190E (W201) 1982-1993: 190E 2.3, 190E 2.6, 190E 2.3-16, 190E 2.5-16, 190 D 2.2, 190 D 2.5, 190 D 2.5 TURBO, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution I, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II

how do i turn off the a/c??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i've lost count
how do i turn off the a/c??

i thought it was the button that looked like a zero "0" ??

but i push that, and the air still blows...

i have NOTHING pressed (all buttons up), and the air STILL blows...

???

Old 05-05-2006, 12:40 AM

Papa smurf

Should just be the big "O". at least thats what it was in my W126.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
The O is off for the whole HVAC system. The AC Compressor is off in EC mode. What you are descibing happening to you can be a few diferent things. First is the fan still running when you select the O? If so then most likely your Climate Control Push Button panel is bad. If you just get air flow through the dash defrost section while driving then you have a vacuum leak or bad pod that is leaking. With no vacuum the Climate Control defaults to full heat from the defrost vents.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:03 AM

i've lost count
yeah, the fan is still running.

what should i start looking for in fixing the climate control push button panel?

and is this something a retard could fix? or am i going to need help?
Old 05-05-2006, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You have several options, new, used, or fix yourself if it is simple.

I had to buy two used ones before I got a working one from e-bay. This and other W201 questions are better asked on 190revolution.net forums. This is a great forum for other vehicles but the 190 is just old and not covered here as much. The Rev does only 190's and has very knowledgeable members who have been there done that already.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:50 PM

i've lost count
Originally Posted by mctwin2kman
You have several options, new, used, or fix yourself if it is simple.

I had to buy two used ones before I got a working one from e-bay. This and other W201 questions are better asked on 190revolution.net forums. This is a great forum for other vehicles but the 190 is just old and not covered here as much. The Rev does only 190's and has very knowledgeable members who have been there done that already.
yeah, i'm on there... but the rev's software sucks so much.

i hate browsing that forum. they should upgrade to vbulletin so you can keep track of your posts and subscriptions and other stuff in a much more sensible manner.

and it is SLOOOOOOOOOOOW as ****.

even slower than mbworld (which is atrociously slow).
Old 05-08-2006, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by LeftCoastBias

i hate browsing that forum. they should upgrade to vbulletin so you can keep track of your posts and subscriptions and other stuff in a much more sensible manner.

I never have problems with speed there. Strange! I agree that it would be cool to have the nice little arrow on a thread you have posted but I can figure it out pretty easily.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:50 PM

i've lost count
I never have problems with speed there. Strange! I agree that it would be cool to have the nice little arrow on a thread you have posted but I can figure it out pretty easily.
is there a page you can look at all the threads you've posted in? like "subscriptions"?
Old 05-08-2006, 10:45 PM
Almost a Member!

noob... :rofl
Old 05-09-2006, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is there a page you can look at all the threads you've posted in? like "subscriptions"?
I go daily so no need for me to look for it. But there is a link for view posts since last visit and there is one for View Your Posts.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:11 AM

i've lost count
someone find me the answer to this on 190rev... its just too hard to use that site!!!
Old 05-10-2006, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

someone find me the answer to this on 190rev... its just too hard to use that site!!!
Check every vacuum line and rubber connector in the engine compartment to see if any are disconnected or cracked. The slightest vacuum leak can cause all kinds of issues on these cars. Next you can rip out the glove box and passenger side vent and check the vacuum distribution unit for the HVAC system and check the one vacuum pod you see there, which is the blend air flap pod. You can also check the vacuum resevoir under the passenger side fender. There are one or two pods behind the gauge cluster. Remove the radio and blank panel or cassette holder to view the last two or three pods behind that. There are also rubber connectors to connect vacuum lines above the passenger side kick panel. Then you have the Climate Control Unit. Which has a fuse on it. Remove the center vents, remover the two bottom screws in the palstic panel that holds the vents and then you can remove the fan controls wood panel. Then you can see the two tabs that you must pull up on to slide the control unit out. This is easier if you still have the glove box or radio out to be able to push the unit from behind as you pull the tabs up to release it. The fuse is on the back.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:32 PM

i've lost count
Check every vacuum line and rubber connector in the engine compartment to see if any are disconnected or cracked. The slightest vacuum leak can cause all kinds of issues on these cars. Next you can rip out the glove box and passenger side vent and check the vacuum distribution unit for the HVAC system and check the one vacuum pod you see there, which is the blend air flap pod. You can also check the vacuum resevoir under the passenger side fender. There are one or two pods behind the gauge cluster. Remove the radio and blank panel or cassette holder to view the last two or three pods behind that. There are also rubber connectors to connect vacuum lines above the passenger side kick panel. Then you have the Climate Control Unit. Which has a fuse on it. Remove the center vents, remover the two bottom screws in the palstic panel that holds the vents and then you can remove the fan controls wood panel. Then you can see the two tabs that you must pull up on to slide the control unit out. This is easier if you still have the glove box or radio out to be able to push the unit from behind as you pull the tabs up to release it. The fuse is on the back.
jesus, thats an all day affair.

thanks! ...i think.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Actually the dash can be pulled in less than an hour and you can check everything under there and get a great idea of how it works. But most likely you just have either a bad CC unit or vacuum leak, maybe even a bad fan control switch. I would not personally start ripping the dash apart just yet, I would check the vacuum line going into the car and check valve there for leakage and pull the CC unit and check the fuse. Like I said I have bought 3 units off E-Bay and still spent only about $70 total on them all. One though I will add was bought just for the new wood piece as mine was nasty looking and cracked to hell.