Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Do you guys really like bose?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C240 Stock(so far)
Do you guys really like bose?

do u guys like the sound of bose? or ur just in it for factory spec? or simplicty?
Old 07-06-2006, 12:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
.... nothing to brag about, it is a previous model....
check discussion.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w210/154115-once-all-before-you-getting-your-new-hu-your-bose.html

And yes, I do like the MB Bose system (minus) Stock Head Unit.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:08 AM
Banned

Wow, I love the Bose system. I have it in my SL, and it is so great, especially when you add the Ipod and you use the equalizer to change the settings. I love the bass booster setting, people always think I added a new system, they can't believe it is stock.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:11 PM

The original Bose systems in W126 and then in W140 are stand-out fantastic sound sytems. Other models are very good to fantastic.

Unless you want to enter a sound pressure level competition or rattle windows when you drive by, there is no reason to consider swapping them out.

Also IMHO, the Bose sound versus "pure audiophile" sound argument is not an issue for mobile applications.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:57 PM

CLS-500, SL-500, BOXSTER-S
Yes I like the Bose, although I am not an audiophile. While shopping for cars I could not tell any difference between premium MB, BMW or Lexus sound systems.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm not an audiophile, but I can tell a difference from my old 1994 LS400's Nakamichi system versus moms 2005 LS430 Mark Levinson versus dads 2003 SL500 Bose system as well as a lot of other cars.

The Bose is great if you listen to talk radio like my dad all day. Once you start listening to stuff which is a bit quicker, forget about it.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:25 PM

2006 E350
No, I am not a Bose fan... I really dont understand what folks see in their stuff... Sorry...

Mr Papa
Old 07-07-2006, 08:36 AM

This issue is a bit of a moot point in the new MB world right now. Aside from Maybach and I believe SLR, are any other current MB models still equipped with Bose?

Anyway, Bose pioneered true sound systems for OEM automotive use starting in the mid '80's. Within a few months, all car companies started marketing even basic radios as "sound systems", without even making a change to their hardware!

Looking back now, we can at least thank Bose for the ability to check off an option box on almost any car that will provide some sort of upgraded sound quality. If you want even more, the aftermarket is still willing to help.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MagicO309D
This issue is a bit of a moot point in the new MB world right now. Aside from Maybach and I believe SLR, are any other current MB models still equipped with Bose?

Anyway, Bose pioneered true sound systems for OEM automotive use starting in the mid '80's. Within a few months, all car companies started marketing even basic radios as "sound systems", without even making a change to their hardware!

Looking back now, we can at least thank Bose for the ability to check off an option box on almost any car that will provide some sort of upgraded sound quality. If you want even more, the aftermarket is still willing to help.
Well put!
Old 07-07-2006, 11:08 PM

CLS-500, SL-500, BOXSTER-S
Originally Posted by MagicO309D
Aside from Maybach and I believe SLR, are any other current MB models still equipped with Bose?
My 06 CLS came w/ it.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
I like the Bose system in my '05 S500 - however, I miss the ability to adjust the midrange, and the single large subwoofer is not as "tight" as the two smaller subs I had in the Bose installation in an Audi A6.

One other thing to remember about "Bose" car audio systems is that frequently the systems are not all-Bose. Some are - but some are not. Bose may simply provide the optimization of the system, which is built by the manufacturer (my Audi had a system labeled "Audi/Bose" - parts were Bose, but not all of the system). As a result you can have a lot of variance in a car audio system that has the Bose label - but not all of the deficiencies can be attributed to Bose.

My Infiniti Q45 of some years ago had Bose speakers, each with an independent Bose amp - but the head unit was not Bose. It had Bose equalization to optimize the sound for the car. I wound up adding tweeters in the forward part of the side windows, because it sounded "dead." Apparently Infiniti agreed, because the following year it added tweeters in the "A" pillar near where I had placed mine.

Of course I was told I couldn't do this - but I simply used an appropriate band pass filter for the tweeters, and it worked out fine.

I would like to get a tighter bass in the S500 - not louder, not boomier - just tighter. But the sound isn't bothersome enough to warrant a priority right now. Overall, it's very good but could be better.

Last edited by Skylaw; 07-08-2006 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
2018 E43 | 2017 GLS450 | 2004 CLK 500
I've always had high end aftermarket systems, and as I purchased better cars I tried my best to get used to Bose. But as much as I try, the Bose systems just sound bad - harsh, muffled and missing music information. I've replaced them in my Acuras and now I am thinking about replacing the Bose in my CLK. Keep in mind, my aftermarket systems have never been built to be loud - my biggest amp was an old school Soundstream MC 140 (which I still use to this day) putting out 35watts/4 channels. But it's clean and detailed.

It's fine to compare oem systems to one another, but IMHO oem systems will never match a well designed quality aftermarket system.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:55 AM
Almost a Member!

