190E (W201) 1982-1993: 190E 2.3, 190E 2.6, 190E 2.3-16, 190E 2.5-16, 190 D 2.2, 190 D 2.5, 190 D 2.5 TURBO, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution I, 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II

Transmission, Idle problems?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 07:44 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'92 190E 2.6
Transmission, Idle problems?

Hello,

Today was the first time I am starting to get concerned about this. First off the oil pressure drops to under 1 when I'm about to stop or when I'm idling in traffic and the coolant temperature gets close to 110 degrees. Revs drop right to .5k, I feel vibration and the the pressure is under 1. Is that okay? I searched the forum and found the injectors may be bad, fuel pump might be going bad which I doubt, fuel relay or the ignition coil.

Second off, the automatic transmission was acting weird about 3 times. Accelerating from a stop the engine revved and the car went forward but slower than usual and I felt some bogging like the clutch pack was trying to grab on or something. The car has a messed up rear end, when accelerating it the sound gets higher and louder, but I doubt it's the rear ends fault. There is no clunking whatshowever. I talked to my mechanic about the differential (some time ago) he said if theres oil in the rear end nothing will happen.

Is it the tranny fluid? When I checked on my last oil change the fluid wasn't red but looked like thin regular oil... I think I should get it changed anyway.

I bought the car 2 months ago and have already made 1,200 miles.

Thanks, in advance.

Maciej
92 190E2.6

Last edited by MaciekPL87; 12-08-2004 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:31 PM
Almost a Member!

84 190E
oil?

as to the oil I would change out to a 10w40 or even switch to a 20w50. Or it could be time to just swap out the oil filter.
Tranny I can not make any suggestions since mine is a std.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
MB Specs state Oil Pressure only need be above .3 Bar at idle! As long as it pegs at 3 Bar at and above 2000 RPM or so it is all good.

I would change the fluid and filter in the tranny as well with MB approved fluid.

As for the engine issue, the clutch fan engages as 100 degrees. The aux electric at 110. If neither fan was engaged then you should check the fan sensor. At 110 the CIS-E will lean the mixture due to high engine temps and the engine may faulter somewhat to attempt to cool down. Depending on outside temps my engine never reaches 110 unless I sit and idle for about 10-15 minutes in warm weather or greater than 20 minutes in cold weather. I would check you coolant condition and do a flush and re-fill with MB coolant as well, no green stuff in an MB please as it will corrode the radiator and the rest of the aluminum components. MB Coolant or Zerex G-05 are the two that are suggested and used by MB enthusiasts. Check out 190revolution.net/forums for more info on the temp sensor issues.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:49 PM
Almost a Member!

'92 190E 2.6
Originally Posted by SRDiver
as to the oil I would change out to a 10w40 or even switch to a 20w50. Or it could be time to just swap out the oil filter.
Tranny I can not make any suggestions since mine is a std.
Hello, I have put in 20W-50 Shell oil. Was amazed it took 6.3quarts or something like that, thats alot, always better more than less =). Living in Miami I need heat protection especially standing in traffic. For filter I use Purolator.

Thanks,
Maciej
Old 12-09-2004, 08:59 PM
Almost a Member!

'92 190E 2.6
Originally Posted by mctwin2kman
MB Specs state Oil Pressure only need be above .3 Bar at idle! As long as it pegs at 3 Bar at and above 2000 RPM or so it is all good.

Is the oil pressure guage in Bars? At 2k it sure is above 3.

I would change the fluid and filter in the tranny as well with MB approved fluid.

I talked to my trusted mechanic, and Monday he will change the filter in the tranny, put Dextron in the tranny, and also drain the torque converter <-- seperate oil? Also the oil pan gasket will be chged.

