this to cover up their security glitch with this new smartkey technology.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:32 AM   #5
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: 2002 CLK430
Sounds like you mean flash memory. EEPROM. Electrically-Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory. That's memory which can easily be rewritten. Or possibly EPROM, Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory, which can be erased with a special UV light. If Mercedes-Benz uses PROM for part of the key, Programmable Read-Only Memory, then no, it's write once and if you change your mind then you have to start with a blank chip. In reading the press kit, it appears that part of the SmartKey system is either EEPROM or EPROM, because the some of the codes on the key are changed each time the car is started. Having another part of the code on a PROM would lesson the odds of owners accidentally clearing a key. The challenge for Mercedes-Benz was to create a key that THEY could make, but could not be easily duplicated by anyone else. Personally, I'm neither defending nor condemning, just explaining.
MarcusF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 09:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbmw2005
Benz is probably saying this to cover up their security glitch with this new smartkey technology.
Smartkey has been in existance for almost 10 years now.
vinamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 11:51 AM   #7

no and no
TECHNICIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 02:40 AM   #8
Almost a Member!

#1. no
#2. no

The key fobs have to be flashed. When they get flashed they are married to that car and that car only.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 07:31 PM   #9
Almost a Member!

So, how is the blank key programmed (technically) by the car??????

This means that the car is writing information to the key which means that information CAN be written to the key.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:34 PM   #10
Almost a Member!

Done

I got a smartkey REPROGRAMMED today. The key came from another benz that I used to owned and I had it reprogrammed for my SL for $70.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:23 PM   #11

I sure would like to know how they did it!!!
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 09:39 AM   #12
Almost a Member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl
I sure would like to know how they did it!!!
Probably told him what key on the track it was, and maybe got a green key from benz to reprogram it?
D_TECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 10:59 PM   #13

Drives: LS7 powered Corvette
Here's what I know of SmartKeys.

8 total key tracks. 3 total keys per track so effectively you can use 24 keys before replacement of the EIS is required.

Key tracks one and two will be the keys supplied with your vehicle and support all of the memory functions, etc. Any key from track 3-8 is an additional key.

When you replace the key, new key is programmed for the vehicle at the PDC. Once you insert the new key into the EIS, The eis itself recognizes the new data and the led on the key will illuminate. The eis will then erase the entire remaining starts/codes from the replaced key so that the new one will be active. The first thing you will notice is that the key will turn in the ignition. If you are able to depress the brake and remove the shifter from park, it is complete. Some cars display, 'computing data' in the cluster.

A replacement "additional" key will most likely be the first key of the given track so it will almost program immediately. In some cases, replacements of original keys require connecting a charger b/c it takes so long. Also, on older 220's they recommended using das the switch on circuit 15 of the ESM.

The "green key" just personalizes a new EIS. Meaning at the time of install, it gives the EIS, once installed and powered all of the vehicle specific data/VIN info. Well, not all of it. Specific components are then coded using SDS.

Keyless go chip cards are a nightmare to get to program most of the time. I don't know what the issue is... software or what. The KG smartkeys are not so bad....

Alright, now I just don't know what the hell I'm talking about.
csumt76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:04 AM   #14

Nothing wrong with what you wrote. 100% correct.

I wanna know how they got some old used smartkey to reprogram to another car for 70 bucks!
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:21 AM   #15

Drives: LS7 powered Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl
Nothing wrong with what you wrote. 100% correct.

I wanna know how they got some old used smartkey to reprogram to another car for 70 bucks!
Yea, I don't believe that... honestly.
csumt76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:29 AM   #16
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: 2003 c320, 2002 s500, 1992 300SD
Send a message via AIM to SUNILP Send a message via Skype™ to SUNILP
[MB]CRS has written everything correctly. I don't believe the dealer reprogrammed a used preprogrammed smartkey. I have done extensive research on this when i retrofitted my keyless go system and it is NOT possible.

1993 300SD Updated
2004 S55 AMG
2003 C320 with supercharged s55 engine
2004 E320 Wagon with OM648 Diesel Loaded
2008 ML320 CDI Package PIII
SUNILP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 10:07 AM   #17

Agreed
TECHNICIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:52 PM   #18

Drives: 1998 C43 AMG, 95 Acura GSR , 97 Civic Hatch
I was told by my local MB dealer that they can reprogram any smart key also..I just bought one off ebay..so is it able to be reflashed or not? I want facts please, no opinions. THANKS

When a Honda just wont cut it..
tonysemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:14 PM   #19
Super Moderator

Drives: MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysemi View Post
I was told by my local MB dealer that they can reprogram any smart key also..I just bought one off ebay..so is it able to be reflashed or not? I want facts please, no opinions. THANKS
Well if your local dealer told you so I hope he'll refund your purchase once he finds out he can't do it.

And why ask here if you believe your dealer and already bought one? Don't you trust your dealer? Let us know the outcome. But be forewarned; members will want undeniable proof.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:45 PM   #20

YOU CANNOT REPROGRAM A SMART KEY!!!! I bought one off ebay under the impression it could be reprogramed, my service writer said it could be done, HOWEVER when I took the key to the dealership they were unable to link the key to the car. The power door locks and trunk...YES. But NO ignition! DO NOT BUY SMART KEYS OFF EBAY!! OR USED KEYS< THEY WILL NOT WORK. Thanks

Old 01-04-2010, 07:47 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdeutsch View Post
Well if your local dealer told you so I hope he'll refund your purchase once he finds out he can't do it.

And why ask here if you believe your dealer and already bought one? Don't you trust your dealer? Let us know the outcome. But be forewarned; members will want undeniable proof.
And NO I dont trust my dealer, that why I asked you (the community) because ive worked for a dealer, and they are not always trustworthy or knowledgable. As in this case in point.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:47 PM

Tags
05, benz, bmw, card, e350, key, keyless, mb, mercedes, problem, programing, reprogram, reprogramming, sl500, smart, star