Sponsored by:

Trans acting weird w/ no codes...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
a land yacht.
Exclamation Trans acting weird w/ no codes...

So I started having this issue a couple months ago, I don't drive the car much but it started out being only sometimes and now its all the time...

When I put the car in 1st, either on the steering wheel or shifter, the car will shift automatically into second. If I put it in M and put it in 1st, it will shift into second at low rpm and even go back into D.

Basically the car doesn't want to stay in gear under light acceleration, it just shifts on its own. Does the same thing when downshifting, it will just upshift back after a second or two...

Any ideas? Anyone else heard of or experienced this?

Random side note: my key has a 6 second delay when unlocking and locking the car. New batteries in the key and the car, 6 second delay every time. Not sure if these could be related.
The following users liked this post:
SuperChargerE55 (08-04-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 12:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
W211 E63
Does it shift out of second into 3rd?

My car did that when it had a faulty valve body. It was the cars limp mode.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:48 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2006 E55, 2006 saab 93 aero, 2010 glk 4m
My car did this on 2 occasions when my oil level sender failed. Replaced the sensor each time and it fixed the issue of moving from M mode to sport or C mode. Car detects a low oil level and upshifts to keep rpms low.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a land yacht.
Yea, it'll shift out of 2nd and into 3rd, then into 4th on its own. Did you guys have codes for the valve body or sender?
Old 07-13-2016, 05:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
W211 E63
Originally Posted by C_DirtyTwo
Yea, it'll shift out of 2nd and into 3rd, then into 4th on its own. Did you guys have codes for the valve body or sender?
Ironically, I had no codes in mine. My mechanic took a leap of faith and diagnosed it as the valve body.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
if you have a 722.6 trans it is more then likely a conductor plate issue, which is a fraction of the cost of a valve body. Depending on mileage, if you are high it might just be smart to replace entire ehs but it really depends on your peace of mind. Sounds to me like limp mode as well.

If you have a 722.9 replace entire valve body. You need someone who speaks benz language to decipher if it's a valve body or conductor plate issue....
Old 07-18-2016, 01:59 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
E55 AMG V8 Kompressor 2004 E 55 AMG Type: 5,439 cc (5.439 L; 331.9 cu in) Supercharged V8 Powe
Was it diff to change

Originally Posted by nanayaw6
My car did this on 2 occasions when my oil level sender failed. Replaced the sensor each time and it fixed the issue of moving from M mode to sport or C mode. Car detects a low oil level and upshifts to keep rpms low.
Mine done it to I know now it is the Engine Oil level sensor after reading various threads and posting the code I get Engine Oil Not Plausible. weird thing it happent after oil / filter change. Is the Engine to hot or something when doing the change or just toast worn I wonder why it happens and you wrote happent 2 times for u how long interval was it if u remember?

Is it diff changemy mb dealer told me it is a pain?

Last edited by SuperChargerE55; 07-18-2016 at 02:05 AM.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:24 AM

Not at all

Mine failed right after an oil change which is annoying. You just drain all the oil out, then remove the 3 screws holding the sensor into the bottom of the pan. R/R, install the screws, put the oil drain back and pour oil back in.
If your MB dealer claims this is pain, time to move on to an indy.

Originally Posted by SuperChargerE55
Mine done it to I know now it is the Engine Oil level sensor after reading various threads and posting the code I get Engine Oil Not Plausible. weird thing it happent after oil / filter change. Is the Engine to hot or something when doing the change or just toast worn I wonder why it happens and you wrote happent 2 times for u how long interval was it if u remember?

Is it diff changemy mb dealer told me it is a pain?
Old 07-18-2016, 12:07 PM

E55 AMG V8 Kompressor 2004 E 55 AMG Type: 5,439 cc (5.439 L; 331.9 cu in) Supercharged V8 Powe
Sweet

Mine failed right after an oil change which is annoying. You just drain all the oil out, then remove the 3 screws holding the sensor into the bottom of the pan. R/R, install the screws, put the oil drain back and pour oil back in.
Nice saw pictures was also thinking how the heck can this be a pain lol.
Nice but just to clarify was the excactly same that happent to me sensor failed right after oil change that is weird damn.
Thanks sensor been ordered need oil drain plugs and Kobber washers again again lol...

Not so cheap the sensor well annoying really
Old 07-18-2016, 05:18 PM

Yup it's pretty annoying.

Mine failed about 30 miles after my oil change. It was super annoying because I changed the oil and drove to the drag strip which was almost 2 hours away and I was wondering why the heck my transmission was acting up at the track until I hooked up start and looked at my actual values for the engine and noticed the oil level reading jumping all over the place.
It was a wasted 4 hour drive for me that day . Little sucker is pretty expensive too. Fortunately for me, I had my old motor still sitting in the garage so I just pulled the one off that.

Nice saw pictures was also thinking how the heck can this be a pain lol.
Nice but just to clarify was the excactly same that happent to me sensor failed right after oil change that is weird damn.
Thanks sensor been ordered need oil drain plugs and Kobber washers again again lol...