Bose is all about marketing. That's the thing they are good at.
While I was an audio engineer for a major japanese electronics company, we tested Bose products. If you have Bose, your missing out on ALOT of audio information. Wether that is in a vehicle or in your home theater or wherever.
There are big gaps in the frequency response and the high end is usually clipped real low. It does depend on what you listen to as to how much your going to miss though.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Bose = Mediocre sound quality, no mid-range, "All highs all lows, is Bose"

Audiophile's alike have opted to upgrade to a better system with more features.

Originally Posted by RunninRS
Bose is all about marketing. That's the thing they are good at.
While I was an audio engineer for a major japanese electronics company, we tested Bose products. If you have Bose, your missing out on ALOT of audio information. Wether that is in a vehicle or in your home theater or wherever.
There are big gaps in the frequency response and the high end is usually clipped real low. It does depend on what you listen to as to how much your going to miss though.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:55 PM

97 SL320 Sport, Black. 2003 Denali XL, 2002 Gmc PU, 84 Mustang race car.
I just took out the fancy Alpine in my wifes 97 SL320 and replaced it with a stock radio and her comment was "that radio sure looks better". The stocker sounds far better than the aftermarket did because it now uses all the speakers and factory subwoofer, I can now listen on the freeway with the top down and the radio is far easier to use because of the large preset buttons and volume knob. I put the Alpine on eBay and already have a bidding war going!

Dan
Old 07-14-2006, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Women = Non-Audiophiles..

Sorry but most women would care less if you put a 50 year old radio in a car and called it shinny and new. Fancy Alpine? How old was the Fancy alpine. I look at all of the factory radios that I've had in all of the MB's I've owned, and while they look better than US based auto setups, they are still lacking functionality, appearance and quality for the dollar. Some of these new radios out there are such high resolution and quality that for the price of the factory, if I could, I would opt to not have any radio installed at time of dealer delivery. Again, Audiophile who appreciates sound quality as well as asthetics.

Originally Posted by DANSMB
I just took out the fancy Alpine in my wifes 97 SL320 and replaced it with a stock radio and her comment was "that radio sure looks better". The stocker sounds far better than the aftermarket did because it now uses all the speakers and factory subwoofer, I can now listen on the freeway with the top down and the radio is far easier to use because of the large preset buttons and volume knob. I put the Alpine on eBay and already have a bidding war going!

Dan
Old 07-14-2006, 11:47 AM

97 SL320 Sport, Black. 2003 Denali XL, 2002 Gmc PU, 84 Mustang race car.
The Alpine I pulled was a CDA-7949, must be popular as I have 22 bids on eBay and the last one sold for $350. For our use it was a joke, we are 50 years old and neither one of us could read all the little buttons while driving, and besides it looked like something out of Star Wars. We are very happy with the stocker as we can operate it without taking taking our eyes off the road. Some youngster will be very happy with it. I offered to put in my 17 year old daughters car but she said it was too complicated to operate and neither of us have time to memorize the manual.

I see few people on this forum fill out their profile, should I be hiding my personal info also?

Dan

Last edited by DANSMB; 07-14-2006 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:52 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 E350 4Matic Wagon
Originally Posted by ldangeli
Bose = Mediocre sound quality, no mid-range, "All highs all lows, is Bose"
Funny, I've read other posters say "No highs, no lows, must be Bose." I agree with the latter, but it was the fault of the Becker radio in my 2002 W210. When I yanked that out and replaced it with two aftermarket headunits, the Bose amp and speakers sound much better.

I'm no audiophile, but I see no point in replacing all the speakers and the amp with aftermarket stuff. Seems to me the Bose amp/speaker setup is "tuned" for the car. That's how Bose works, right?
Old 07-15-2006, 01:18 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 Nissan Altima 2.5SL 2006 Audi A6 2008 BMW 535xi
I have a Bose sound system in my Altima, and I love it. I'm not a huge audiophile, but it sounds fine for me.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203, W211, W219, W212
Originally Posted by FireFox31
Funny, I've read other posters say "No highs, no lows, must be Bose." I agree with the latter..
Same here. No highs, no lows, must be Bose. I can't believe how inferior my stock Bose sound quality is, compared to stock Harman/Kardon in the newer MBs. Even Lexus has a better version of Harman, which is Mark Levinson.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:01 PM

2005 SL500 BLK/Charcoal Sport, Porsche 2013 Turbo Cayenne
Figured I would jump in. I just picked up a 2005 SL500 a few weeks ago and I am extremely disappointed with the sound of the Bose system. I am surprised that a 100K car comes with such a blah sounding set up. And it doesn't even let you fade front to rear, just balance. If anyone knows a way to hook up an equalizer please let me know. That might help a little. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:11 PM

6-speed 2010 C300 Sport P2, Multimedia+ Command+, Advanced Agility Control Panorama White on black
What ever happened to Lexus' Nakamichi system??? My colleague had one in his GS and IS and MAN were they excellent - even if they arent Bose, H/k or B&O's ^^
Old 04-06-2010, 03:58 PM

2013 FIAT Abarth 500
Bose is decent at best, imo. For an audiophile it sucks but for the main make-up of the MB population I would say it's a sufficient sound system.