AMG GT: GT, GTS, GTC, GTR, GT-4door (C190 / R190) 2015 - present: The GT/GT S is the second sports car developed entirely in-house by Mercedes-AMG.

GT/C190/R190: Wireless CarPlay Android auto on Mercedes Benz AMG GT GTC GTS GTR 2016-2019

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2024, 05:13 AM
SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wireless CarPlay Android auto on Mercedes Benz AMG GT GTC GTS GTR 2016-2019

https://www.carputech.com/products/m...id-auto-module
Convert your current AMG GT into the most modern version with the Apple CarPlay Module by unlocking:
• Apple Carplay
• Android Auto
• iOS Airplay
• Mirroring-Link
• USB Flash Play
You are not giving one up for the other! You can easily switch between your original operating system and the new AMG GT Apple Carplay system.
You can get extra $50 OFF with our coupon code"
MBWORLD".

Last edited by carputech; 03-27-2024 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-27-2024, 09:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 AMG GTR
I just ordered the kit for the 2018 AMG GTR from carlinklife.com. In the chat ask for the MBWorld discount. $266.99 Shipped to the US, not a bad deal with a money back guarantee.
Old 09-10-2024, 10:59 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
GLE 53 w167
Originally Posted by GT3vsGTR
I just ordered the kit for the 2018 AMG GTR from carlinklife.com. In the chat ask for the MBWorld discount. $266.99 Shipped to the US, not a bad deal with a money back guarantee.
Did it work as expected, not only the Apple Car Play on the MB screen, but also the audio in good quality both music and phone calls?
Where there any issues during the installation?

Thanks
Kai
Old 09-10-2024, 10:06 PM

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
AMG GTR
Originally Posted by qcskaeb
Did it work as expected, not only the Apple Car Play on the MB screen, but also the audio in good quality both music and phone calls?
Where there any issues during the installation?

Thanks
Kai
It worked and continues to work well on my 2018 AMG GTR. No issues with installation nor performance. I have the Burmester high end system and it sounds amazing when streaming. I would recommend it.
The following users liked this post:
qcskaeb (09-11-2024)
Old 09-11-2024, 07:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG GTS
Originally Posted by Green_Hell
It worked and continues to work well on my 2018 AMG GTR. No issues with installation nor performance. I have the Burmester high end system and it sounds amazing when streaming. I would recommend it.
so, for the avoidance of doubt: you were able to fit their tech/box under the stock head unit as they showed in the install video? i had read elsewhere there may be issues in being able to get it fitted in the dash and still reassemble without problems.

a few other questions, if you please:

1) how do you switch between COMAND system and the CarPlay interface? it describes a "one-key switch" between the two.
2) can you answer phone calls from the CarPlay UI?
3) no issues with backup camera? does it still allow for use of the guide overlays and other details like OEM?

thanks, in advance, for your feedback on this - i am really excited about the potential of keeping the OEM tech but upgrading to this for CarPlay. stability/consistency in use has always been the criticism of other options.
Old 09-11-2024, 09:49 AM

AMG GTR
Originally Posted by the314boss
so, for the avoidance of doubt: you were able to fit their tech/box under the stock head unit as they showed in the install video? i had read elsewhere there may be issues in being able to get it fitted in the dash and still reassemble without problems.

a few other questions, if you please:

1) how do you switch between COMAND system and the CarPlay interface? it describes a "one-key switch" between the two.
2) can you answer phone calls from the CarPlay UI?
3) no issues with backup camera? does it still allow for use of the guide overlays and other details like OEM?

thanks, in advance, for your feedback on this - i am really excited about the potential of keeping the OEM tech but upgrading to this for CarPlay. stability/consistency in use has always been the criticism of other options.
Insightful questions, so I will do my best to respond to each:
- The additional "box" unit for Carplay is installed under the center dash behind and below the cupholder area. There is a factory installed (and rather large) black molded styrofoam that I removed and cut up to make room for the unit and to ensure it stayed in place after the installation. Not difficult but take your time on this. No rattles or any lasting evidence of installation or removal of the styrofoam.
- I switch between modes by pressing the "return" button next and to the left of the large round comand dial for about a second. Has worked every time. You can use and listen to the radio from the command system and display carplay. The systems do not interfere with each other in my experience.
- You can answer calls from the Carplay UI. You can also answer text message with voice.
- When the car is shifted into reverse the full function of the reverse camera (with all of its lines and mirror dips) takes over and it does not matter if you were in carplay or comand. After shifting out of reverse, the system goes back to its prior state.

