Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My GTR Is Broken Again... Now I'm Really Mad...

Old 05-23-2018, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 864 Likes on 450 Posts
2020 Huracan EVO AWD - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe - 2023 C63 S Coupe -
My GTR Is Broken Again... Now I'm Really Mad...

For those of you that don't know, this happened to me two weeks after I got the car - a doozy of a story here.

GTR Broke Down and Wouldn't Start and Couldn't be Towed......
https://mbworld.org/forums/amg-gt/69...n-t-towed.html

Don't know why that copied in giant text but I don't care. So on a drive home tonight the steering all of a sudden got stiff. I mean it took some real effort to make a turn. Feels like power steering pump went out. All temps normal and no codes, no leaks, nothing under the car, didn't hit anything and so on. Drove home just now, turned it off and restarted and the same thing. Feels like an old school GM car when the power steering belt broke. You have to be Hercules to turn the damn thing. I'll be blowing up the dealer's phone first thing in the AM. I'll update as soon as I hear anything. Going to research it now. Chime in if you know anything. I would suspect it would be an AMG GT all variants type of thing anyways. I'm really bent about this. Especially what happened to the car two weeks after I got it. Another thing, I shut the door last week (normally) and heard a weird sound as I turned to walk away, I saw the frickin mirror glass popped out and was hanging by some wires. Luckily, the dealer is five minutes from my house. So I drove over with my hand out the window holding it in place. The shop foreman checked it and said the clips/attachments looked fine and popped back into place in the service drive and I tipped him $20. Now I'm paranoid, when I shut my door that I do it gently in fear of it may happen again. Rant over - Xanax time and off to sleep.

Last edited by benzbell; 05-23-2018 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Text
Old 05-23-2018, 08:28 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Ml63
Originally Posted by benzbell
For those of you that don't know, this happened to me two weeks after I got the car - a doozy of a story here.

GTR Broke Down and Wouldn't Start and Couldn't be Towed......
https://mbworld.org/forums/amg-gt/69...n-t-towed.html

Don't know why that copied in giant text but I don't care. So on a drive home tonight the steering all of a sudden got stiff. I mean it took some real effort to make a turn. Feels like power steering pump went out. All temps normal and no codes, no leaks, nothing under the car, didn't hit anything and so on. Drove home just now, turned it off and restarted and the same thing. Feels like an old school GM car when the power steering belt broke. You have to be Hercules to turn the damn thing. I'll be blowing up the dealer's phone first thing in the AM. I'll update as soon as I hear anything. Going to research it now. Chime in if you know anything. I would suspect it would be an AMG GT all variants type of thing anyways. I'm really bent about this. Especially what happened to the car two weeks after I got it. Another thing, I shut the door last week (normally) and heard a weird sound as I turned to walk away, I saw the frickin mirror glass popped out and was hanging by some wires. Luckily, the dealer is five minutes from my house. So I drove over with my hand out the window holding it in place. The shop foreman checked it and said the clips/attachments looked fine and popped back into place in the service drive and I tipped him $20. Now I'm paranoid, when I shut my door that I do it gently in fear of it may happen again. Rant over - Xanax time and off to sleep.
The best or nothing lol! Unfortunately this the direction of AMG. First they dilute the he!! out of the brand, quality of the builds and products they used has gone down hill. Dealerships can't fix the cars. People wait months for parts and sometimes there are no parts available at all, but people keep buying so why change anything.

Good luck!

Rant over lol.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Quick update. Dropped off at the Dealer just now. They are fantastic by the way. Took the car in, Shop Foreman came out (whom I know pretty well) we discussed and he took it back to get started on it. On the way over this morning, I also noticed A/C doesn't work - not blowing out cold. I also had to pull the e-brake release to go forward instead of it happening automatically when you give the car gas. Really weird. We'll see what it is.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:11 AM

Received 660 Likes on 347 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
Are you in California? If so, the Lemon Law will help you out.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:15 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
C63
Breaking down sucks. I know. I had three different cars in the shop last week.

They may be diluting the brand, but when you buy the absolute lowest volume AMG there is, I would expect some quality issues. I've seen more Porsche GT3 RS' running around than AMG GTR's. Enjoy the exclusivity!

I bet the AMG 43's have fewer quality issues than the GT series.

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but I'd never expect a pain free experience from a $200k sports car, unless it was Japanese. I don't think brand dilution has much to do with this. Didn't the entirely AMG built SLS have a transmission that couldn't last 20k miles? The 2008 C63's shook their headbolts out by 75,000 miles. 911 GT3's catch fire. Boxster's and 911's have IMS issues. Even mass produced Corvette's break down just looking at anything but city traffic.

