A45, A35 AMG (W176, W177) 2013 to present. Two generations

A35 front window washer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2023, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 AMG A35
A35 front window washer

Hi - I'm having trouble with my window washer. Neither the front or rear work (wipers work fine) and no water comes out. I can't hear a washer motor turning on. I've checked the fluid level and it was nearly full, but I topped it up in case. I only just bought the car (2020 model A35) so not sure if/when it last worked and of course the dealer has no idea...

I've checked fuses 42, 44, and 169 as per this diagram, and they're all fine:
177 Fuse Diagram - MBWorld.org Forums

Apart from a dead washer motor, is there anything else that could be stopping the window washers from working?
Old 03-24-2023, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A45
Could just be sediments blocking the tubes, especially if the car sits outdoor and the washer is not regularly used. See if there are any DIY videos on YT otherwise might have to 1hr labor for a mechanic to unblock it.
Old 03-25-2023, 04:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,789 Likes on 2,372 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
I think MB likes to use specific washer fluid, any chance that switching the fluid might help?
Old 04-17-2023, 01:46 PM

E43
Mercedes has a canbus fuse for the washer push, so what that means is if the washer is out of spec it cuts off the power to it.

Have you tried the washer when you first get in the car and switch it on ? If it works then stops working the canbus will have withdrawn power to the push switch.
Its basically a software fuse.

What can cause this if some one hamfists the stalk button, the the stalk has a push for wash and a deeper push for wash wipe.

If someone has pushed the button in too much and its got stuck this will cause the canbus to cut off power.

Solution is to ease the stalk button back out with a pick and put a bit of lub in if you can.

It could be a dead motor but double check you have the stalk button fully out.

Cheers Vin
Old 04-20-2023, 09:43 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by vheverett
Mercedes has a canbus fuse for the washer push, so what that means is if the washer is out of spec it cuts off the power to it.

Have you tried the washer when you first get in the car and switch it on ? If it works then stops working the canbus will have withdrawn power to the push switch.
Its basically a software fuse.

What can cause this if some one hamfists the stalk button, the the stalk has a push for wash and a deeper push for wash wipe.

If someone has pushed the button in too much and its got stuck this will cause the canbus to cut off power.

Solution is to ease the stalk button back out with a pick and put a bit of lub in if you can.

It could be a dead motor but double check you have the stalk button fully out.

Cheers Vin
Good information thanks for posting.
Old 04-20-2023, 09:50 AM

E43
I only know this as someone had done it to my Dad's C-class. We were so confused by it only working at switch on, and then not working later.

My Dad got the button back out with a pick, the spring had been compressed a long time but with a bit of wd40 and exercising the button a bit it came back around.

Compared to my old C240 W124 I think modern Merc controls are far too light weight and I hate the fact they dont have a gearstick anymore.....

It may be BMW time fo me....
Old 04-23-2023, 09:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

I only know this as someone had done it to my Dad's C-class. We were so confused by it only working at switch on, and then not working later.

My Dad got the button back out with a pick, the spring had been compressed a long time but with a bit of wd40 and exercising the button a bit it came back around.

Compared to my old C240 W124 I think modern Merc controls are far too light weight and I hate the fact they dont have a gearstick anymore.....

It may be BMW time fo me....
Problem is the latest BMW also are doing away with the gear stick.
Old 04-24-2023, 03:25 AM

E43
Bummer!

I dont mind three in the tree as it were but put a proper stick in, not some wibbly wobbly bit of crap plastic.

They would have been better putting in 3 buttons in, more robust than a flimsy stick.
Old 04-24-2023, 08:21 AM
Out Of Control!!

Bummer!

I dont mind three in the tree as it were but put a proper stick in, not some wibbly wobbly bit of crap plastic.

They would have been better putting in 3 buttons in, more robust than a flimsy stick.
MB been doing this truck like gear shift for a while now, I guess the inspiration was from their Daimler Truck division. The GLK even had a foot activated parking brake like a truck but technically a GLK is a truck.

I heard the new 5 series is coming out soon but if you really want to get a BMW and care about the gear shift, you can look at the current generation or if you want a 3 series you can get the pre-facelift one.

Lastly, you have audi which also seems to be getting rid of the gear shifter in the next generation A6 or A4. I guess as manufacturers move towards electric, they don't think this standing gear shift makes sense to them anymore.
Old 04-24-2023, 08:47 AM

E43
Yes I can sort of see that its becoming less relevant, then again if that is the case why bother with a flimsy stick? Just stick a P,D and R on the gearbox as a button, the dynamic drive is there...

That said some of the most enjoyable cars around still have a stick and no flappy paddles at all. The foot parking brake is excellent had one on my old W211 E-Class much better than this electric crap that sort of half decides when it wants to work. I know you can override it frequently do, stops the brakes seizing on of its wet and cold. I probably need to buy an old car instead.
Old 04-24-2023, 09:36 AM
Out Of Control!!

Yes I can sort of see that its becoming less relevant, then again if that is the case why bother with a flimsy stick? Just stick a P,D and R on the gearbox as a button, the dynamic drive is there...

That said some of the most enjoyable cars around still have a stick and no flappy paddles at all. The foot parking brake is excellent had one on my old W211 E-Class much better than this electric crap that sort of half decides when it wants to work. I know you can override it frequently do, stops the brakes seizing on of its wet and cold. I probably need to buy an old car instead.
I mean in the case of the buttons instead of a gear shifter, I think Aston Martin and many manufacturers' electric offerings have it, as for petrol powered vehicles I can only think of Acura have the buttons in place of the gear shift and maybe Genesis?