As for the engine issue, the clutch fan engages as 100 degrees. The aux electric at 110. If neither fan was engaged then you should check the fan sensor. At 110 the CIS-E will lean the mixture due to high engine temps and the engine may faulter somewhat to attempt to cool down. Depending on outside temps my engine never reaches 110 unless I sit and idle for about 10-15 minutes in warm weather or greater than 20 minutes in cold weather. I would check you coolant condition and do a flush and re-fill with MB coolant as well, no green stuff in an MB please as it will corrode the radiator and the rest of the aluminum components. MB Coolant or Zerex G-05 are the two that are suggested and used by MB enthusiasts. Check out 190revolution.net/forums for more info on the temp sensor issues.

About the fan, he will put some rubber washers in the clutch fan so it is on constantly with the engine. I'll see how everything is after that is done.

The coolant I put in is dark green Shell coolant. It says its safe for aluminum radiators... I filled new coolant when the heater hose broke on me and I wasn't expecting for the whole system to drain by taking that hose off hehe.

Thanks for the help guys, I'm glad it's nothing catastrophic with the transmission (hopefully). It only has 105k on it and the car was driven by a family doing daily things and going to church every weekend, heh. I know it wasn't abused, but I don't know about the maintanance done. The original Service packet went only up to like 50k miles....
Maciej
Old 12-09-2004, 10:21 PM

Change the oil, use like castrol high millage or mobil1 15w50. change the filter (I use fram)

toss in a bottle of Lucas Heavy Oil Stabalizer (www.lucasoil.com) this will fix your oil pressure problem.

if your car is burning oil, CD2 oil bruning stopper works wonders!

I use both Lucas HOS and CD@ in my car. 300,000km and still goin strong thanks to this stuff.

throw another 1/4 to 1/2 litter of whatever ATF you are using into your tranny. that should fix it. but before you do that, check the fluid if it smells abd and is yellow, change the whole thing and the filter.

My tranny is full of mobil1 ATF and has a bottle of Lucas automatic tranny fix (my car is messed but running).

Your differential could be acting up. You may want to check/change the oil in there. Mine was thumping, changined the oil to some 75w90 and a bit of Lucas HOS and bingo.

Last edited by Messerchmidt; 12-09-2004 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Stay away from any coolant other than the Zerex and MB coolant. It is the only coolant that MB Specifies in there engines. Other coolants cause pitting and also eat away at the radiator. I would also throw a bottle of Water Wetter in as well. Myself I noticed my engine temps drop when I switched from the Green Coolant that the person before me used to the Zerex Coolant.

Sounds good about the fan since if the clutch is gone it is a pricey little part that I do not think is really worth it. The sensor that controls the fans though is only a $35 part and takes a few minutes to put in once you know it is the culprit. Myself I took my main fan off and only use the electric now. I do need to get an adjustable temp sensor for it though, I will run it with the factory setup so if it fails the factory will take over. These engines are fine unless they get into the red on the temp gauge, above 120. They were designed to run hotter than engines today. My new one stays at 80-85 all day long. My 190 is between 90-100 all day long.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:47 PM
Almost a Member!

'92 190E 2.6
Thanks for the help everyone, the transmission acted weird today again. The tranny fluid is yellow so it needs a change. I bought Redline Water Wetter and I will put it in when I get the cooling system flushed. I also bought the Lucas Automatic Transmission Fix and will put that in when I get the fluid and filter changed.

I tried to save money so I checked what I have and I have Marvel Mystery Oil and it is also Petroleum based like the Lucas HDSO. Mystery Oil doesn't say anything about being added to differential like the Lucas does. Can I still add some to the 75w90 gear oil, or do I have to get lucas.

Also today 1 month after I filled the cooling system with Shell Antifreeze the low cooland level light went on today, so I stopped and it appears that the coolant reservoir cap is leaking since the overflow mesh tube was wet and coolant spots in engine bay had no apperent source, but anyway, I checked the coolant and there is still creamy colored sludge, so I think it DOES need a flush.

Where can I buy Zerex G-05... Advance auto parts didn't have any, it only had additives from that brand.

