SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: SL 550 with 'Needs'

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL
Exclamation SL 550 with 'Needs'

Hi all. New to the forum and wanted to ask an opinion of some people who know.

I am considering buying an SL 550, US import to Middle East where i live.

Its a 2007 model with an SL 63 kit, black, looks great however i am looking at service / maintenance report which i have attached and i am looking for advice on how much i can expect to spend (non dealership) to bring it up to full health.

Note car runs fine right now and i have only 24rs to close on the deal, so any and all swift advice is greatly appreciated from those that know.

In turn, i may add- i am getting what i feel is a good deal and as such a bit skeptical, so please if you can take a look at the attached and steer me clean.

Many Thanks,

Gfrc.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SL Service works report 1.pdf (196.0 KB, 175 views)
Old 06-06-2015, 08:11 AM

SL
P.S

It has 137000 km on the clock.....
Old 06-06-2015, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 774 Likes on 753 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to R230 forum...
Old 06-06-2015, 10:10 AM

SL
Question R230 forum?

Am i on the wrong forum here i assume??

If so please be kind enough to point me in the right direction,

Many Thanks.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

bone stock E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Gfrc
Am i on the wrong forum here i assume??

If so please be kind enough to point me in the right direction,

Many Thanks.
this is SL-Class forum for your car...
thus, you'll get more responses...
Old 06-06-2015, 10:28 AM

SL
so do i need a re post or your admin has sorted the issue please?
Old 06-06-2015, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

bone stock E55 AMG
so do i need a re post or your admin has sorted the issue please?
i already moved your post...
Old 06-06-2015, 10:32 AM

SL
good man, thanks.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,336 Likes on 2,061 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Pretty high miles and quite frankly I am not sure how well the inspection was done, given that they didn't even notice that this is not a 2012 SL63.

I don't know how good of a deal it is, but I would make the purchase contingent on the inspection of a certified MB dealer.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:34 PM

SL
Off piste already ?

Wow one of the first replies and already off subject.

Please ignore the obvious mistake in one of the service reports ref make and model and just focus on the question of " if I need this done to the car, how much will it cost" question please.

Anyone who can focus?

Regards,
Old 06-06-2015, 11:36 PM

SL
also that's not high miles but klm as stated.

Thanks
Old 06-07-2015, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator

Wow one of the first replies and already off subject. Please ignore the obvious mistake in one of the service reports ref make and model and just focus on the question of " if I need this done to the car, how much will it cost" question please. Anyone who can focus? Regards,
Off subject? You don't provide enough information to provide feedback. Insults won't get you much help...
I wouldn't buy a car like that for $20k in the U.S. Too many variables. U.S. Import, body kit conversion. High miles (even in km). Who knows how much this car was worked on or if it had accidents. The report details are insufficient at best, otherwise a joke.

IMO, nobody in their right mind would buy a car based on what you provided. Definitely not make a decision in 24 hours.

Good luck...
Old 06-07-2015, 01:40 AM

SL
My good man.

I am neither insulting or anything more than asking "how much these works may cost" and in neither your first response or indeed your latest reply have you answered any of my content.

All you have done is rant about people in their right mind and so on.

Keep your feet on the ground my friend. Keep your advice to yourself and keep away from the question as you have shown to be a little less than on the ball with this one.... ADMIN!
Old 06-07-2015, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
Over here a "Stanny tire road I rack Grnd" costs $8.00. It may be more over there once somebody figures out what that actually says.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

My good man. I am neither insulting or anything more than asking "how much these works may cost" and in neither your first response or indeed your latest reply have you answered any of my content. All you have done is rant about people in their right mind and so on. Keep your feet on the ground my friend. Keep your advice to yourself and keep away from the question as you have shown to be a little less than on the ball with this one.... ADMIN!
Great first impression pal... I am sure you'll make a lot of friends on the forum asking for help without providing sufficient information to get specific answers.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:34 AM

SL
I'm sorry Wolfgang for maybe misleading you. Making friends was never my intent and I truly hope that the next unsuspecting new member with a simple set question of possibly "can anyone tell me how much this may cost" actually gets an answer on point, rather than a word salad about integrity, shortsightedness, "lack of content for effective feedback" (I mean really/ here's an example. You work in a department store and as I know you work there, I give you a shopping list of items that you may be familiar with and ask if anyone can tell me how much they may cost in yours or similar stores for supply and fit, just an informed opinion?) instead I get some jumped up sales assistant looking at my list and starting on a crusade of asking me why I would want to consider such a request. I have many more things to think about first and on it goes....Immediately I turn around and walk out thinking , who interviewed that guy ? More importantly , how did he ever get that "supervisor" badge when he has trouble even sticking to the topic . More the fool me for even asking out to anyone he knows - they will for sure be laughing at his "additional free advice" . I found the info I needed swiftly in another store, anyway thanks for your input Wolfie.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:07 AM
Super Moderator

I'm sorry Wolfgang for maybe misleading you. Making friends was never my intent and I truly hope that the next unsuspecting new member with a simple set question of possibly "can anyone tell me how much this may cost" actually gets an answer on point, rather than a word salad about integrity, shortsightedness, "lack of content for effective feedback" (I mean really/ here's an example. You work in a department store and as I know you work there, I give you a shopping list of items that you may be familiar with and ask if anyone can tell me how much they may cost in yours or similar stores for supply and fit, just an informed opinion?) instead I get some jumped up sales assistant looking at my list and starting on a crusade of asking me why I would want to consider such a request. I have many more things to think about first and on it goes....Immediately I turn around and walk out thinking , who interviewed that guy ? More importantly , how did he ever get that "supervisor" badge when he has trouble even sticking to the topic . More the fool me for even asking out to anyone he knows - they will for sure be laughing at his "additional free advice" . I found the info I needed swiftly in another store, anyway thanks for your input Wolfie.
No need to waste more time responding to your BS. If you got an answer someplace else, good for you. Not sure how they were able to read that list (that was English, right?) and translate into parts/labor costs in your region (where ever that is).

FWIW, having owned R230 SL's for 12 years, the smallest of issues can end up cost thousands of $ (at least here in the US, maybe it's all cheap in the Middle East).
Getting an 8 year old, high mileage, modified SL like the one you describe, I would set aside at least $3k a year for maintenance/repairs no matter what you think your fix-up list will cost.