C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have 2016 M4-considering C63S Coupe- thoughts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Have 2016 M4-considering C63S Coupe- thoughts?

I didn't really find much on these two here via the search function so I figured someone here has or had an M4 and now has a C63S Coupe.

I currently have an F82 M4 for daily driving purposes. Its tuned and has close to 475 whp (competition edition). It's rather quick and responsive and I actually like the looks too but as in all my cars... I get bored and because I'm looking to get another coupe for daily driving, the C63S has piqued my interest.

Disclaimer: I have not driven the Coupe yet but did drive the sedan. I enjoyed the sound and tq but did feel the MCT was a little reserved in regards to throttle input (Ive had 5 MCT's so I get it). I would tune the C63S Coupe so I think that might help in the throttle response. I have had 9 AMG's and currently have the GTS which is an incredible driver's car.

I have located a white coupe with the P2 package, AMG CF package, sports exhaust, and some other nice stuff but its missing HUD and the performance seats- if I go this route are these must haves as I really enjoy the HUD in the M4 but its not a deal killer. How will the tuned version of the AMG compete against my tuned M4? (similar M cars have trapped 123mph in ok conditions with this tune).

My M:

Old 12-08-2016, 02:39 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
R8 5.2 6MT
Vic, are you aware that in order to do a tune on the C63 S it involves roughly three hours of labor just to remove the ECU from the engine compartment? And that if you decide to do downpipes you need to at the very least drop the transmission or the motor if you do not want to cut the stock ones out? It definitely is not very mod friendly when you consider labor to do these items which can be done in other vehicles without much of a hassle.

IMHO, the C63 S sounds much better than the M3/M4 I agree with that part. It also has some great features in a daily (adaptive cruise and the brake hold function) that BMW omits from their M cars (stupid decision IMHO on BMW's part). The MCT is very quick in its shifting, I would say very comparable to the DCT. But I find the MCT can be jerky at low speeds. Unless there is something about the M4 that you are unhappy with, or some features that the C63 S has as I described that would add to your daily driver, then I would just stick with what you have. Unless of course just the change itself will make you happy LOL.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:44 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
2017 AMG C63S Coupe, Triumph 675R Daytona, Triumph Explorer.
I drove a M4CP and C63S coupe back to back as test drives last month and came to the following conclusion based on my experience and what makes me happy. I also live in the British countryside so its all twisty A/B roads and I'm a competent experienced driver (not a track hero).

External looks: M4CP has it, although the C63S coupe is a grower. M4CP just looks more aggressive to me.

Cabin: C63S, miles ahead of the M4CP (even with full leather), build quality materials and finish.

Driver interface: M4CP has a slightly better gear box and the Idrive is finally working well. C63S is close behind though and the switch gear being great and THAT screen being a terrible design.

Drive comfort: C63S for me just a tiny bit more of a comfortable ride and everyday use. It was a little more predictable in the wet cold British weather. Not more traction just more predicable and controllable.

Drive performance: For me its all about fun and not setting lap times. In that case the C63S was awesome. First time I released how naughty I could be AND get away with it was epic grin time! So I kept doing it and had bigger grins. Tried the same in the M4CP and it made me thankful I had my brown pants on.

Smiles per miles: C63S won this one with me easy. Every drive the weekend I had it felt like an event. The sounds, the engine, the cabin just made me smile more than the BMW (and I was a Beemer fanboy).

Value for money: This changes I guess where you live, but while the C63S was more expensive better finance rates and dealer discounts in the UK meant it beat the BMW here too.

So I'm selling / trading in my M3 E90 saloon (3rd BMW) for my first Mercedes / AMG which arrives in 2 weeks...
Old 12-08-2016, 04:26 PM
Administrator

2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by Bluetonic
I drove a M4CP and C63S coupe back to back as test drives last month and came to the following conclusion based on my experience and what makes me happy. I also live in the British countryside so its all twisty A/B roads and I'm a competent experienced driver (not a track hero).

External looks: M4CP has it, although the C63S coupe is a grower. M4CP just looks more aggressive to me.

Cabin: C63S, miles ahead of the M4CP (even with full leather), build quality materials and finish.

Driver interface: M4CP has a slightly better gear box and the Idrive is finally working well. C63S is close behind though and the switch gear being great and THAT screen being a terrible design.

Drive comfort: C63S for me just a tiny bit more of a comfortable ride and everyday use. It was a little more predictable in the wet cold British weather. Not more traction just more predicable and controllable.

Drive performance: For me its all about fun and not setting lap times. In that case the C63S was awesome. First time I released how naughty I could be AND get away with it was epic grin time! So I kept doing it and had bigger grins. Tried the same in the M4CP and it made me thankful I had my brown pants on.

Smiles per miles: C63S won this one with me easy. Every drive the weekend I had it felt like an event. The sounds, the engine, the cabin just made me smile more than the BMW (and I was a Beemer fanboy).

