Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

'05+ C-class Sirius box question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 c230
'05+ C-class Sirius box question

Can anyone tell me which pins (1-4) on the sirius decoder box do what? As in, which pin is power, which is ground, and which is wake up? Thanks.

Meph
Old 08-04-2006, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
brown ground
black/red or red is power
wake is blue/black
Old 08-04-2006, 02:11 PM

'06 c230
Thanks for the prompt reply, but I need a bit more specific response. On the sirius box there are 4 pins labeled 1 through 4, beside where the fibre optic connectin is made. I'd like to know which pin of those 4 is power, which is for ground, and which is for wake up.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:28 PM

'06 c230
bump

Anyone with this information out there? Or anyone with an '05 that can look at their sirius wiring harness and tell me which wire color is going into which pin location?
Old 02-09-2007, 09:59 PM

Sirius Module Pinout (D2B)

I am not responsible for fried units, but I am using this information to install a 04-05 MCS with MB Sirius module in my 99 ML320...

According to startech the Sirius SDAR (D2B) unit (B 6 7 83 0013) has a three pin copper connector. Look into the connector and you should see that they are numbered 1-3.

Pin Purpose
1 Neg. Ground
2 +12vdc
3 D2B wake-up

My MCS was pulled from an 05 ML and has the D2B fiber interface and a SAT button. Does anyone know which MCS pin is for the D2B wake-up?

Also, I would like the pinout for all of the C connector (I could only determine the pin-out for connector A and B on Startech. I could not find clear direction on connector C).

Buddy
Old 02-12-2007, 02:32 PM

'06 c230
Bloody brilliant info!

I'd almost given up hope on getting sirius to work, but after reading your reply I switched around how I had the pins laid out and to my surprise it worked like a charm! Thank you so much for this! This makes it fairly trivial to do a do-it-yourself sirius install on '06 (and possibly '07? are they prewired?) c-classes so long as you don't have the telephone option as everything you need can be scrounged from near where the sat box is installed.

Again, 1000 thanks for this info.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:25 PM

'06 c230
Alright, some people have asked so I'll try and flesh out the steps I took to get the MB Sirius box retrofit into my '06 C230. I'll admit that there's better ways to do this, prettier, more proper ways certainly, but this is how I did it. Most car audio shops should be able to do this in an hour or so as long as you tell them EXACTLY how to hook up the fibre optics.

Some of this might be a little vague and I can't include pictures right now because my car is in a garage across town, and I apologize for that, and some may not be the same as what you'd have to do because of differences in your setup and mine. But hopefully this'll give you a good idea of what's involved.

As a base point, here's what I was working with:
'06 C230
COMAND + Nav
CD Changer
iPod adaptor
aftermarket amps/speakers/sub

So mine is a pretty simple setup because I didn't have the telephone module, and don't really plan on ever installing it. This makes things easy.

The first step is to go and get the install kit. My invoice shows it as part # 6-7-83-0051. I just went in and asked for the Sirius install kit for an '05 C-class and, after 2 tries, managed to get the right kit. The first one they ordered for me only had the bracket in it, so make sure they order the entire kit. Just be adament that the kit has a bracket, antenna, fuse, clip of some sort, and the actual black box itself.

Once you've got the proper kit, the install itself is pretty straight forward. As buddypetty posted above, the kit requires a ground wire, +12V, and a wake up as well as a fibre optic connection. IF you don't have the telephone option, this becomes trivial because everything you need is in the trunk where the kit installs.

In the trunk, on the right side near the opening, pull out the two plastic clips around the opening, the one clip down in the side pocket next to the wheel well, and the clip up near the top of the trunk where the trunk support passes through the carpeting. Carefully pull back the carpeting to reveal the area directly behind the wheel well where the kit is to install. Regardless of whether you have the telephone kit installed or not, you should see a bracket mounted just behind the wheel well which you'll need to pull out and replace with the bracket in the Sirius kit.

