AMG GT: GT, GTS, GTC, GTR, GT-4 door (C192 / R192) 2024 - present: The GT/GT S is the second generation GT sports car developed entirely in-house by Mercedes-AMG.

GT63 Test Drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2024, 12:43 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts
GT63 Test Drive

It appears there's no C192 forum, so I'll post here.

I'm in the search for a new GT type coupe and I've tested a few of late one being a new GT63 and my impressions are as follows:

Engine - a powerhaus with gobs of torque and uber smooth.
Performance - since this vehicle was brand new and not broken in it was treated with respect so only one full throttle run and from a ~30 mph roll, it was beyond strong.
Sounds - nice strong deep throaty exhaust, I don't know if it was enhanced but the windows were partially open
Trans - smooth quick decisive gear changes but my time spent was all in comfort and auto mode.
Handling - razor sharp even in comfort
Ride - once again in comfort quite good and very similar in feel to that of an M8, but this car had 21's vs the M8's 20's and that speaks volumes.
Brakes - great pedal feel and stopping power - no squeal
Exterior fit/finish - top notch
Interior fit/finish - good but some of the materials like the fake aluminum looking plastic around the door pulls/window switches and lower center console felt very cheap, a little loose/movable, and not befitting a vehicle of this stature/price point. The relatively unfinished rear cargo shelf could benefit from some leather as it looked cheap, so get the n/c seat option. BTW, I was told for MY 25 the SL loses its rear seats/or maybe as an optional delete.
Seats - super comfortable, they were the standard version with ventilation and massage (the massage was a limited type with just 2 massage points in the lower cushion). The ventilation was almost non-existent.
Looks - just as good looking in person as in the best pics, much nicer than the previous generation...they did a nice job in the design dept. although the 911's design was clearly copied in several areas especially the side view from the A-pillar back.

Conclusion: a great looking HP GT, but in 63 guise is overpriced by about $30,000.00 and the 55 by the same % imho. The M8 is a better buy, but the new GT has it all over it in the looks dept. Could it be a daily driver? Sure, if you live in an area with good roads, no reason for it not to be. I like the pano glass roof option especially on a contrasting light color and would like to see a CF roof option.

Hope this is helpful to any prospective buyers.

The following 3 users liked this post by RJC:
Drone_S213 (08-02-2024), MBNUT1 (08-02-2024), Omega4 (08-02-2024)
Old 08-02-2024, 09:06 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,678 Likes on 2,276 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by RJC
It appears there's no C192 forum, so I'll post here.

I'm in the search for a new GT type coupe and I've tested a few of late one being a new GT63 and my impressions are as follows:

Engine - a powerhaus with gobs of torque and uber smooth.
Performance - since this vehicle was brand new and not broken in it was treated with respect so only one full throttle run and from a ~30 mph roll, it was beyond strong.
Sounds - nice strong deep throaty exhaust, I don't know if it was enhanced but the windows were partially open
Trans - smooth quick decisive gear changes but my time spent was all in comfort and auto mode.
Handling - razor sharp even in comfort
Ride - once again in comfort quite good and very similar in feel to that of an M8, but this car had 21's vs the M8's 20's and that speaks volumes.
Brakes - great pedal feel and stopping power - no squeal
Exterior fit/finish - top notch
Interior fit/finish - good but some of the materials like the fake aluminum looking plastic around the door pulls/window switches and lower center console felt very cheap, a little loose/movable, and not befitting a vehicle of this stature/price point. The relatively unfinished rear cargo shelf could benefit from some leather as it looked cheap, so get the n/c seat option. BTW, I was told for MY 25 the SL loses its rear seats/or maybe as an optional delete.
Seats - super comfortable, they were the standard version with ventilation and massage (the massage was a limited type with just 2 massage points in the lower cushion). The ventilation was almost non-existent.
Looks - just as good looking in person as in the best pics, much nicer than the previous generation...they did a nice job in the design dept. although the 911's design was clearly copied in several areas especially the side view from the A-pillar back.

Conclusion: a great looking HP GT, but in 63 guise is overpriced by about $30,000.00 and the 55 by the same % imho. The M8 is a better buy, but the new GT has it all over it in the looks dept. Could it be a daily driver? Sure, if you live in an area with good roads, no reason for it not to be. I like the pano glass roof option especially on a contrasting light color and would like to see a CF roof option.