Value for money: This changes I guess where you live, but while the C63S was more expensive better finance rates and dealer discounts in the UK meant it beat the BMW here too.

So I'm selling / trading in my M3 E90 saloon (3rd BMW) for my first Mercedes / AMG which arrives in 2 weeks...

Wow, great intel mate!!!

Thanks for your input- I just went over to a local dealer and they didn't even have one (the store that has the white one is a bit far but they are holding it for me).
Old 12-08-2016, 05:36 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
2017 AMG C63S Coupe, Triumph 675R Daytona, Triumph Explorer.
Make sure you get a good test drive! Quite a few sides to the C63, many of which you wont find with a nervous sales guy sat next to you.

Happy car hunting!
Old 12-08-2016, 05:46 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
2008 BMW M3, 2017 C63s Coupe, 2015 S550, 2018 E63s

I just sold my M3 E90 and joined the MB family about 2 weeks ago. I have the say that I do not regret the decision at all (even though I am a huge M fan). Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine!
Old 12-08-2016, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Make sure you get a good test drive! Quite a few sides to the C63, many of which you wont find with a nervous sales guy sat next to you.

Happy car hunting!

I still have the C63 Black and that car is smiles galore.

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight16
I just sold my M3 E90 and joined the MB family about 2 weeks ago. I have the say that I do not regret the decision at all (even though I am a huge M fan). Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine!

Im leaning towards getting it- just need that drive.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Vic, why are you even wasting your time on these quotidian cars? With your garage you should look elsewhere.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by GBlansten
Vic, why are you even wasting your time on these quotidian cars? With your garage you should look elsewhere.

LOL Its funny you ask but Im just like anyone else. I may have some expensive rides but I respect what one can get in this price range as well. My M4 really is a good athletic car that can be tossed around; I can put miles on it, drive it at will and not even blink whereas some of the others are not my first choice for long drives or commutes or mall stops.

I need a really enjoyable traffic killer for the days I have to maneuver via the SoCal traffic.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Originally Posted by Vic55
LOL Its funny you ask but Im just like anyone else. I may have some expensive rides but I respect what one can get in this price range as well. My M4 really is a good athletic car that can be tossed around; I can put miles on it, drive it at will and not even blink whereas some of the others are not my first choice for long drives or commutes or mall stops.

I need a really enjoyable traffic killer for the days I have to maneuver via the SoCal traffic.
I would definitely consider the C63S then. It will be a blast.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 225 Posts
AMG C63s
I didn't really find much on these two here via the search function so I figured someone here has or had an M4 and now has a C63S Coupe.

I currently have an F82 M4 for daily driving purposes. Its tuned and has close to 475 whp (competition edition). It's rather quick and responsive and I actually like the looks too but as in all my cars... I get bored and because I'm looking to get another coupe for daily driving, the C63S has piqued my interest.

Disclaimer: I have not driven the Coupe yet but did drive the sedan. I enjoyed the sound and tq but did feel the MCT was a little reserved in regards to throttle input (Ive had 5 MCT's so I get it). I would tune the C63S Coupe so I think that might help in the throttle response. I have had 9 AMG's and currently have the GTS which is an incredible driver's car.

I have located a white coupe with the P2 package, AMG CF package, sports exhaust, and some other nice stuff but its missing HUD and the performance seats- if I go this route are these must haves as I really enjoy the HUD in the M4 but its not a deal killer. How will the tuned version of the AMG compete against my tuned M4? (similar M cars have trapped 123mph in ok conditions with this tune).

My M:

Hey Vic, get the coupe... you will not regret it esp if you plan to tune it. The M4 will be no match...

Also, if you enjoy the GTS the coupe is basically the perfect alternative for a daily.

Good luck and do share some pics of the car if you go ahead.

Ps: Very impressive stable of cars you have there the c63s will be the perfect addition.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:39 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
x
c63s over the m4/m3 anyday! i have a fbo c63s and it destroys fbo m4/m3. Sound is incredible with downpipes, Sounds like a real engine vs. fake sound m4 lol.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 C63 Coupe
I just sold my 2015 M4 and got the C63 coupe. I had not driven the C63 before I ordered it so I was a little apprehensive. This was my 3rd M and I have had lots of fun with them and enjoy how they handle. That being said, I am very happy I switched. IMHO the M4's DCT is better and smoother then the MCT on the C63 but that's it. The cabin on the C63 is incredible. The power of the C63 is amazing and brings a smile to my face every time I floor it. The M4 did the same but the C63 is a step up.

This weekend I reached 1K and was able to play with the car a little and can tell you that you will not be disappointed if you switch.

Good luck with your decision. They are both great cars.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:42 AM

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2012 C63 AMG, 1991 325iS. Ex: 2011 C63 P31
The M3/4 is a great car, the C63S would deliver bigger smiles.
However, this is your daily, and just by looking at the dozens of complaints about the build quality on the W205, do you really want to go down that road?