My GTs has seen quite a few warranty repairs, but its not like it is my daily driver or Mercedes isn't fixing it up. My bigger beef isn't with Mercedes, it is AAA. They've taken over three hours to pick me up twice now. I now have the number of a local tow company specializing in sports cars.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 CLS63
Those z bars can make you angry
Old 05-23-2018, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 337 Likes on 192 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
Quick update. Dropped off at the Dealer just now. They are fantastic by the way. Took the car in, Shop Foreman came out (whom I know pretty well) we discussed and he took it back to get started on it. On the way over this morning, I also noticed A/C doesn't work - not blowing out cold. I also had to pull the e-brake release to go forward instead of it happening automatically when you give the car gas. Really weird. We'll see what it is.
Almost sounds electrical. Power not getting somewhere. Couldn't be something as simple as a fuse I guess...but does sound electrical. Wonderful to have a great dealer close by.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by California John
Almost sounds electrical. Power not getting somewhere. Couldn't be something as simple as a fuse I guess...but does sound electrical. Wonderful to have a great dealer close by.
It's weird because the steering is hydraulic. But who knows. Hoping to hear something in the next couple hours at least.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 528 Posts
R Nine T
It's weird because the steering is hydraulic. But who knows. Hoping to hear something in the next couple hours at least.
hydraulic pump is electric. A say a busted relay or voltage regulator.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Verdict is in - this is crazy. Been a ton of road construction around where I live for the past several months. I drive real careful because if it. All the streets in my neighborhood were redone with "Slurry Seal". After this crap dries, it has little bits and pieces of pea gravel for months. I always hear it hitting the wheel wells and drive real slow over it. Apparently, once the tech dropped the front cover, cups of this crap poured out all over the shop floor. Evidently, some of it got slung up around the crankshaft and actually wedged into the pulley and caused the front/outermost belt to shred as you can see in the pics. I never heard any belt noise or slapping around. He said it was just kind of hanging there is why. So that explains no A/C and power steering because that's what it drives.They will overnight one from the east coast and if I'm lucky. I can have the car on Saturday. If not, it will be after Memorial Day Weekend. This damn construction already cost me $1,200 in replacing the rear tires from a screw. Guess I could take that invoice to the city for reimbursement. Haha - yeah right.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
A little string of bad luck looks like. It will pass away and you will soon enjoy care free miles in your beast
The following users liked this post:
ronin amg (05-26-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 02:50 PM

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
2018 AMG GTS, 2015 911 GT3, 2017 E300, 2014 X3 35i
Wow you've had a run of unfortunate luck with your whip. Like others say, hope it doesn't detract from your ownership experience. I've had a painfree experience in my first year of ownership and enjoy my daily driven GTS very much. I understand what you're saying about construction as I had 3 torque screws in my X3's rear runflat tire all at once with construction ongoing at my beach club. Fortunately, the construction is coming to a conclusion after almost 9 months.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Sounds like a lot of drama over virtually nothing. Glad there is an easy solution and its not AMG going downhill as some keep on suggesting
The following 2 users liked this post by Wolfman:
Jan AMG (06-29-2019), susman@eurogermantown.com (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Received 795 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
And people were so quick to blame Benz LOL--- but I can see why.

Im glad it was resolved fast and its really nothing to do with the car.
The following 3 users liked this post by Vic55:
ronin amg (05-26-2018), susman@eurogermantown.com (05-23-2018), thebishman (05-28-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 04:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
190E 2.5-16v
That fully explains it. Don't worry, it could happen to anyone.

Theoretically the belt costs a few ten's of $, but unfortunately the work hours related to the M178 engine is higher than the usual belt change.

In order to take it out, you need to unscrew the twin pump assembly to pass through the new belt. Plus take off the 2 aluminum pipes off the block, and replace the leaked fluids at the end.

Excuse the big file, but you can clearly see the 2 hole fittings (right of the crankshaft pulley) and the pump mounting assembly, on the lower right of the engine.

Hope you get it back in time and enjoy the sunny weekend.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:24 PM

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts
AMG GTR
Bro important !!! 2 things one, my car electronics shut off completely, traction control went off completely including most of the other electronic problems. Every sensor including my distronic was also turned off. Waited 5 minutes re-booted the car and everything went back to normal. Very weird indeed.

Secondly and most importantly i was washing my car, and noticed that a few rocks hit the inter cooler without going through. Also, when I bent down to clean the under part of the vents (front) i noticed an accumulation of road rocks inside underneath the inter cooler just sitting there and hard to clean.

Maybe thats related to your problem?

They should seriously consider recalling these vehicles and put some appropriate guard so that this does not happen.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Belt drive it is. Thought he would have heard it flapping around and see the shreads.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Another missing front bumper mesh guard problem.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (05-28-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 10:55 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
2016 AMG GT-S Edition 1
Originally Posted by Jan AMG
Another missing front bumper mesh guard problem.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:42 AM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
G63 & 991.2 GT3 & AMG GT
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Sounds like a lot of drama over virtually nothing. Glad there is an easy solution and its not AMG going downhill as some keep on suggesting
Originally Posted by Vic55
And people were so quick to blame Benz LOL--- but I can see why.

Im glad it was resolved fast and its really nothing to do with the car.

Can the naysayers still blame brand dilution ????
Old 05-24-2018, 05:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 300blackout
Beautiful.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:10 AM

Ml63
[QUOTE=Wolfman;7461012]Sounds like a lot of drama over virtually nothing. Glad there is an easy solution and its not AMG going downhill as some keep on suggesting

Last edited by Td33; 05-25-2018 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:12 AM

Ml63
Originally Posted by Wolfman
lol it's in the toilet. Take the blinders off. Let’s see what is the HIGHEST recalled car in America? Answer— the C class.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:28 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Yugo Zastava
I stayed away from AMGs for years, always enjoyed their power plants but their handling, steering feel, and slower transmissions left a lot to be desired. But with 2016 + gen cars they really have moved ahead of the crowd, leaped ahead actually. I don’t think they’ve diluted anything, on the contrary and IMHO they strengthened their brand more than anyone else has on a relative step up. Their latest cars are just exceptional, superb. And that E63s Wagon, oh my lord, it’s so good. Between the GTS and the wagon you scratch almost every itch (and keep a couple of three pedal classics around too) ...

In my book AMG has re-invented themselves in ways very few companies ever have. They deserve all the business they can get (can’t speak to the dealer network etc as I have no experience with that, I’m talking strictly product here)
The following 2 users liked this post by speefspeed:
California John (05-25-2018), thebishman (05-28-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R Nine T
Originally Posted by Td33

lol it's in the toilet. Take the blinders off. Let’s see what is the HIGHEST recalled car in America? Answer— the C class.
Your just be a ball of joy TD.

I know you don’t own an AMG. Have you even driven a GT or GTR?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My GTR Is Broken Again... Now I'm Really Mad...