Hope this is helpful to any prospective buyers.
Lots of positives and good to hear, guess the price and the weight is the only negatives from what I read through your impressions.
Old 08-02-2024, 09:46 PM

Received 678 Likes on 360 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
It's important to mention the weight and the ability of the car to handle the twisties. I didn't see that. AMG wants buyers who are blinded by the huge engines with lots of HP, and AMG sticks them in every class. But there are still some people interested in a lithe, well handling car. The GT63 ain't it. It's a pig with a big engine and 4 wheels.
Old 08-03-2024, 12:55 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Lots of positives and good to hear, guess the price and the weight is the only negatives from what I read through your impressions.
Plasticky interior trim was really low-rent, and I forgot to add no leather airbag cover and looks like crap. If BMW can put it on much lesser vehicles why can't MB? WTF?
No issues with the weight.
Old 08-03-2024, 12:57 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MalibuScott
It's important to mention the weight and the ability of the car to handle the twisties. I didn't see that. AMG wants buyers who are blinded by the huge engines with lots of HP, and AMG sticks them in every class. But there are still some people interested in a lithe, well handling car. The GT63 ain't it. It's a pig with a big engine and 4 wheels.
Car handled great in even comfort, it is no pig - not even close. The only piggy part is the price.

Last edited by RJC; 08-03-2024 at 12:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MalibuScott (08-03-2024)
Old 08-03-2024, 08:53 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by RJC
Plasticky interior trim was really low-rent, and I forgot to add no leather airbag cover and looks like crap. If BMW can put it on much lesser vehicles why can't MB? WTF?
I wonder how it handles on the track given the weight though.
Old 08-03-2024, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,309 Likes on 2,052 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by RJC
The cheap AMG airbag covers have been a source of frustration for as long as I can remember and Mercedes has Nappa leather covers on many of their cheaper non-AMG models.
Notable exception has been the S63. We ended up getting a S-class one for the GTC.

At least Mercedes has different steering wheel options, something that was likewise absent with BMW’s, even with their add-on M performance parts.
Old 08-03-2024, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
I wonder how it handles on the track given the weight though.
Sport Auto ran the car at the L’Anneau du Rhin track in France at 1.18,8 compared to a 992 Turbo coupe at 1.17,8, which is the lap record for production vehicles there.

Still a porker but they have done a decent job on the suspension. This was on Michelin PS 5’s but listening to the sound, the tires were tortured.

Still a great performance but I think most here would have wanted an evolutionary design that built on AMG’s only true track weapon and 911 competitor. It just could have been so much more…

Old 08-03-2024, 10:21 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Wolfman
Sport Auto ran the car at the L’Anneau du Rhin track in France at 1.18,8 compared to a 992 Turbo coupe at 1.17,8, which is the lap record for production vehicles there.

Still a porker but they have done a decent job on the suspension. This was on Michelin PS 5’s but listening to the sound, the tires were tortured.

Still a great performance but I think most here would have wanted an evolutionary design that built on AMG’s only true track weapon and 911 competitor. It just could have been so much more…

https://youtu.be/WzEVB4DCZZc
Thanks for the link, this was posted as well
Old 08-03-2024, 07:06 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

The cheap AMG airbag covers have been a source of frustration for as long as I can remember and Mercedes has Nappa leather covers on many of their cheaper non-AMG models.
Notable exception has been the S63. We ended up getting a S-class one for the GTC.

At least Mercedes has different steering wheel options, something that was likewise absent with BMW’s, even with their add-on M performance parts.
Is it snap off/on, or much more involved since the AB is behind it?

Agree, and BMW puts D -Shaped sport steering wheels on their M-Sport 7, and not on our M850's/M's8...can't understand the logic of this.
Old 08-03-2024, 07:08 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

https://youtu.be/WzEVB4DCZZc
It's still plenty quick, and sure is purdy though
Old 08-04-2024, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RJC
Is it snap off/on, or much more involved since the AB is behind it?

Agree, and BMW puts D -Shaped sport steering wheels on their M-Sport 7, and not on our M850's/M's8...can't understand the logic of this.
While you can buy just a custom cover I have been concerned about how safely it would deploy as the leather needs to rip in a certain place. It was easier just to buy an OEM airbag with the nappa leather cover on it. You can always pull the AB when selling/returning the car and then sell it.

Last edited by Wolfman; 08-04-2024 at 10:53 AM.
RJC (08-04-2024)
Old 08-04-2024, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RJC
It's still plenty quick, and sure is purdy though
Sure is but they could have worked a bit harder. They had no problem bumping up the price
Orcbolg (08-04-2024)
Old 08-04-2024, 10:46 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sure is but they could have worked a bit harder. They had no problem bumping up the price
Indeed they did