Hope this helps and I am happy to help out where I can. If you are in or near central NC, you are welcome to come over and we can knock this installation out in my garage!

I have added Carplay to some other cars I have of similar era (GT3, RAM3500). The only thing I miss is the touchscreen functionality. Other than that, it is
The following 2 users liked this post by Green_Hell:
qcskaeb (09-11-2024), the314boss (09-13-2024)
Old 09-13-2024, 07:07 PM

AMG GTS
- The additional "box" unit for Carplay is installed under the center dash behind and below the cupholder area. There is a factory installed (and rather large) black molded styrofoam that I removed and cut up to make room for the unit and to ensure it stayed in place after the installation. Not difficult but take your time on this. No rattles or any lasting evidence of installation or removal of the styrofoam.
- I switch between modes by pressing the "return" button next and to the left of the large round comand dial for about a second. Has worked every time. You can use and listen to the radio from the command system and display carplay. The systems do not interfere with each other in my experience.
- You can answer calls from the Carplay UI. You can also answer text message with voice.
- When the car is shifted into reverse the full function of the reverse camera (with all of its lines and mirror dips) takes over and it does not matter if you were in carplay or comand. After shifting out of reverse, the system goes back to its prior state.

Hope this helps and I am happy to help out where I can. If you are in or near central NC, you are welcome to come over and we can knock this installation out in my garage!

I have added Carplay to some other cars I have of similar era (GT3, RAM3500). The only thing I miss is the touchscreen functionality. Other than that, it is
first, i want to say: WOW - thank you for such a thoughtful and detailed response; and also, clearly, for your generous offer to help me with the install! i am in STL, MO, so it might be a bit of drive for the assist. ;-)

that said, you have convinced me this is the right kit for my car and i am excited to tackle it! funnily enough: i just got confirmation it (my new-to-me 2017 GTS) will be delivered either sunday or monday - so this will be one of the first things i tackle, after a thorough first voyage down some of the windy roads outside the city.
Old 09-13-2024, 07:13 PM

AMG GTS

one more follow-on question after reading your initial reply again: when you say "the only thing i miss is the touchscreen functionality," what do you mean exactly? i am new to this car and this upgrade solution, so i want to make sure i am clear on pros/cons.

thanks again!
Old 09-14-2024, 06:21 PM

AMG GTR
Originally Posted by the314boss
one more follow-on question after reading your initial reply again: when you say "the only thing i miss is the touchscreen functionality," what do you mean exactly? i am new to this car and this upgrade solution, so i want to make sure i am clear on pros/cons.

thanks again!
I never had touchscreen on the GTR, I meant to say I wish I had touch screen functionality. Nothing is lost.
Old 09-23-2024, 09:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 AMG GTS
I keep seeing these ads for a device you just plug into the USB port and it automatically installs CarPlay. Is that not compatible with this car?
Old 09-23-2024, 12:40 PM

AMG GTS
Originally Posted by flyrchris
I keep seeing these ads for a device you just plug into the USB port and it automatically installs CarPlay. Is that not compatible with this car?
hmmm; can you send a reference to one of these ads - i'd like to see that!
Old 09-23-2024, 01:46 PM

2017 AMG GTS
https://wirelesscarplaytech.com/
Old 09-23-2024, 02:39 PM

AMG GTR
Originally Posted by flyrchris
I would like to believe this works but I do not see a USB dongle working to control the screen, inputs, touch controls, etc. I could be wrong but this seems unlikely. If you buy it and try it, let us know.
Old 09-23-2024, 04:29 PM

2017 AMG GTS
Looking deeper I think it takes your already installed WIRED Car Play and makes it a WIRELESS CarPlay system. Since my AMG doesn't have even the wired version I do not think this will be of any use.

Old 09-23-2024, 06:37 PM

AMG GTS
I would like to believe this works but I do not see a USB dongle working to control the screen, inputs, touch controls, etc. I could be wrong but this seems unlikely. If you buy it and try it, let us know.
i went with the Carputech package you recommended; looking forward to getting it installed after it arrives!
The following users liked this post:
Green_Hell (09-24-2024)