E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Where to buy a complete STAR-system?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 09:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W211 E500 -04
Where to buy a complete STAR-system?

I have looked around and can't seem to get a clear solution.

I'm about to do the brake bleeding on my SBC and other stuff and is interesting in buying a STAR diagnostic system together with a friend who has a lot of MB's.

Can you recommend me a good link to a known working system? Preferably as low cost as you can go and still get some quality.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,503 Likes on 1,174 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Try PMing Shardul. He's a member on this forum and you can search for his posts. Not the cheapest, but a legit vendor and you will get some support from him. Otherwise it's a shot in the dark with a unit from aliexpress.com Just search for a Star C3 or C4 system. They can range from $300-$400 but there are reports that sometimes they don't end up working.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:24 PM

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
'13 E350 . M276
I got my system from this seller, but not the Dell D630, I got that locally for $80. When searching for a lap top make sure you get a minimum of 2GB RAM and 2.0 Ghz, the greater the better.

http://raceauto.en.made-in-china.com...stic-Tool.html

I paid thru Paypal. DHL shipping was included in price, which took like 5 days to get here. All arrived well and operated well, however, the HDD which they sent was well used. When I tested it on Dell's website, it showed to have been used nearly 2400 hours. So, if you could negotiate getting a Samsung SSD in place of the HDD, you'd be a step ahead. SSD is much faster and more reliable. I later bought the SSD on ebay and had someone clone it for me.

This system needs a person who is computer savvy, which I'm not, so it took me hours and hours to try to figure things out. I've had it now for nearly a year and it has paid for itself multiple times.

The support you get from that seller is mediocre, and I think the language barrier is a major factor. They log onto your Dell machine using TeamView and work out the bugs and do the set up. If you need support along the way, they help for up to one year.

You could find other sellers who sell same packages on amazon and ebay, but they could be a little higher. When searching type: Mercedes C4 SD Connect.

Last edited by Stuttgarten; 10-29-2016 at 11:30 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:00 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
07 E550 4M - 11 Audi TT - 99 Expedition EB
Originally Posted by Stuttgarten
I got my system from this seller, but Dell D630, I got that locally for $80. When searching fora lap top make sure you get a minimum of 2GB RAM and 2.0 Ghz, the greater the better.

Are you able to make any of these kinds of changes with your setup?

http://****************/?page_id=8
Old 10-29-2016, 02:37 AM

Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
20' RCF, 18' NX, 09' E350, 07' Solara, 05' STi, 01' Ranger
Arrow

Originally Posted by rtbrjason

+2 on this.

I am currently looking at picking up a C4 system which is around 900 bucks. I'm in IT so really I have tons of laptops at my house (which aren't ****ty) which I could use. But after seeing and reading things. It takes anywhere from hours to days to set it up properly. I can only imagine myself if it's anything like doing a Linux distro... in which case I fully believe it taking a week to get everything right.

If any of those are able to do the link above please chime in because that a major selling point on getting the system.

Plus when I swap to oem bi-xenons I am going to either have to take it to a place to do Xenon=Present or walk them through the process and they will charge me $90... I'd rather have the software and play around with it than pay someone. higher up front costs but the benefits are worth it in the long run if you plan on keeping the Merc.

-Nigel
Old 10-29-2016, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,394 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Base on some good reviews from UK member, I bought MaxiEcu from Poland
Got the package yesterday so far can tell that unit look promising with USB cable, working with Win up to 8 and the plugs look much stronger that those I have seen on C4 and were hard to use.
Still, just like Stuttgarten - I am running into software problem where loading library I am getting bad file message.
With weekend now it will take couple of days to get support, but unit should do the job comparable to C4 for less than $200.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
07 E550 4M - 11 Audi TT - 99 Expedition EB
Originally Posted by kajtek1
Got the package yesterday so far can tell that unit look promising with USB cable, working with Win up to 8 and the plugs look much stronger that those I have seen on C4 and were hard to use.
Still, just like Stuttgarten - I am running into software problem where loading library I am getting bad file message.
With weekend now it will take couple of days to get support, but unit should do the job comparable to C4 for less than $200.
When you get it figured out, see if it's able to do option programming and let us know?
Old 10-29-2016, 07:28 PM

W211 E500 -04
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
Try PMing Shardul. He's a member on this forum and you can search for his posts. Not the cheapest, but a legit vendor and you will get some support from him. Otherwise it's a shot in the dark with a unit from aliexpress.com Just search for a Star C3 or C4 system. They can range from $300-$400 but there are reports that sometimes they don't end up working.
Will do,thank you alot! I do not want to go the cheapest route and get stranded with no support. Rather pay some extra for something that works.

I got my system from this seller, but Dell D630, I got that locally for $80. When searching fora lap top make sure you get a minimum of 2GB RAM and 2.0 Ghz, the greater the better.

I paid thru Paypal. DHL shipping was included in price, which took like 5 days to get here. All arrived well and operated well, however, the HDD which they sent was well used. When I tested it on Dell's website, it showed to have been used nearly 2400 hours. So, if you could negotiate getting a Samsung SSD in place of the HDD, you'd be a step ahead. SSD is much faster and more reliable. I later bought the SSD on ebay and had someone clone it for me.

This system needs a person who is computer savvy, which I'm not, so it took me hours and hours to try to figure things out. I've had it now for nearly a year and it has paid for itself multiple times.

The support you get from that seller is mediocre, and I think the language barrier is a major factor. They log onto your Dell machine using TeamView and work out the bugs and do the set up. If you need support along the way, they help for up to one year.

