S-Class (W221) 2007-2013: S 320 CDI, S 350, S 450, S 500, S 550, S 420 CDI, S 600

Airmatic Mulfunction Error Message

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 10:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 S550 4Matic
Airmatic Mulfunction Error Message

Driving home yesterday I drove over some railroad tracks. On the other side of the tracks I received the all dreaded Airmatic Mulfunction warning light. I was almost at the house and the ride became very stiff and choppy. Anyway, everything seems to work just fine, no unusual sounds from the pump, vehicle raised and lowered with no problem but this morning the malfunction is still on. Any suggestions???????
Old 07-27-2014, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
I'm having the same problem. I replaced one of the shocks with an Arnott last year, and it was working fine, but soon after I started getting the problem you described....Airmatic malfunction, ride height remains unaffected but the damping reverts to some default mode that has very little shock absorption.

The strange part is, once the car has been on for about 40 minutes, if I then turn it off and back on again, the error message disappears and it rides normally from that point until it's been off for a while. You should see if it clears up for you after a time as well.

I took it in for service and it came up with code 5160 I think, right-front solenoid valve. That does happen to be the shock I replaced, but they think the valve is "stuck" or some other issue and that I should replace the shock again due to defect. I am not convinced, however, as if the shock works normally after a time, it could be some connection or wire.

They won't do anything further to figure it out without replacing the shock, before I trouble Arnott I want to rule out any other problem. I am unsure what to do next.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:28 PM

2015 Brabus G63
For both of you, there are quite a few different issues that could cause the amber airmatic malfunction light. Take it to your go-to indy or the dealership if you chose and have them hook it up to their STAR machine to determine which code it is throwing.

Some of the most common causes are the compressor going bad or one of the valves in the valve block. The valve block has 5 valves, however individual valves cannot be replaced, so if 1 is bad you've have to replace the whole valve block.

Best of luck to you both, let us know the outcome
Old 08-09-2014, 05:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 S550 4Matic
Shop pulled the codes and came up with a bad strut that I just installed from Arnott. They also came up with a bad ABS sensor as well. I called Arnott and filed a warranty claim. New strutt and ABS sensor came in and installed. Error cleared.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Popo Here
Shop pulled the codes and came up with a bad strut that I just installed from Arnott. They also came up with a bad ABS sensor as well. I called Arnott and filed a warranty claim. New strutt and ABS sensor came in and installed. Error cleared.
Yep, if my OEM airmatic units give me any trouble I am going straight for Arnott!
Old 08-10-2014, 04:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 645 Likes on 484 Posts
W212 FL
That's very nice , happy driving .I trust your Arnott drives as smooth as OEMs do
Old 08-10-2014, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by Popo Here
my bet was the plug for that corner (which does abs and airmatic) was not fully inserted and the railroad tracks finally caused that to disconnect fully.

Not really much you can do now, just a heads up for the future.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:56 PM

S550
I fussed with the wires and connections and now the error message isn't coming back on, hope it stays that way....One thing I noticed when first installing is that the tab from the shock connector was broken off so it didn't click onto the ABS plug very well, but I was still able to insert them together. I think it's something to do with a problem either inside the wire or plug, or something that stops it from making full contact, and the heat from running the car for 40 minutes causes it to clear.

Even if there was no warranty you could get 3 Arnotts for the price of 1 OEM shock installed, but they have great customer service anyway and I trust that the shock itself is mechanically perfect, just can't always tell electrical wiring issues right off the bat.