Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

AWS MB Bluetooth and Phone Compatibility Info

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
AWS MB Bluetooth and Phone Compatibility Info

AWS has placed a bit more information on their website concerning the pucks and compatibilities than I have seen before concerning these issues. I don’t check their site often, you may have seen it.

First, the BT puck information is available for various years and models at http://www.wireless4mb.com/btsolutions.aspx - there you can access more vehicle-specific information for your model year and type car. The categories plainly subdivide at model years 2005-2007, and 2002-2004.

When I entered a 2000 and 2001 S class, I got “Hold” pages for the upcoming Timeport puck. No information is available for this puck on the AWS page, but one contributor who has discussed this with AWS indicates it will be a puck with a “tail” (wire) that will connect to an existing connector in the car (e.g., in the center console for the S-class).

This is just a guess on my part, but it is likely that the BT puck for the TimePort will also work in the StarTac installations in the ’00 without replacing the PSE – but I don’t know if you’ll get caller ID with the StarTac PSE and the new BT puck. TimePort phones were essentially digital StarTacs with some additional features. However, the StarTac PSE did not provide caller I.D, and the TimePort PSE did.

Once you have gotten to the page showing the type of BT puck for your car, you can choose the “wish to purchase new phone” option and bring up the list of phones AWS is marketing. Once there, you can select the “In Car BT features” link to bring up a chart showing which features will download to COMAND, and that are accessible, for that phone. The phone compatibility charts for the MHI puck and for the V60 puck are slightly different, so be sure you're using the chart for the right puck.

It certainly doesn’t cover every phone – only those that AWS markets. However, many contributors have already provided specific information on variants of these phones. For example, AWS provided info only for the Cingular RAZR V3 (a GSM phone), and notes in the chart small print that “features like Phone Book Download, Call Lists Download are not included in the HFP Standard and can not be guaranteed with every phone.” However, Verizon users report that the RAZR V3c (a CDMA phone with OBEX crippled) does download the phone book, at least with newer versions of Verizon’s HFP firmware (users with GATW-01.15.03 and later have reported good results on downloads). A search of the forums will probably yield extensive information on specifics such as this for other non-AWS “approved” phones.

For many users, if you already have a phone such as those marketed by AWS, it is likely that the newer firmware versions from your service provider will offer similar features to those shown in the AWS compatibility chart for the type of puck available for you car.

Last edited by Skylaw; 08-20-2006 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350 Bluetech
So if I have a Motorola E815 that I use with the bluetooth adapter, can I then at some point use that same phone with just a cradle adapter? Or would that require specifically the MB branded E815?
Old 08-20-2006, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1986 560SEL, 97 BMW 740iL
To clear up a few things with the Verizon Razr V3c. Phones with .02 then upgraded to .04p would have OBEX enabled. Only the .03 does not. Verizon might have accidently left OBEX on the .02 firmware when it first came out. Now, the V3c is off their list, only the V3M and that's another story.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by NickIndy
So if I have a Motorola E815 that I use with the bluetooth adapter, can I then at some point use that same phone with just a cradle adapter? Or would that require specifically the MB branded E815?
Thats a good question, and I don't know the answer. However, I note that AWS posts a picture of the 815 on its site that does not have the MB Star logo on it, so perhaps there is hope. Or, maybe I make too much of the photo. Unfortunately, when I bought my '05 with an MHI setup, I had already sold my non-MB V710 and couldn't check it. So, I bought the MB V710 and still use it, plugged in.

I have a suspicion - and would love to be proven wrong - that the MB BT pucks are programmed to provide the same MB-coded "handshake" to the MHI that its branded phones supply, fooling it into thinking an MB-branded phone is present - and allowing the use of non-MB phones with the puck. If the MHI requires a "handshake" that a direct connect non-MB phone does not provide, then the MHI would shut the phone down.

You might ask a dealer if you can plug in an 815 cradle and see if your phone will work - or perhaps another contributor has the answer.

Last edited by Skylaw; 08-21-2006 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by dtkw
To clear up a few things with the Verizon Razr V3c. Phones with .02 then upgraded to .04p would have OBEX enabled. Only the .03 does not. Verizon might have accidently left OBEX on the .02 firmware when it first came out. Now, the V3c is off their list, only the V3M and that's another story.
Since the MB BT pucks in the U.S. only use the HFP, I'm not sure that lack of OBEX affects the downloads of phone book into COMAND. I also understand, without being expert in cell firmware, that the HFP used in the Verizon .03 and .04 firmware for the RAZR V3c was an enhanced version that has been successful downloading most features so far; it may not transfer some text messaging features or allow 3-way calling.

You're right about the V3m (multimedia) - but some of the older phones (such as my V3c) updated to v.04 firmware can use some of the features advertised for the V3m. The Verizon Navigation feature is one (I wrote up my experience with that earlier this month). Perhaps the HFP implementation on the V3m isn't too different, and it won't encounter problems with the MB BT. We can hope, and perhaps someone will share their experience.

Last edited by Skylaw; 08-21-2006 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:40 PM

Received 262 Likes on 168 Posts
My non-MB Verizon V710 works fine with the MHI and MB Bluetooth transmitter, including downloading of phone book.

