Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

MB Multi-Media Drop-down Roof Screen

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2002, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB Multi-Media Roof Screen

Has anyone seen the new european ML sales brochure...

There is a picture of a roof mounted drop down multi-media screen. Looks as though it fits with the Comand 2.0 head unit and TV tuner. The MB UK dealers don't seem to know anthing about it. MB say it may not be available until November, maybe with a full AV package, DVD, TV etc.

I want to add this screen to my 2002 ML because it is probably on an RGB feed, and there are no RGB screens on the market I can find. I was going to fit a Necvox or Clarion with an RGB converter, but I think I will just wait until November now..

Comand's TV Tuner has RGB outputs for extra screens and two extra audio outputs.. does anyone know anything else about this MB item

Last edited by Londonboy; 10-02-2002 at 04:53 PM.
Old 09-22-2002, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
Its been in the UK brochure aswell. There is also a german brochure about this (specifically) , and apparently theres instructions on how to retrofit it in the MB dealers' workshop system (ie, so they will retrofit it)

Whether the parts are available or not, and whether it connects to COMAND or not, I have no idea !

R
Old 09-22-2002, 07:11 PM

MB Multi-Media

Hi Richard

My TV is working great since we sorted out those modifications...

Any news on TMC for Comand yet....

If you hear anything more on the Multi-media screen let me know...

Steve

Last edited by Londonboy; 09-22-2002 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-29-2002, 05:24 PM

I have already installed a drop down multi media screen in the roof of an ML with DVD-player etc...
Any MB workshop has full details about how to install it.
Patrick
Old 09-30-2002, 04:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by patrick
I have already installed a drop down multi media screen in the roof of an ML with DVD-player etc...
Any MB workshop has full details about how to install it.
Patrick
Patrick. Does the MB solution integrate with COMAND ? Or is it a standalone solution ?

Cheers
R
Old 09-30-2002, 08:52 AM

Drop Down Screen

Patrick....

I have tried four MB dealers and they say the MB part numbers have not been issued yet...

and MB UK say its not available until November, so which MB dealer did you get your drop down MB screen fitted, or supplied
Old 09-30-2002, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by Richard
Patrick. Does the MB solution integrate with COMAND ? Or is it a standalone solution ?

Cheers
R
It works together with the Comand system. For example if you play DVD movies or play a Playstation game, the sound comes from the already mounted speakers (if you do not use the headphones that you can plug in at the rear seat). On the Comand you can choose external sources, such as the DVD-player (or VHS video player) that comes with the drop down screen.
Patrick
Old 09-30-2002, 02:43 PM

Re: Drop Down Screen

Originally posted by Londonboy
Patrick....

I have tried four MB dealers and they say the MB part numbers have not been issued yet...

and MB UK say its not available until November, so which MB dealer did you get your drop down MB screen fitted, or supplied
Are you sure they are "real" MB dealers? All information about the parts numbers and fitting instructions is available since more than a year. I fitted it in an ML 270 CDI more than a year ago.
If I find the time I will look it up to know which parts have been used.
Patrick
Old 09-30-2002, 06:52 PM

Drop Down Over A Year....??

patrick

I don't think we can be talking about the same screen here.

And there is only one MB UK, and yes they were four authorised MB dealers.. over a year mmm... which planet and solar sytem was your MB dealer located.... and can you give us the part numbers.....

The MB drop down screen has only just appeared in the new ML brochure.. and the dealers don't have order numbers yet...
Old 10-01-2002, 04:24 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E400 COUPE SOLD -> Porsche Taycan 4S
i think its the Alpine TMX-R680A

hope this helps.

b
Old 10-01-2002, 07:07 AM

Its not an Alpine

Its not an Alpine.. thanks anyway..

I know in the US Alpine Navigation and audio is fitted by MB, but in Europe it is not..

In Europe Comand is a Becker/Blaupunkt/Bose combination, runing on TeleAtlas navigation discs and not NavTech as in Alpine US.

I have attached a picture from the MB brochure, as you can see its not an Alpine. Notice the remote is stored in the screens housing.

patrick knows what screen it is, and he is going to give us the part number soon................

Last edited by Londonboy; 10-05-2002 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-01-2002, 12:30 PM

Yes, it is this type of screen I installed more than a year ago!
But this week I am on training, so you will have to wait a couple of days for the part numbers.
Patrick
Old 10-01-2002, 11:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E400 COUPE SOLD -> Porsche Taycan 4S
wouldnt you rather get the alpine wide screen? it swivels left and right too...

b
Old 10-02-2002, 03:36 AM

Alpine Screen

The Alpine, NecVox 16x9, and Clarion are three of the best after fit screens on the market I agree (I don't think I can fit the Alpine with an MB tilt/sliding glass Sunroof)... but neither of them have RGB inputs, and the MB TV Tuner has RGB outputs for additional screens.

Also European Comands have front end functions and menu switching for the rear screen(s)..

and I don't think you can get the Alpine, NecVox or Clarion to do that with a bucket of add on boxes an sensors...

and even then it probably still won't work fully in conjunction with Comand.