You could find other sellers who sell same packages on amazon and ebay, but they could be a little higher. When searching type: Mercedes C4 SD Connect.
Thank you, I will look into this one. But as you say, the support seems important. I am familiar with computers, so should be able to sort some things out myself.

This seems VERY interesting! Do you know if this handles the SBC system the same as star? I want to be able to bleed my system in the correct way as well as repair it when that sorry day comes.

What does the MaxiECU lack compared to star?

inal star?
Old 10-29-2016, 11:23 PM

'13 E350 . M276
Originally Posted by rtbrjason

No, I have not even attempted, I wouldn't know how to, I'm only a beginner! The only thing I was able to do which I ran into by accident, was turning off seat belt warning in case I forgot to buckle up. I have used it to deactivate SBC, erase fault codes, version coded addition of bluetooth module, check battery and alternator, just very basic stuff. Once I have more time on my hands, I could possibly venture out and see what else is possible.

Last edited by Stuttgarten; 10-29-2016 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-05-2016, 05:48 AM

Arrow

No, I have not even attempted, I wouldn't know how to, I'm only a beginner! The only thing I was able to do which I ran into by accident, was turning off seat belt warning in case I forgot to buckle up. I have used it to deactivate SBC, erase fault codes, version coded addition of bluetooth module, check battery and alternator, just very basic stuff. Once I have more time on my hands, I could possibly venture out and see what else is possible.

Where did you go in the menu to disable seat belt warning?

-Nigel
Old 11-05-2016, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Faniskogen

This seems VERY interesting! Do you know if this handles the SBC system the same as star? I want to be able to bleed my system in the correct way as well as repair it when that sorry day comes.

What does the MaxiECU lack compared to star?

inal star?
You can see my adventure with MaxiEcu here. http://mbmedic.com/forum/threads/maxiecu.167/
As pictures show - I can operate SBC system with it. Did not go into new pump adaptation as I am not doing it, but seems the program is capable of doing it.
The big difference between MaxiEcu and SD clones is that you have legal software with legal updates written in good English.
Meaning you don't have to learn German to use advanced options, you have updates whenever they become available and you have support.
Programs are new and have some baby teeth. Right now the manufacturer is working on the glitch I have with 7G adaptation.
Old 11-05-2016, 05:16 PM

'13 E350 . M276
Originally Posted by NewShockerGuy
Where did you go in the menu to disable seat belt warning?

-Nigel
I tried going there once again, but unfortunately I was unable to trace my steps. As I said, I had stumbled upon that option by accident. I get confused between "Adaptation" and "Actuation" selections. I went to Control Units and from there I selected Seats and Doors, but that went no where

Sounds like Kajtek's new gadget is more user friendly!
Old 11-08-2016, 04:35 AM

W211 E500 -04
You can see my adventure with MaxiEcu here. http://mbmedic.com/forum/threads/maxiecu.167/
As pictures show - I can operate SBC system with it. Did not go into new pump adaptation as I am not doing it, but seems the program is capable of doing it.
The big difference between MaxiEcu and SD clones is that you have legal software with legal updates written in good English.
Meaning you don't have to learn German to use advanced options, you have updates whenever they become available and you have support.
Programs are new and have some baby teeth. Right now the manufacturer is working on the glitch I have with 7G adaptation.
Seems very good!

The main reason for me to get it now is the SBC. I want to be able to bleed the system correctly and also make the replacement when the SBC fail eventually.

So this is actually more user friendly than STAR, that sounds very promising.

Are there any options missing in this one compared to STAR that we would miss?

Is this the package with everything I need?
http://www.mpm-com.pl/index.php?rout...product_id=102

Or do I need to add anything else?

Last edited by Faniskogen; 11-08-2016 at 04:42 AM.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MaxiEcu does updates over the Internet, just like Microsoft is doing with Windows.
You choose Bluetoth version, what is more expensive and not really recommended.
I am not 100% satisfy with the program, but at this point gain enough confidence to organize group buy.
I think I can get them for $140 shipped.(wired version)
Will make new topic.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here is the link for group buy
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...d-scanner.html
Old 11-09-2016, 04:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL55 AMG
MaxiEcu seems good but not professional device for Mercedes
A complete kit STAR Diagnosis +latest version SSD+ Dell laptop all pre-installed under $750 is not a bad choice?
http://www.mbstartool.com/wholesale/...aptop-4gb.html
Old 11-09-2016, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

From what I heard about 90% of Mercedes shops in Poland work with MaxiEcu.
When the program has its limits, it is legal purchase with licence and support and you don't have to crack anything.
If you want to spend $750 for illegal clone, that sure is your choice.
Remember also that MaxiEcu will work on your other cars for small licence fee.

Last edited by kajtek1; 11-09-2016 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 692 Likes on 504 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by JTAC
MaxiEcu seems good but not professional device for Mercedes
A complete kit STAR Diagnosis +latest version SSD+ Dell laptop all pre-installed under $750 is not a bad choice?
http://www.mbstartool.com/wholesale/...aptop-4gb.html
+ $117.50 shipping...
Old 11-10-2016, 01:42 AM

I just bought this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152175336454?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I found another guy that is located in Baltimore MD which is 45 minutes away from me, had I seen that first I would have already had the C4 system...lol. But that's ok. I should have the above in a week and will post up how it is.

-Nigel
Old 11-10-2016, 07:45 AM

W211 E500 -04
Can maxi ecu read the temperature of the 7g transmission? Would be great when changing the Transmission fluid.