I recommend staying with the M4.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:07 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
BMW328ix, AMG C43
I know it's not the same class, but I just moved up from a 2014 328 to ordering a C43AMG.

Before doing that, took lots of things into consideration, some of them might be relevant to you:
- test drove: Mustang GT (friend), Tesla P90D, C43, 340 xdrive, Jaguar XE... and others, not so relevant here
- needed/wanted 4 wheel drive
- interior C43 - best quality - this was a major thing in choosing C43 over the rest
- exhaust sound - C43
- handling, 340 seemed a bit better, a bit more agile (for my experience), Jag was really nicely rear end biased, you could actually do a drift with it if you wanted to (drove it without the sales guy )
- 0-60 - definitely Tesla(by far!)

Last year would have not considered a MB, but the looks grew on me, and driving one made a difference.

What I've learned so far from this forum:
- there are issues with W205, but there are lemons everywhere, I'm sure if you search a Bimmer forum there will be
- car will have crickets that need to be fixed, in cold weather (not your case)
- rewrite the ECU - get 50-100 more bhp
- everybody is HAPPY with the exhaust on this car!

...hope it helps a bit.
The following users liked this post:
YoungLane (12-12-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 10:06 AM

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts
'15 C63S
Build quality-wise, remember we're on a message board that has a tiny percentage of all the owners out there. Of that, whenever those owners have issues, this is their sounding platform.

Most people who have had no/little build issues aren't going to be waving ra-ra flags about it.

I had little issues when I picked up my mid-2015 build C63S. They were all resolved at the time I brought in my car for it's first service.

I have a sh*t eating grin every time I drive mine, and it's 'just' the sedan.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by vaelin
Build quality-wise, remember we're on a message board that has a tiny percentage of all the owners out there. Of that, whenever those owners have issues, this is their sounding platform.

Most people who have had no/little build issues aren't going to be waving ra-ra flags about it.

I had little issues when I picked up my mid-2015 build C63S. They were all resolved at the time I brought in my car for it's first service.

I have a sh*t eating grin every time I drive mine, and it's 'just' the sedan.

I agree here, bad news loves to travel fast while the happy ones really don't chime in all too much as to appear that they are gloating. I noticed the same on the GTS board where its a small sampling but the threads go on and on and the mole hill becomes the mountain.

And thank you to all for your input.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
I still have the C63 Black and that car is smiles galore.
There are reports and numbers showing that the W205 C63S Coupe's performance has exceeded or is on par with the W204 C63BS. But given the performance is nearly the same, I would still stick with the growl of the NA 6.2 in the W204 BS and thus enjoy the DCT in the M4.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:25 PM

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
2016 C63S
[QUOTE=Vic55;6989889

[/QUOTE]

these cars trap between 120 -123 stock. tuned i have seen 127and one of the tuners is running 10s @ 131 mph. So while the tuning may be tough to do you get great gains from just a flash (or a flash and Downpipes). also the coupe seems to be faster then the sedan so i am sure once people start running these with tunes we will see 10s @130 with just some good tires/flash/downpipes
Old 12-09-2016, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by otakki
There are reports and numbers showing that the W205 C63S Coupe's performance has exceeded or is on par with the W204 C63BS. But given the performance is nearly the same, I would still stick with the growl of the NA 6.2 in the W204 BS and thus enjoy the DCT in the M4.

My long time friend!!! I concur, the new breed of turbo's are clearly performers but the BS just has that "special" factor. Oh have you checked out the 991.2 Carrera's? They are posting up ridiculous track times and a stock one even trapped 150 mph in a half mile run.... that's strong for 420hp.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by bgm130
these cars trap between 120 -123 stock. tuned i have seen 127and one of the tuners is running 10s @ 131 mph. So while the tuning may be tough to do you get great gains from just a flash (or a flash and Downpipes). also the coupe seems to be faster then the sedan so i am sure once people start running these with tunes we will see 10s @130 with just some good tires/flash/downpipes

Thanks and Im not worried about 3 hours of quoted labor either for the gains that a tune would get. I was told that instead of going with DP's and having the tranny removed, was to go with upgraded turbos... of course this is all cart before the horse. But if I get the car Im going to do a tune asap.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:39 AM

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts
C63s
Your M4 is stunning. My current 435i and all my other previous BMWs had no issues and zero rattles unlike my new C63s.

I was also apprehensive to purchase the C63s without HUD and no performance seats because my previous C7 Z06 had both. I'm happy to say I don't miss either. You won't regret the C63s.

Last edited by BLAM; 12-10-2016 at 12:41 AM.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:55 PM
Administrator

BLAM- I have seen your car in other posts--- a most brilliant build. Did you lower with KW HAS? (I don't think I saw where you posted what you used).
The following users liked this post:
BLAM (12-10-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 04:29 PM

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts
C63s
Yes. Kw has.