Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Steering whl control w211

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering whl control w211

Does the 03 W211 use CAN Bus or MOST? sorry i am confused. i was wondering if this steering wheel adapter for aftermarket headunits would work for the W211. it says it works on an 03 C\CLK.

http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/produ...productid=5782
Old 03-21-2007, 04:15 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by inferno2469
Does the 03 W211 use CAN Bus or MOST? sorry i am confused. i was wondering if this steering wheel adapter for aftermarket headunits would work for the W211. it says it works on an 03 C\CLK.

http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/produ...productid=5782
ok to answer your question the W211 uses canbus *and* most. canbus is the 2 wire network that all of the vehicle body functions run over (CAN-B) as well as the engine functions (CAN-C). MOST is a fiber optic network that is used for the command (radio/cd/sat/telephone) system. it passes multi channel digital audio as well as audio command info (like change cd track, etc).

the steering wheel passes the button press info to the radio over the CAN-B network and therefore requires a module to decode the CAN data and the re-encode the button press data as IR or wired commands for your particular radio. unfortunately the listed unit will not work with the w211. the CAN frames used for steering wheel buttons change from MY to MY and from model to model. the format used on the CLK for 03/04 was particular to that model only. there is no reason why they couldnt reprogramm the module to work with your vehicle... the simply have not for whatever reason. i have actually designed working interfaces for your model year for a special project (working a car computer) but did not market it because of lack of interest. you could always have one custom designed but it would be expensive.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
awesome, THANKS! that is the exact info i was looking for.