Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

euro COMAND on W203 - no nav?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C320 4matic + 2005 ML500
euro COMAND on W203 - no nav?

Hello,

I'm trying to add the DVD navigation system on my '05 C320 4matic. I did a lot of research, and contacted Steve (MBenzNL)'s shop. But I got a reply saying that euro COMAND unit for W203 won't take US map DVD, thus could not be used for navigation. I'm greatly confused here, because Steve's shop seems to have a good reputation and that information must be true, but I don't find the same (such important!) information mentioned anywhere else. I even see an Ebay item for the unit sold in California. (I asked the seller if it takes US map DVD, and waiting for an answer)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

I suspect that there are two different versions of euro COMAND for W203, or what? Did anyone installed it and using it with US map successfully?
Old 07-25-2006, 02:43 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Nothing MB related (sorry)
We (Steve and his MBenzNL team) offered / installed a couple of Euro DVD comands for the 2005+ W203s (and even one for the 2005+ W209) in the past. We used to have modified nav.discs that would work in these units... but they only worked for a short while.

So we tried modifying some of the newer versions of NA nav.DVDs - but those didn't work at all. So in short: the Euro DVD comand for the 2005+ W203 will only be a fancy radio unit if you insist on keeping it in your car. You can always hook up a TV tuner to it - but this still doesn't give you the nav.feature.

BTW, this has been mentioned on the boards a few times as well...

greetingz,

BigSis
Old 07-28-2006, 05:01 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
We did have euro comands with navigation software compatible for teh US but as the navigation software updates frequently and the navigation software protocolls change equally frequently, we have not been able to create US compatible discs for the euro comands with some of the updated US discs which made us decide no to offer euro comands for the US anylonger.

Ask any of the US ebay sellers wether their euro comand will work with US discs and they will most probably say YES...however - do not believe that!

greetingz,
Old 07-28-2006, 08:37 AM

Why not just retrofit US COMAND instead? Also, can US COMAND part numbers be purchased through European dealers so one can avoid several levels of additional mark-ups?
Old 07-28-2006, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
US comands are a rare breed. Have you priced a comand at a euro dealership? Still very expensive.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by MagicO309D
Why not just retrofit US COMAND instead? Also, can US COMAND part numbers be purchased through European dealers so one can avoid several levels of additional mark-ups?
As I understand, you cannot retrofit pre-2005 COMAND on 2005+ W203 because they use completely different wiring system; the former uses DB2 and the latter uses MOST.

Ok, so I sent email twice to the ebay seller, and had no response. Now I have three options.

1) Wait forever until someone finds a way to buy US COMAND. Most likely pricy (~$2500?)?

2) Use euro COMAND with old US map DVD which works with euro COMAND, if such DVD is still available. This could be a short term solution if roads and POIs updates a lot. But you could bet on a chance someone finds a way to mod latest US DVDs for euro COMAND. At least I'll try hard.. This solution is available now for ~$1200.

3) Give up COMAND, and go for external navs like Garmin and TomTom. I just went to CircuitCity and confirmed that Germin Nuvi 350's suction cup is small enough to be attached on the existing audio display (I live in California, so I can't attach anything on the windshield, and I don't wanna glue anything on the dash). I usually play iPod when driving, so it doesn't matter much if it blocks the display. Cost of this solution is $600 ~ $700.

Just thinking loud.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:40 AM

I was also going to suggest using Teleaid for navigation assistance but every time I do it usually leads to a flurry of sarcastic posts.

Anyway, I'm going to see if I can get a radio/COMAND application chart and if I can, I'll post it.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:01 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by MagicO309D
Also, can US COMAND part numbers be purchased through European dealers so one can avoid several levels of additional mark-ups?
The comands as they are used in the updated US 203s are MCS IIs...not COMANDs...these are manufactured by alpine SPECIFICALLY for the US market and are NOT manufactured anywhere in europe.
1) US MCS IIs are NOT available through european dealerships...I know how long it took to get 35 US MCS IIs through DC Germany...
2) ordering an MCS II in europe will result in having to pay import taxes from the US to europe AND europe to the US

Originally Posted by gens
1) Wait forever until someone finds a way to buy US COMAND. Most likely pricy (~$2500?)?

2) Use euro COMAND with old US map DVD which works with euro COMAND

3) Give up COMAND, and go for external navs like Garmin and TomTom.
1) no need to wait forever...somebody actually just about has 35 units in stock...and yes - that solution will be ~$2500
2) not possible
3) no comment

greetingz,
Old 07-29-2006, 07:34 PM

> 1) no need to wait forever...somebody actually just about has 35 units in stock...and yes - that solution will be ~$2500

That's a good news. When is your next visit to SF bay area?

BTW, I went to my dealership and asked if they sell just the nav unit by itself as a parts. They were very reluctant at the beginning, but after a polite negotiation, they finally told me that they would if I knew what I was doing and take full responsibility of possible accidents during self-installation. But I couldn't get the quote because I didn't have the exact parts number. ;(
I'll call them again if I could find it out.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:57 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

I don't have any part numbers myself, but your dealership should be able to find them in their EPC!!

Anyways, Steve's next US trip will be within a few weeks. If interested, send us an email.

greetingz,

BigSis
Old 09-30-2006, 03:25 PM

'05 White W203
When is steve coming up to Canada? To the Toronto area?
Old 09-30-2006, 04:13 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by Pashap5
When is steve coming up to Canada? To the Toronto area?
Steve didn't set any new dates for his next US / Toronto visit... but if you are interested in getting some mods installed in your car, you can always send us an email: s_krabbenborg@hotmail.com.

greetingz,

BigSis
Old 09-30-2006, 04:27 PM

'05 White W203
Thanks for the quick response i'll be in touch
Old 10-03-2006, 01:56 PM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
S213 2020 E450 4Matic CDN Spec 07/19 build
Originally Posted by MBenzNL
We did have euro comands with navigation software compatible for teh US but as the navigation software updates frequently and the navigation software protocolls change equally frequently, we have not been able to create US compatible discs for the euro comands with some of the updated US discs which made us decide no to offer euro comands for the US anylonger.

Ask any of the US ebay sellers wether their euro comand will work with US discs and they will most probably say YES...however - do not believe that!

greetingz,
Is this limitation only applicable to the W203, or does this problem/issue also apply to W211s?
Old 10-04-2006, 05:34 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by murman
Is this limitation only applicable to the W203, or does this problem/issue also apply to W211s?
This limitation applies to facelifted W203s, facelifted W209s, W164s, R-classes... basically any DVD comand with INTEGRATED navigation drive.

Since the W211, W219, facelifted W220, facelifted W215, facelifted R230, R171 come with a SEPARATE navigation drive in the trunk, the actual Euro spec DVD head units for these models will work in the US without a single problem.

greetingz,

BigSis
Old 10-04-2006, 10:46 AM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
S213 2020 E450 4Matic CDN Spec 07/19 build
Originally Posted by BigSis
This limitation applies to facelifted W203s, facelifted W209s, W164s, R-classes... basically any DVD comand with INTEGRATED navigation drive.

Since the W211, W219, facelifted W220, facelifted W215, facelifted R230, R171 come with a SEPARATE navigation drive in the trunk, the actual Euro spec DVD head units for these models will work in the US without a single problem.

greetingz,

BigSis
Thanks. That's an important distinction. Would hate to buy a Euro COMAND and NAV for a North Amercian spec W211 and find out the hard way that I have a very expensive and useless DVD drive!