S55 AMG, S65 AMG , S63 AMG (W220, W221) 2001 - 2013 (Two Generations)

V12 fan shroud

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 05:03 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
2007 S600
V12 fan shroud

I know my S600 ain't an AMG but I imagine all V12 220 bodied cars are the same for this. So, I popped for the Speedriven idler pulleys (nice stuff) and went to install them today but ran into an issue right off the bat. Unlike my old S55 its VERY tight in there. Looks likes in order to remove the fan shroud I will need to remove the drivers side radiator hose as well as disconnect the passenger side tranny cooling line in order to clear the lower support pegs on the shroud coming out the top: is this correct? I'd like to avoid any dis-assembly that isn't needed but looks like that is what it takes.

If yes, how does the radiator line come off at the radiator? It looks like the hose is clamped to an elbow that is fitted to the radiator itself. Does the elbow come off? How? It looks likes it needs to for the shroud mount peg to clear.

Thanks in advance for advise, preferably from one of you who's "been there done that". I gotta get off my *** and get the WIS for this car
Old 04-11-2014, 05:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 S65 AMG
call/pm speedriven. they should know the answers if it didnt say in the instructions
Old 04-11-2014, 06:08 PM

2007 S600
Originally Posted by richvegas
call/pm speedriven. they should know the answers if it didnt say in the instructions
What instructions? They send pulleys, not manuals!

Actually, I should be able to figure it out, just wanting to make sure I actually have to disconnect the two lines and I don't want to break anything. Once the shroud is out of the way releasing the tensioner and replacing the pulleys is a piece of cake.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 265 Posts
2006 S600
No, you don't remove the radiator hose, you just disconnect the upper tranny cooling connection; no biggie. Its not the shroud you take off, its the whole fan assy, starting with the 4 pin electrical connector.

Its not easy, it takes a lot of manipulation and a lot of care and not a little force at times. Facing backwards, you lift the left hand end of the fan assy first, and tilt it about 30 deg to clear the rad inlet. Get a good light, take your time and take care.

Nick
Old 04-11-2014, 08:38 PM

2007 S600
Originally Posted by Welwynnick
No, you don't remove the radiator hose, you just disconnect the upper tranny cooling connection; no biggie. Its not the shroud you take off, its the whole fan assy, starting with the 4 pin electrical connector.

Its not easy, it takes a lot of manipulation and a lot of care and not a little force at times. Facing backwards, you lift the left hand end of the fan assy first, and tilt it about 30 deg to clear the rad inlet. Get a good light, take your time and take care.

Nick
Nick,

Thanks, that what I thought might be the case, one side open and tilt it. Looks like the tranny cooling line is the easier removal. Plus I got the WIS from another poster on the 220 forum.

Thanks again, I'll tackle it fresh tomorrow.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:26 PM

2007 S600
All done! Disconnecting the tranny cooler hose was the key; then you can tilt it enough for the lower support on the other side to clear the hose without removing the hose. Smooth running mon!
Old 04-14-2014, 11:57 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
It is double without removing the fan assembly, depending on what tools you have available. The only issue is getting that dust covers off the stock pulley. Other wise its a at home project. Even if you do remove the trans lines you don't lose much fluid and the job doesn't get to messy. Congrats on the install!
Old 04-14-2014, 12:29 PM

2007 S600
Originally Posted by Speedriven1
It is double without removing the fan assembly, depending on what tools you have available. The only issue is getting that dust covers off the stock pulley. Other wise its a at home project. Even if you do remove the trans lines you don't lose much fluid and the job doesn't get to messy. Congrats on the install!
I realized after the fact that it probably could be done without removing the fan assembly but I think in the end it was easier to just pull it out. Like you said, very little fluid lost from tranny line disconnect. And without the fan assembly a doable but PITA task becomes a piece of cake.