Not so cheap the sensor well annoying really
Old 07-19-2016, 02:53 AM

Mine failed about 30 miles after my oil change. It was super annoying because I changed the oil and drove to the drag strip which was almost 2 hours away and I was wondering why the heck my transmission was acting up at the track until I hooked up start and looked at my actual values for the engine and noticed the oil level reading jumping all over the place.
It was a wasted 4 hour drive for me that day . Little sucker is pretty expensive too. Fortunately for me, I had my old motor still sitting in the garage so I just pulled the one off that.
Expensive little sucker u got that right lol. What a bummer but so happy dont got the Star diagnosis but tried with my old (please sit down gentlemen)
Carsoft 7.4 it found the code lol was pure test haha.
This is really good stuff and explains a lot. Thanks man highly appreciate all your help you and everyone else involved hope this can help others to...
Old 07-19-2016, 12:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
So I started having this issue a couple months ago, I don't drive the car much but it started out being only sometimes and now its all the time...

When I put the car in 1st, either on the steering wheel or shifter, the car will shift automatically into second. If I put it in M and put it in 1st, it will shift into second at low rpm and even go back into D.

Basically the car doesn't want to stay in gear under light acceleration, it just shifts on its own. Does the same thing when downshifting, it will just upshift back after a second or two...

Random side note: my key has a 6 second delay when unlocking and locking the car. New batteries in the key and the car, 6 second delay every time. Not sure if these could be related.

My car had this exact issue. After much trial and error, a simple software update resolved the issue. 5 years later - still good
Old 07-19-2016, 12:52 PM

just?

Originally Posted by ajm55
My car had this exact issue. After much trial and error, a simple software update resolved the issue. 5 years later - still good
Say again?
U had it solved by a simple Software update?
Really and no sensor replacing? Just the update thingy, I wonder if you got it doen on warranty mine is long gone and dead
Old 07-20-2016, 08:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Say again?
U had it solved by a simple Software update?
Really and no sensor replacing? Just the update thingy, I wonder if you got it doen on warranty mine is long gone and dead
Yes, a software update. Another dealership had a go at finding a fix and did replace some hardware (don't recall what) but that didn't resolve the issue or make any difference at all. I gave that dealership two chances to find a fix. They failed. I took the car to another dealership. They loaded the latest software and that immediately resolved the problem. This was done under warranty. Good luck
Old 07-23-2016, 04:08 AM

Yes, a software update. Another dealership had a go at finding a fix and did replace some hardware (don't recall what) but that didn't resolve the issue or make any difference at all. I gave that dealership two chances to find a fix. They failed. I took the car to another dealership. They loaded the latest software and that immediately resolved the problem. This was done under warranty. Good luck
Thank you..
Old 07-23-2016, 04:33 AM

Found this little DIY - Is it correct is it hold down by a E-10 socket?
http://www.mercedesmedic.com/how-to-...mercedes-benz/

Also found both DIY's in WIS/ASRA searching for free text Oil lol..
I will post 3 new DIY threads guys thanks for this huge help, here is the WIS/ASRA DIY
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Remove_install oil sensor.pdf (197.2 KB, 100 views)

Last edited by SuperChargerE55; 07-23-2016 at 05:23 AM.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:19 AM

Did you get the problem solved?
I'm sorry for stealing your thread I can see now after reading it again our problems are different mine just shift to S that's it. Got the sensor replacing it Saturday but Tought to appologize it was not my intention bro, but also thank you for leading me into the right direction I get back once replaced
Old 08-04-2016, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
The 6 second delay on the door locks is likely a central locking system pump vac/pnu.

When the pump gets weak it takes longer for the system to build vac/pressure.

Eventually it will fail completely

hope this helps problem 2.

cheers, Gator
seanol (08-07-2016)
Old 08-06-2016, 10:05 AM

Problem solved thanks

Thank you all thank you thank you thank you I got my car back I am so happy 4 months with this crap and tranny not just manual also S and C was not like it used to be it is now Yahoooo...

And huge thanks to C_DirtyTwo
Where ever you are, u helped me I wish I could help you..
Old 09-06-2016, 12:21 AM

Can you remember any changes in the Tranny after that software update?
Bringing mine on Thursday for software upgrade check currently sodtware 44.2002
Hardware 03.2001

Heard bad and good not sure if worth it shifts pretty nice as it is manual is really responsive
Old 09-07-2016, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a land yacht.
Thank you all thank you thank you thank you I got my car back I am so happy 4 months with this crap and tranny not just manual also S and C was not like it used to be it is now Yahoooo...

And huge thanks to C_DirtyTwo
Where ever you are, u helped me I wish I could help you..
Awesome, I still haven't gotten around to taking care of mine. Hopefully will find some time this month
Old 09-08-2016, 01:59 PM

Yea I'm really happy and went and got mine checked today AMG CENTER no tranny updates but was one for the ECU and I'm really happy now Bro what an improvement one would never now but I'm happy was worth it took 14 min...

Hope u get yours solve bro please let us know how it goes