Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

UHI+AWS V60 Bluetooth Cradle Adapter?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 04:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
Question UHI+AWS V60 Bluetooth Cradle Adapter?

Hi,

I have UHI installed by Steve, it works great! However, my SE K700i was broken. I am thinking about getting a new phone, but it seems there is no cradle for the newer phone. After doing some search, I found that AWS V60 Bluetooth Cradle Adapter might help. Could anyone here confirm this for me?

1. Does the AWS V60 bluetooth cradle adaptor work with UHI?
2. What I need are a V60 cradle with the AWS adaptor, then I can buy the cellphone from the list, is it correct?
3. Can I use this setting with both CDMA and GSM?

Thanks for any input!

Ben
Old 09-25-2006, 02:07 PM

The V60 Bluetooth Cradle Adaptor is only for the US version V60 phone system. You'll need the MHI Bluetooth Interface Module (b67875839). It plugs onto the MHI connector in you center console.

It's available at www.wireless4mb.com. Enter your car's model information and the site will provide a list of compatible phones and the BT module.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Thank you very much for your input!
But, what I have is UHI, does it also work with the MHI Bluetooth Interface Module?

Originally Posted by MagicO309D
The V60 Bluetooth Cradle Adaptor is only for the US version V60 phone system. You'll need the MHI Bluetooth Interface Module (b67875839). It plugs onto the MHI connector in you center console.

It's available at www.wireless4mb.com. Enter your car's model information and the site will provide a list of compatible phones and the BT module.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
After reading more threads, I got one question...

Are MHI Bluetooth Interface and UHI Bluetooth Interface the same thing?
Old 09-26-2006, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ben'z
After reading more threads, I got one question...

Are MHI Bluetooth Interface and UHI Bluetooth Interface the same thing?
It's actually a great question and there's a lot of confusion about this too. Anyway, I'll take a shot at it:

UHI (Universal Handset Interface) started in Europe about MY 2004. It's notable by the contact plate located in the center console where one can plug in a selection of handset specific cradles.

This system was adopted in the USA too starting with most cars in MY 2005. In the US, the system was named MHI (Multi Handset System). The name change was made to satisfy the Legal Department because "if you need a specific cradle to use a specific phone, and not all phones are supported with cradles, it's not truely "universal".

However, there are some technical differences too even though UHI and MHI are the same interface. US version cars have some different head-units and US version MHI/UHI phone systems must also function with CDMA handsets and GSM handsets. To accomodate these differences, there are some testing and software differences between what is sold in Europe and in the US. When it comes to the new Bluetooth Modules that plug into the center console, the European parts also support SAP because this profile is supported in Europe and not in the US yet.

For complete functional assurance, you're best served when you use MHI cradles with MHI systems and UHI cradles with UHI systems because the combinations have all been field tested and certified together by DCAG. Nevertheless, some are using UHI cradles with MHI systems to support their favorite Euro handset and some are using MHI Bluetooth modules with UHI systems because BT was available for MB's in the USA for about 6 months before Europe.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
You really know a lots about this system!

It seems like the only thing I need is the MHI bluetooth interface for my UHI system, in case I want to use CDMA, right?

Thank you very much!

Ben
Old 09-26-2006, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Ben'z
You really know a lots about this system!

It seems like the only thing I need is the MHI bluetooth interface for my UHI system, in case I want to use CDMA, right?

Thank you very much!

Ben
Yes, if you want to switch to Bluetooth, get the MHI Bluetooth Interface Module (b67875839). You can buy it at www.wireless4mb.com or from your local MB dealer. When you ditch your cradle, you'll give up built in charging and use of external antenna but you'll get convenience and more flexibility for handset upgrades in the future. Use the above site for available certified handsets and check out the supported features list. Even with Bluetooth, you can still get a handset that provides phonebook download functionallity.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Thanks!
I will let you know the result!
Old 09-27-2006, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 193 Likes on 152 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Yes, if you want to switch to Bluetooth, get the MHI Bluetooth Interface Module (b67875839). You can buy it at www.wireless4mb.com or from your local MB dealer.
I have a 2002 E55 with V60 TDMA originally for AT&T (now Cingular). Cingular is dumping TDMA so I need a new GSM phone. I looked at phones on wireless4mb.com. Are those phones coded specifically for use in MBZ Comand systems or can I purchased those models, say a Motorola V551 or any Bluetooth phone anywhere and use with the V60 Bluetooth Cradle Adapter?

Do you know part number for the 2002-2004 V60 Bluetooth Cradle adapter? Can it be purchased elsewhere besides wireless4mb and the dealer?

Can the phones listed on AWS also be purchased at the dealer? Thanks.

Last edited by E55 KEV; 09-27-2006 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 E55
For complete functional assurance, you're best served when you use MHI cradles with MHI systems and UHI cradles with UHI systems because the combinations have all been field tested and certified together by DCAG. Nevertheless, some are using UHI cradles with MHI systems to support their favorite Euro handset and some are using MHI Bluetooth modules with UHI systems because BT was available for MB's in the USA for about 6 months before Europe.
Thank you for your very informative post.