However, I'm part of the Verizon V710 class action, and I have to replace it. Thinking either the RAZR so I can maintain full Bluetooth capability with the car, or the Motorola Q in hopes that either new software from Verizon and/or MB will enable full Bluetooth functionality in the near future (another thread here indicates the phone book will not download in their current versions).

A conversation with a fellow at AWS suggested that I get the Q; I assume he would only say that if it will be compatible soon...
Old 08-22-2006, 09:56 AM

My Verizon v3m paired without issues and all integrated functions appear to be supported including:

phone book transfer
caller ID
voice activation
Comand keypad
steering wheel controls

Don't know about call waiting, 3-way calling, or text messaging

2004 S500 4-matic
Old 08-23-2006, 12:20 PM

Quick note about the product pipeline relating to your post:

- No Timeport/StarTAC Puck is planned. Although the Puck works with these 2000 and 2001 systems with a cradle and PSE swap, it's not officially approved by MBUSA.
- Puck With Tail is coming in October. It's the perfect solution only for 2003 & 2004 E-Class and 2004 S-Class cars that do not have a phone system already installed. It plugs into the cradle connector under the console floor and provides integrated Bluetooth phone functionality. No other parts are needed because only these cars were equipped with CP211 platform Teleaid control units that have cellular phone control functions already built in. (Teleaid box basically includes built in PSE).
Old 08-23-2006, 12:31 PM

The E815 is compatible with MHI cradle part number B67875844. You can get it from your MB dealer or AWS. Unplug your Bluetooth Module and plug the cradle in it's place.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MagicO309D

- No Timeport/StarTAC Puck is planned. Although the Puck works with these 2000 and 2001 systems with a cradle and PSE swap, it's not officially approved by MBUSA.
- Puck With Tail is coming in October. It's the perfect solution only for 2003 & 2004 E-Class and 2004 S-Class cars that do not have a phone system already installed. It plugs into the cradle connector under the console floor and provides integrated Bluetooth phone functionality. No other parts are needed because only these cars were equipped with CP211 platform Teleaid control units that have cellular phone control functions already built in. (Teleaid box basically includes built in PSE).
Thank you for the info. AWS's site is a bit misleading, then, posting a "hold" page for the TimePort for the 2000 and 2001 model years if there are no plans for product.

Guess that leave lots of '00 and '01 S500 and other owners to upgrade to the Autosense PSE and V60 cradle with a V60 puck, at least in the forseeable future.

Last edited by Skylaw; 08-23-2006 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:36 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Originally Posted by Skylaw
Thank you for the info. AWS's site is a bit misleading, then, posting a "hold" page for the TimePort for the 2000 and 2001 model years if there are no plans for product.

Guess that leave lots of '00 and '01 S500 and other owners to upgrade to the Autosense PSE and V60 cradle with a V60 puck, at least in the forseeable future.
This is what i did, and it worked flawlessly:
GO on Ebay and buy a v60 cradle for your 00-01 vehicle. Then the BT works perfectly...the only other thing i did eventually do was to also buy the V60 PSE, just so i could get caller ID. Both were under $100...

Both my Cingular Razr and Cingular Treo 650 work FLAWLESSLY, both download phone books, etc...
Old 08-23-2006, 11:36 PM

ML350 Bluetech
The E815 is compatible with MHI cradle part number B67875844. You can get it from your MB dealer or AWS. Unplug your Bluetooth Module and plug the cradle in it's place.
I meant what happens if I already have the E815 that I didn't get through MB or AWS. It's compatible with bluetooth but is it also able to be used with the cradle?
Old 08-24-2006, 03:56 AM

BLACK 2005 SLK55 AMG,02 SILVER C32(SOLD),02 ML320 SILVER(Sold),99 S320 BLUE, 03 E500 Sport Pewter
so if i have an 2005 slk55 all i need is the buletooth adapter and my razor phone and it will work? or do i need te cradle as well? thanks in advance
Old 08-31-2006, 01:29 PM

GL350
Does anyone have any idea why the phonebook does not download into euro comands (w211) using the ECE software?
It does download though if i switch it to the US mode(no DVD )
Old 09-03-2006, 01:59 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 E320 CDI
Does anyone know which Sprint phones I can use with the AWS v-60 BT adapter that will upload the phonebook to command ? My company is locked into Sprint.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:11 AM

2003 E500
Magic, just some questions on the Puck with tail if I could please????:

* You mention 03 and 04 E Class.. does this INCLUDE the NAV replacement cars of MY03? Or are the NAV cars excluded for some reason.

* Where is this puck with tail available from? Is it from AWS therefore an official MB backed product or is this totally aftermarket?

* Is this a DIY, simple hook up.. or will it require dealer intervention (apart from the STARDiag activation I'm sure).

* Oh, and price and still on target for October?????

Thanks
Peter

Old 09-05-2006, 09:11 AM

Harley-Davidson
I meant what happens if I already have the E815 that I didn't get through MB or AWS. It's compatible with bluetooth but is it also able to be used with the cradle?
I also have a Verizon Motorola E815 that I didn't get from MB or AWS. NickIndy, do you already have the bluetooth module?
I intend to try this cradle when my car arrives in about a month. If it doesn't work, I can always get the bluetooth module. Magic0309D seems to be very knowledgeable, so I would expect the cradle to work fine.