Now comes the trickery. For the fibre optic connections, you've already got the TEL IN/TEL OUT fibres sitting there not being used, and you can get them to fit to the Sirius box if you unclip one or two of the zip ties holding them down fairly easily. What I did, since I was too lazy to order the proper connector for the 4 crimped wires + the fibre, was to simply make a connector for the wires, and leave the fibre lines connecting seperate.

If I'm remembering properly, I believe there was one of the 3 or so spare connectors hanging around for the telephone module that had 6 or 8 original connecting pins on it. I cut the wires heading into it, except for the brown ground wire because i wanted to use it for the new Sirius ground, leaving some spare hanging out because I was interested in the crimps mostly. I cut the actual connector itself down to 4 wires, so that it would fit on the pins on the Sirius box without interfering with the fibre connections. So now we've got a connector that fits, and a ground wire that should be in the pin 1 position.

For the other two wires, I cheated. Since I already had amps and a line-out LC7 sitting in the trunk, I spliced off the +12V and wakeup lines that it was putting out. BUT, they should be easy to run in theory. The wakeup you could pull off the cigarett lighter in the ash tray and run the wire back. I say use that one because I'm sure that's a wakeup signal, whereas the other wires sitting near the box I've no idea what they are. The +12V you could pull from most anywhere, just get a voltmeter and poke around for a wire and splice off of it.

Oh, almost forgot the antenna. You'll need one of these:
http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/produ...productid=4310
That'll go from a new style antenna to the old style connectors that the Sirius box requires. You'll also need a new style antenna. Crutchfields, best buy, circuit city, etc. should be able to help you with that. I installed my antenna under the rear parcel shelf peeking out at the bottom of the rear window. The cable from it runs out one of the two cutouts in the top of the trunk near the center and down to where the Sirius box is installed on the right. I have nearly flawless reception with this setup.

I think the only thing left is the fibre connections. On the Sirius box, there are two fibre connectors. TEL IN (that I'm using) goes into the left most connector (furthest from the 4 crimped wire pins) and TEL OUT into the other connector. Now just go to the passenger's side of the transmission tunnel, slide the seat all the way back and pull back the carpeting on the side of the transmission. You'll see the main fibre connection points, and in my case I had simply HU OUT going to CDC IN. For how I installed, I simply changed the connections to be HU OUT to TEL IN, and TEL OUT to CDC IN. That was it. Once that was done, I hit the power on the COMAND, heard the CD Changer come on (which I learned was a good indication on whether everything was plugged in correctly as it won't show up if there's something wrong with the Sirius box) and hit the SAT button. Once the "Acquiring signal..." message went off it flipped over to traffic/weather channel and I called and got it turned on. Simple really.

Like I said at the beginning, this is merely how I got it working in a "works but not necessarily in a pretty way" fashion. Note that I didn't have to get anything programmed, so maybe I got lucky in that respect. I don't know, maybe you could take this to a dealership as proof that it's possible and tell them you want it installed properly. But for me, this worked, and this is how I did it, and your mileage may vary. Good luck.

Meph
Old 05-18-2007, 10:25 AM

MCS II w/ Sirius in a 99 ML320, done.

I installed an 2004 MCS II with DVD nav, containing the "SAT" button in my 99 ML320. Ran a pair of fibers to the right quarter-panel; reused the old CD-changer wiring for D2B wake-up. Pulled full-time power from rear 12v power plug. Installed the factory Sirius module with factory antenna.

The MCS II did not require version coding to recognize the Sirius module.

MCS II off eBay: $500
DVD nav off eBay: $275
New Sirius module as part of Merecedes Dealership dead inventory lot on eBay: $26
Two year Sirius subscription: ~$90
Listening to Stern on a never-ending commute, while using the DVD Nav to find the closest Starbucks: Priceless

Next project, integrated phone.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:27 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by MephistoQC
Alright, some people have asked so I'll try and flesh out the steps I took to get the MB Sirius box retrofit into my '06 C230. I'll admit that there's better ways to do this, prettier, more proper ways certainly, but this is how I did it. Most car audio shops should be able to do this in an hour or so as long as you tell them EXACTLY how to hook up the fibre optics.