I have one more question. I have the UHI kit installed in my US W211 and am using the Nokia 6230i cradle. Now, which option would be better for me if I want to use the Bluetooth puck?

Should I purchase the MHI puck or the UHI puck? Is there a difference between the two other than the UHI puck being able to work with SAP Bluetooth profiles?

I am already using a Euro phone so I don't care that I am not utilizing the 850 mhz frequency. However, does the Bluetooth puck use certain frequencies or does it use the same as whatever phone you are using?
Old 09-27-2006, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by E55 KEV
I have a 2002 E55 with V60 TDMA originally for AT&T (now Cingular). Cingular is dumping TDMA so I need a new GSM phone. I looked at phones on wireless4mb.com. Are those phones coded specifically for use in MBZ Comand systems or can I purchased those models, say a Motorola V551 or any Bluetooth phone anywhere and use with the V60 Bluetooth Cradle Adapter?

Do you know part number for the 2002-2004 V60 Bluetooth Cradle adapter? Can it be purchased elsewhere besides wireless4mb and the dealer?

Can the phones listed on AWS also be purchased at the dealer? Thanks.
The V60 Bluetooth Cradle Adaptor (Puck) P/N B67875856 is the best solution for your situation. You'll be able to stay with Cingular and transition over to a new GSM phone and use you car's current integrated system. The only other place I have seen them for sale is ebay. If you go that route, make sure that you are getting one with the above part number.

The handsets listed at www.wireless4mb.com are all DCAG certified retail models with tested and approved software levels for the Puck. They do not have custom MB software because it's no longer needed when Puck is used. You can purchase them anywhere but it's up to you to check the software level. BTW, MB dealers have the approved software list, it's published in their Netstar system in the "Service" area.

As a rule, MB dealers are not selling retail handsets but this may change in the future. For Cingular, the only handset that they likely have in stock is the MB V600 handset. Unfortunately, it's not approved for use with the Puck because its Bluetooth implementation is not robust enough for use with MB's Bluetooth hands-free profile.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by t-bone
Thank you for your very informative post.

I have one more question. I have the UHI kit installed in my US W211 and am using the Nokia 6230i cradle. Now, which option would be better for me if I want to use the Bluetooth puck?

Should I purchase the MHI puck or the UHI puck? Is there a difference between the two other than the UHI puck being able to work with SAP Bluetooth profiles?

I am already using a Euro phone so I don't care that I am not utilizing the 850 mhz frequency. However, does the Bluetooth puck use certain frequencies or does it use the same as whatever phone you are using?
The best/only choice for your car in the US with US networks is the MHI Bluetooth Interface Module MB P/N B67875839. With Bluetooth hands-free profile, you use your handset's antenna to communicate with the network (handset does the network transmitting).

If you are happy with your 6230 and cradle solution, why change to Bluetooth interface? You'll give up battery charging, use of external antenna with signal booster, and limit the feature set that is available with your car's hands-free system. Your only gain would be the convenience of not having to dock your phone.

A good recommendation would be to wait until you want a different handset and then transition to Bluetooth. At that time, SAP may be supported by US carriers or at least the Bluetooth standard may have settled down and become more standardized.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 E55
The best/only choice for your car in the US with US networks is the MHI Bluetooth Interface Module MB P/N B67875839. With Bluetooth hands-free profile, you use your handset's antenna to communicate with the network (handset does the network transmitting).

If you are happy with your 6230 and cradle solution, why change to Bluetooth interface? You'll give up battery charging, use of external antenna with signal booster, and limit the feature set that is available with your car's hands-free system. Your only gain would be the convenience of not having to dock your phone.

A good recommendation would be to wait until you want a different handset and then transition to Bluetooth. At that time, SAP may be supported by US carriers or at least the Bluetooth standard may have settled down and become more standardized.
You hit upon my point in looking into the Bluetooth system. I'm interested in some other Nokia phones that have SAP and wanted to know which Bluetooth puck would be best. UHI or MHI bluetooth puck.

I have the UHI system in my car because Steve aka MBenzNL helped install it for me. He's the man.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:48 PM

The European UHI Bluetooth interfaces support SAP but you can't use the profile in the US because we have different cellular frequencies. If you search the forum for SAP you will find the part numers because I posted them a month or two ago. If you install one of these units, they will work with your car (but not optimized) but you will only get access to hands-free profile.

You see, with SAP profile your SIM information is downloaded into the interface. The interface contains it's own "built in cellphone" and it "takes over for your phone number" while you are in the car and transmitts to the network. This saves your batteries and the system uses the car's external antenna too. It's the ideal solution because it offers convenience of Bluetooth and the performance of a cradle. The only problem is that the two DCAG units on the market so far only transmit on European cellular frequencies so they will not work in the US.

At this point, your only real option is the MB P/N B67875839 interface and you will be limited to normal Bluetooth hands-free profile.

Last edited by MagicO309D; 09-27-2006 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 193 Likes on 152 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
The V60 Bluetooth Cradle Adaptor (Puck) P/N B67875856 is the best solution for your situation...
Thanks for the Info.