Thanks again. Very knowladgable forum. =)

Maciej
92 190E 2.6
Old 12-11-2004, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I get the Zerex at PepBoys and I have seen it at Walmart as well. For the Diff I would get the Lucas and not use the Marvel.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:40 PM

I reccomend you do everything @ once.

flush the coolent system and add in some new coolent. Use a 60/40 mix of coolent and water. Toss in some detergent additives if it still runs hot, and use a coolent stop leak if its leaking.

i have experience with Lucas and know it works, take the mystery oil back.

Change your tranny fluid and filter, and then addin some Lucas At fix. IF that does not fix the problem, using some rubutussin grape will work...(No joke). Pour in half the rubutussin bottle, after 100km toss in the rest. the water part of it will burn off and it will thicken the tranny fluid. Worked in my car, made the shifts smoother. Mind you, people say this is dangerous. Since 190E is gona be trashed soon, I just do whatever works, and this did.

Get your oil and filter (I sue fram filters) changed, use a thicker oil. Castrol high millage 10w30 or Mobil1 15w50 and toss in a bottle of Lucas HOS. (Lucas synth HOS if you use mobil1). if you do your own oil change, make sure you have enough oil. 190E takes a surprising amount of oil (over 5L!).

dont mess with the differential unless you keep having trouble.

You may want to put a 8mm screw into your EGR valve hose. thats techincally illegal but it works. EGR is the little thing witha hose comming off your exaust manifold, but this may help.

Last edited by Messerchmidt; 12-11-2004 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:15 AM
Almost a Member!

'92 190E 2.6
Originally Posted by mctwin2kman
I get the Zerex at PepBoys and I have seen it at Walmart as well. For the Diff I would get the Lucas and not use the Marvel.
Thanks, I'll go to Pep Boys and get some of that stuff. Thanks. Maciej
Old 12-12-2004, 07:24 AM
Almost a Member!

'92 190E 2.6
Originally Posted by Messerchmidt
I reccomend you do everything @ once.

flush the coolent system and add in some new coolent. Use a 60/40 mix of coolent and water. Toss in some detergent additives if it still runs hot, and use a coolent stop leak if its leaking.

i have experience with Lucas and know it works, take the mystery oil back.

Change your tranny fluid and filter, and then addin some Lucas At fix. IF that does not fix the problem, using some rubutussin grape will work...(No joke). Pour in half the rubutussin bottle, after 100km toss in the rest. the water part of it will burn off and it will thicken the tranny fluid. Worked in my car, made the shifts smoother. Mind you, people say this is dangerous. Since 190E is gona be trashed soon, I just do whatever works, and this did.

Get your oil and filter (I sue fram filters) changed, use a thicker oil. Castrol high millage 10w30 or Mobil1 15w50 and toss in a bottle of Lucas HOS. (Lucas synth HOS if you use mobil1). if you do your own oil change, make sure you have enough oil. 190E takes a surprising amount of oil (over 5L!).

dont mess with the differential unless you keep having trouble.

You may want to put a 8mm screw into your EGR valve hose. thats techincally illegal but it works. EGR is the little thing witha hose comming off your exaust manifold, but this may help.

I will do the tranny first, than I will go over to flushing the coolant as I earn more money.

Why 60/40.... everywhere it says to do 50/50. I already got Water Wetter that I will add to the new coolant.

I bought Marvel Mystery Oil for my bike, some people swear by it.

If the filter, oil, and tranny fix don't fix the problem I'm selling the car, I can't afford to get the transmission replaced and thanks on the Rubitussun trick but I think I'll skip on that one. ;-)

The differential is so loud.... you have to drive with the radio on loud, or after 20 miles going 55mph your eardrums will hurt. I found a demantler that has differential from $100 to $200. A buddy is also changing his for a higher ratio in a '85 300 Turbo Diesel.

I'm not going to mess with the emission elements. Im moving to Chicago next year and they do emission testing there...

Thanks. Maciej.