Some of this might be a little vague and I can't include pictures right now because my car is in a garage across town, and I apologize for that, and some may not be the same as what you'd have to do because of differences in your setup and mine. But hopefully this'll give you a good idea of what's involved.

As a base point, here's what I was working with:
'06 C230
COMAND + Nav
CD Changer
iPod adaptor
aftermarket amps/speakers/sub

So mine is a pretty simple setup because I didn't have the telephone module, and don't really plan on ever installing it. This makes things easy.

The first step is to go and get the install kit. My invoice shows it as part # 6-7-83-0051. I just went in and asked for the Sirius install kit for an '05 C-class and, after 2 tries, managed to get the right kit. The first one they ordered for me only had the bracket in it, so make sure they order the entire kit. Just be adament that the kit has a bracket, antenna, fuse, clip of some sort, and the actual black box itself.

Once you've got the proper kit, the install itself is pretty straight forward. As buddypetty posted above, the kit requires a ground wire, +12V, and a wake up as well as a fibre optic connection. IF you don't have the telephone option, this becomes trivial because everything you need is in the trunk where the kit installs.

In the trunk, on the right side near the opening, pull out the two plastic clips around the opening, the one clip down in the side pocket next to the wheel well, and the clip up near the top of the trunk where the trunk support passes through the carpeting. Carefully pull back the carpeting to reveal the area directly behind the wheel well where the kit is to install. Regardless of whether you have the telephone kit installed or not, you should see a bracket mounted just behind the wheel well which you'll need to pull out and replace with the bracket in the Sirius kit.

Now comes the trickery. For the fibre optic connections, you've already got the TEL IN/TEL OUT fibres sitting there not being used, and you can get them to fit to the Sirius box if you unclip one or two of the zip ties holding them down fairly easily. What I did, since I was too lazy to order the proper connector for the 4 crimped wires + the fibre, was to simply make a connector for the wires, and leave the fibre lines connecting seperate.

If I'm remembering properly, I believe there was one of the 3 or so spare connectors hanging around for the telephone module that had 6 or 8 original connecting pins on it. I cut the wires heading into it, except for the brown ground wire because i wanted to use it for the new Sirius ground, leaving some spare hanging out because I was interested in the crimps mostly. I cut the actual connector itself down to 4 wires, so that it would fit on the pins on the Sirius box without interfering with the fibre connections. So now we've got a connector that fits, and a ground wire that should be in the pin 1 position.

For the other two wires, I cheated. Since I already had amps and a line-out LC7 sitting in the trunk, I spliced off the +12V and wakeup lines that it was putting out. BUT, they should be easy to run in theory. The wakeup you could pull off the cigarett lighter in the ash tray and run the wire back. I say use that one because I'm sure that's a wakeup signal, whereas the other wires sitting near the box I've no idea what they are. The +12V you could pull from most anywhere, just get a voltmeter and poke around for a wire and splice off of it.

Oh, almost forgot the antenna. You'll need one of these:
http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/produ...productid=4310
That'll go from a new style antenna to the old style connectors that the Sirius box requires. You'll also need a new style antenna. Crutchfields, best buy, circuit city, etc. should be able to help you with that. I installed my antenna under the rear parcel shelf peeking out at the bottom of the rear window. The cable from it runs out one of the two cutouts in the top of the trunk near the center and down to where the Sirius box is installed on the right. I have nearly flawless reception with this setup.

I think the only thing left is the fibre connections. On the Sirius box, there are two fibre connectors. TEL IN (that I'm using) goes into the left most connector (furthest from the 4 crimped wire pins) and TEL OUT into the other connector. Now just go to the passenger's side of the transmission tunnel, slide the seat all the way back and pull back the carpeting on the side of the transmission. You'll see the main fibre connection points, and in my case I had simply HU OUT going to CDC IN. For how I installed, I simply changed the connections to be HU OUT to TEL IN, and TEL OUT to CDC IN. That was it. Once that was done, I hit the power on the COMAND, heard the CD Changer come on (which I learned was a good indication on whether everything was plugged in correctly as it won't show up if there's something wrong with the Sirius box) and hit the SAT button. Once the "Acquiring signal..." message went off it flipped over to traffic/weather channel and I called and got it turned on. Simple really.