The Clarion is my first choice if I can't get the MB screen... because it has two AV inputs reducing the need for an AV switcher and yet another remote and in-line box of tricks...

Last edited by Londonboy; 10-02-2002 at 03:39 AM.
Old 10-03-2002, 08:19 AM

Yes, it is this type of screen I installed more than a year ago!
But this week I am on training, so you will have to wait a couple of days for the part numbers.
Patrick
That is what I have found:
B 6 782 65 38
B 6 782 65 70
B 6 782 65 36
Q 482 77 64
A 000 823 00 77

It is possible that 1 of these is not necessary because the part is already invluded in another set. There are two types of plug holders to fit in the ashtray at the rear, where you can plug headphones in.
Patrick
Old 10-03-2002, 11:46 AM

MB screen parts

thanks patrick
Old 10-03-2002, 04:13 PM

Why?

Why would you stick with Mercedes do have this done? If it were me I would have somebody who specializes in this area install a larger, slimers, and more compact steup into my car. I have a hard time understanding why people would go to Mercedes with this? Can anyone help me out on this one, am I missing a something here?

-AmgBoy
Old 10-03-2002, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Why?

Originally posted by AmgBoy
Why would you stick with Mercedes do have this done? If it were me I would have somebody who specializes in this area install a larger, slimers, and more compact steup into my car. I have a hard time understanding why people would go to Mercedes with this? Can anyone help me out on this one, am I missing a something here?

-AmgBoy
Because the MB solution integrates with COMAND, allows you to select seperate video sources/tv on the different screents etc ?
Old 10-03-2002, 05:10 PM

Re: Why?

-AmgBoy
Yes, you are definitly missing something.
Patrick
Old 10-03-2002, 05:39 PM

MB Option

Richard is correct, the MB version will intergrate into my UK Comand system.

Linking the two will enable the TV and 2 AV feeds to be switched from the head Comand unit either with the Comand head controls and sub menus, or the one MB Remote to control the whole lot.. instead of a bucket of Remotes, IR sensors, Switchers hanging out of the roof lining and god knows where else..

Also I won't need two TV tuners and two diversity Antenna set ups to get TV on both the rear and Comand screen (and yes the picture will stay up when the car is moving). The MB option is the only set up which will feed the picture signal RGB and not RCA composite... whew

An all MB installation would hopefully be supported by MB eventually, and make the resale of my vehicle easier..

Can't think of anything else.. oh yeah the down sides are I will probably have to pay more, and wait longer to get the full installation, technical information and parts initially..

But whats the rush.. I would much rather wait for the MB product rather than get an after-market non standard set up.. which has a higher risk of being stolen because some low life knows how to get them working in his Ford or Vauxhall.. sorry about that I will get off my soap box now...!!

Last edited by Londonboy; 10-03-2002 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-04-2002, 08:14 AM

Part Numbers

That is what I have found:
B 6 782 65 38
B 6 782 65 70
B 6 782 65 36
Q 482 77 64
A 000 823 00 77

It is possible that 1 of these is not necessary because the part is already invluded in another set. There are two types of plug holders to fit in the ashtray at the rear, where you can plug headphones in.
Patrick
patrick.. One of the MB part numbers is missing some figures, and another is invalid. The Q 482 77 64 should have two more figures, although I have checked the other MB parts numbers with a local dealer, and I will have to order on "back order" (Germany is out of stock). But you have listed the DVD player and screen.. the most important items..

B 6 782 65 38 - £ 742.85 - MB DVD Player
B 6 782 65 36 - £1,194.27- MB Monitor
A 000 823 0077 - £2.44 - MB Adaptor
B 6 782 65 36 Invalid Part number
Q482 77 64 In-complete part number
ALL PLUS VAT TAX

Can you check the Q part number when you get a chance.. thanks
Old 10-04-2002, 02:57 PM

Thanks

Hey thanks LondonBoy for clearing that up! Now I unserstand why you would go with Mercedes product instead of aftermarket.

Patrick- So did LondonBoy cover what you thought I was missing?

-AmgBoy
Old 10-05-2002, 09:38 AM

Re: Thanks

Hey thanks LondonBoy for clearing that up! Now I unserstand why you would go with Mercedes product instead of aftermarket.

Patrick- So did LondonBoy cover what you thought I was missing?

-AmgBoy
Yes he did!
Patrick
Old 10-05-2002, 11:37 AM

Why MB

Even though I have given my reasons for going with the MB product, as you may know, its not to say that I won't get worn down trying to achieve getting the MB installation.

I could end up giving up and go the aftermarket option just because MB muck me around so much, and with a lack of information...

But at the moment I feel as if I am in the early stages, so I still have the energy to go for the MB setup, with great help from forum members like Richard, and Patrick I may get there... otherwise it may be impossible.. unless I could throw big bucks at the problem.. and I cant otherwise the wife would shoot me..

Patrick, any news on the full Q number...

Last edited by Londonboy; 10-05-2002 at 11:39 AM.