190E (W201) 1982-1993: 190E 2.3, 190E 2.6, 190E 2.3-16, 190E 2.5-16, 190 D 2.2, 190 D 2.5, 190 D 2.5 TURBO, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution I, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II

Reviving my 190e !!!! Any helpful hints?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 03:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reviving my 190e !!!! Any helpful hints?!

Hey there fellow 190e owners!!! I'm just about to revive my 190e which has been garaged for the past 2.5 years. This car was my first car and oohhh baby i'm looking forward to starting it up and getting it back onto the road

BEFORE i do any of that however, I need some valuable advice so that I don't end up paying for random BS because I didn't take precautionary measures. Basically I went to school for 2 years and my sister just seems to have forgotten the 10 times or so I told her to start the car so the car stays good.

its a 1989 190e 2.3 btw

***main question*** here is, what things should i absolutely check? ie.) lubricate, tighten, bleed, flush, or anything along those lines before I attempt to turn over the engine and get it going again? Any help would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks a ton guys, and can't wait to get active in this portion of MBworld forums. Take care brothas
Old 10-23-2012, 07:43 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'85 190D , '12 E350 BlueTec, '13 GLK 250 BlueTec
Were it my car I'd drain and flush all the fluids, just like the M-B 'big' service, including brake fluid, tranny and rear end. Recharge battery and you should be good to go except for any of the problems that might have been there when it was parked.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W201 190E 3.0 M103
If it were me, I'd change the oil and filter before even starting it up, pouring oil down through the top of the motor gets it all over the valve gear which just about your main problem if it's been sitting for years...the few seconds delay on the first start up that it takes for oil to get up around the valve train again. Also I just don't like the idea of oil just sitting in the sump for 2 years in terms of its original qualities...though it's probably not as big an emergency as one might make out. Truth be told the valve gear is already bedded in and that's the main issue starting a freshly rebuilt motor, and why cam lube is used for that initial startup.

What you are likely to have however, is the cylinder walls are probably a little corroded. Not big time but enough to mean you could lose the piston rings if you don't drive it real soft for a few days and let them polish themselves smooth again.

As aforementioned, general servicing things aren't a bad idea, flushing/changing all the fluids from top to bottom before a startup would be good. And the plugs. I like those Bosch platinum-fusion type, expensive but great plugs for these period Merc engines.
Then drive with little loading on the motor for a couple of days, do some soft kilometres and see where you're at from there. Probably be fine.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1991 190e 2.3
do a full oil change as stated above ^^^ then i would recommend getting a gas can and filling it with 91 octane and putting that in there. along with Lucas oil upper lube and fuel treatment. it works great. make sure all your fluids are good for sure though. a new battery might be in order if its been sitting for that long. (especially if you live in an extremely warm /cold place like me in Arizona) let it idle for a good 30-45 minutes. make sure it doesnt spring any leaks or blow any hoses. rev it lightly at first then when your about to turn it off give it a couple more GOOD revs and let it idle an additional 15 minutes or so.