Like I said at the beginning, this is merely how I got it working in a "works but not necessarily in a pretty way" fashion. Note that I didn't have to get anything programmed, so maybe I got lucky in that respect. I don't know, maybe you could take this to a dealership as proof that it's possible and tell them you want it installed properly. But for me, this worked, and this is how I did it, and your mileage may vary. Good luck.

Meph
nice job... actually you have everything correct except for the wakeup... the wakeup is not the same as switched 12v it actually gets a series of pulses when the MOST master turns on. the reason why everything is working ok is because MOST optical systems are redundant and the wakeup is done on the wakeup line as well as on the optic line but you will have problems down the road if you do not change that.

fortunately its no big deal... you can get wakeup at many points, the wakeup lead is on every device that has an optical connection. also keep in mind for future reference that all three needed wires (12v/gnd/wake) are present in that unused telephone module connector (the unused one with 32 pins)

4. gnd
20. 12 v
24. wakeup
Old 05-21-2007, 08:17 AM

Thanks for the info, but...

The 98-99 MLs did not have any D2b fiber (MOST fiber came out after D2b), so no wake-up links were present. The MCS II and Sirius module I installed are D2b, not MOST.

I did not apply switched power from the MCS to the Sirius wake-up connection. I determined that the D2b wake-up is on the MCS 'C' connector. Since the 'C' connector is wired to right quarter-panel in the 99 ML320, I got extremely lucky.

I will test it again, but I think the D2b will not work if the wake-up line is disconnected so I have to assume that it does not have the redundancy found into the MOST design.

The only part of the project that really bothers me is pulling full-time +12VDC from the rear power plug. The ML320 rear plug is always hot (even when the key is off) but I would sleep better knowing the power source is clean, not boot-legged.

Thanks again for the kudos!
Old 12-28-2007, 08:24 PM

Exclamation

Correction/Clarification: I installed an MCS, not MCS II (COMAND).

Originally Posted by buddypetty

I installed an 2004 MCS with DVD nav, containing the "SAT" button in my 99 ML320. Ran a pair of fibers to the right quarter-panel; reused the old CD-changer wiring for D2B wake-up. Pulled full-time power from rear 12v power plug. Installed the factory Sirius module with factory antenna.

The MCS did not require version coding to recognize the Sirius module.

MCS II off eBay: $500
DVD nav off eBay: $275
New Sirius module as part of Merecedes Dealership dead inventory lot on eBay: $26
Two year Sirius subscription: ~$90
Listening to Stern on a never-ending commute, while using the DVD Nav to find the closest Starbucks: Priceless

Next project, integrated phone.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
Originally Posted by rob13572468
nice job... actually you have everything correct except for the wakeup... the wakeup is not the same as switched 12v it actually gets a series of pulses when the MOST master turns on. the reason why everything is working ok is because MOST optical systems are redundant and the wakeup is done on the wakeup line as well as on the optic line but you will have problems down the road if you do not change that.

fortunately its no big deal... you can get wakeup at many points, the wakeup lead is on every device that has an optical connection. also keep in mind for future reference that all three needed wires (12v/gnd/wake) are present in that unused telephone module connector (the unused one with 32 pins)

4. gnd
20. 12 v
24. wakeup
So youre saying that everythying can be spliced directly from the tel wires in the trunk? Get the gear, run it off the pins in the trunk, switch the wires at the HU and youre good to go?
Old 12-29-2007, 10:35 AM
XJ9

C350
Originally Posted by rory breaker
So youre saying that everythying can be spliced directly from the tel wires in the trunk? Get the gear, run it off the pins in the trunk, switch the wires at the HU and youre good to go?
Yes, if you are working on a MOST bus vehicle every module that has optical fiber running to it has the 12V, GND, and Wakeup lines as well. You can grab the three needed connections from any module on the bus (though the pinouts will be different). Buddypettys was a different situation though since he was dealing with a retrofit of newer equipment into an older vehicle he wouldnt have the wakeup wire.