Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Gateway 500 for MOST – Good Unit, Poor Documentation

Old 05-19-2007, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Gateway 500 for MOST – Good Unit, Poor Documentation

I installed a Dension Gateway 500 (GW 500) for MOST bus in my 2005 S500 (U.S. spec). Below, I document the installation from removing the COMAND unit, including the wood fascia; locating and running the three copper cables from the console to the GW 500 location; locating the GW 500 device; and connecting it to the fiber optic ring. This was a difficult first-time project. I accept no liability for damage to your car or to your GW 500 if you attempt it. In addition, I do not repeat the steps of the Dension supplied Instruction or User Guides, but supplement them. You will have to use the installation guide and user guide. In addition, I am familiar with my own '05 W220 because I have done this installation; I am not familiar with other models in detail, and cannot answer specific questions about them. I hope there is sufficient detail below to carry over to other models.

Most of you will already know that the GW 500 is designed to allow an iPod to replace the CD Changer (CDC) on the fiber optic bus, but allow switching back to the CDC if desired. On COMAND-equipped cars, it will display menus as well as song title, playlist name, and play time on the COMAND display; and track information on the instrument cluster multifunction display.

I located the iPod, USB, and AUX connections and the CDC/GW500 mode selector switch in the console, and the GW 500 unit behind the ashtray in the COMAND console space. The cables (copper and fiber optic) supplied require an installation in the passenger compartment; they are long enough if you locate the input cables in the glove compartment, but are barely long enough for a console installation in an S-Class. They truly need to be at least 6 inches longer.

REMOVE THE COMAND UNIT

The COMAND unit is removed by placing the car in “Drive” (set the parking brake); pulling the ashtray out; removing two screws behind the wood fascia with a #20 Star driver; then fully removing the ashtray (disconnecting the cigarette lighter connector at the back). See first photo.

With the ash tray and screws removed, the air conditioning controls slide right out; I reached under it and gently pulled it from behind. Only two clips hold it after removing the screws. See second photo.

After removing the ashtray and A/C controls, you may place the shift lever in Park. The wood fascia for the ashtray and A/C controls come out with the units, and do not have to be separately removed. All of the wood fascia are sturdy; they are mounted to a metal or heavy plastic backing, and the only special care needed is not to scratch them. I did not disconnect the A/C unit from its harness, but let it hang to the right of the console.

Next, insert a small screwdriver or knife (covered with tape if you wish) at a lower corner of the upper wood fascia, above the COMAND unit, and pry it outward. The fascia is held in only by sturdy plastic clips and will pull out easily. In the photo below, the clips for the A/C controls and the removed upper fascia (resting atop the A/C control unit) are visible. See third photo.

Removing the A/C controls and upper fascia reveal the four Star screws (#20 driver) at the corners of the COMAND unit that hold it in. At this point I went on to installing the iPod, USB, and AUX input/GW 500 selector switch in the console, and routing the wires to the now-open space below the COMAND unit.

However, for purposes of illustration, the last photo shows the back of the removed COMAND 2.0. The MOST version has only five connections: Two fiber optic leads (orange), a +12 volt wire (red/yellow), a brown wire (ground), and a blue/black wire (I believe the dimmer control for lighting the buttons on the front of the unit). That’s all there is for the MOST unit. We’ll get back to the connections made here, later.
Attached Thumbnails -comand-removal-1.jpg   -comand-removal-2.jpg   -comand-removal-4.jpg   -comand-removal-5.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
bloodyking (06-21-2023)
Old 05-19-2007, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Install connections in console - 1

I wanted all of the input connections and the mode selector switch in the console. These may be placed in the glove compartment far more easily – all, or in any combination. However, I elected to do it the hard way, for future convenience. The first photo shows my upper console compartments (phone and storage), open. The false floor is held in place by three Star screws (#10 driver), two of which are under rubber covers.

I removed the false floor to reveal the MHI phone wiring and Tele-Aid button connector, and disconnected Tele-Aid buttons by prying the side with the small retention clip. The MHI wiring slips out of a slot in the bottom of the false floor (on the back), and need not be disconnected. See second photo, below.

I drilled a hole in the back wall of the false floor using a ½ inch drill bit, and then had to enlarge it to allow the USB connector and 9-pin iPod connectors to pass. I ground the two side flanges off of the AUX/mode selector, and used the two small screws that hold the back panel onto the switch to affix it to the back wall of the false floor as well, as shown in the center photo below. I also cut a notch below the mode selector to allow its wiring to pass. Inside the tiny hole in the Aux/mode selector in the center photo is the reset button.

I also drilled a ½ inch hole in the back wall of the lower part of the console, and enlarged it to allow the connectors to pass. The hole is just below the curve of the black wires. This hole lines up with the similar hole in the false floor. Careful when drilling, so as not to hit your console exterior! 4th photo below.

Below the holes, by the hinge, is a small rectangular tab, which snaps out (5th photo). It is large enough to allow each connector to pass, and be fed to the console floor. I fed the connectors through the two holes drilled, and through the hole for the removed tab. I could not thread the wires through the hinge itself because the space is already occupied by other wiring.

In the 5th photo, the hole exposed by removing the tab is shown with a tan wire passing through it. I started to use this wire as a “fish” but found the connectors would drop straight down to the console floor easily enough (with a little coaxing). I had also removed the console light fixture as a potential aid to fishing the connectors, but this turned out to be unnecessary.
Attached Thumbnails -console-1.jpg   -console-2.jpg   -console-4.jpg   -console-5.jpg   -console-3.jpg  

Old 05-19-2007, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Console Connections 2

Access to the console floor is by removal of the back panel, below the rear A/C vents. Pry it from the upper corners until it pops out slightly; then lift it up. Pull the bundled wires and connectors for the MHI and Tele-Aid buttons out slightly to gain clearance to retrieve the GW 500 connector cables, which can be see at the left side of the console in the first photo below.

Before feeding the connector wires forward, I reinstalled the false floor into the console, and mounted the USB connector clip where I wanted it, to be sure not to pull the wires too far forward, and to ensure enough slack to open and close the console.

One may be tempted not to drill the holes as I illustrated, but to feed the wires over the lip on the back of the console and then into the hinge hole. Doing this will push the console lid forward when closed, making it difficult to open. A little thought will reveal how I know this. Drill the holes. My console setup is shown in the second photo, below.

By repositioning the driver’s seat several times, you can tuck the connector wires under the left side of the console until you reach the front part of the console. Pull the carpeting out as shown in the third photo below, and feed the connectors into the space behind the (removed) ashtray, under the COMAND unit.

The third photo below shows the carpeting pulled back at the front of the console, just ahead of the driver’s seat. The dark space at the left of my hand is an alternate spot to place the GW 500 box, if you wish – it will cause a very slight bulge, but is easier than working in the console space. Of course, I did it the hard way. The connectors are fed through a small space just above my thumb (which could be used to feed the power and fiber optic leads out, if you place the unit outside the console, under the carpet).

Once the fiber optic and power connections are made, the connectors will be inserted into the GW 500 unit as shown in the fourth photo below. Because the connector wires from the console are short, I could not place the GW 500 unit high in the area behind the COMAND unit, where there is plenty of space. Instead I put it atop the airbag control unit (with the orange label), slid it into a space that is just above and behind the airbag control, and affixed it with industrial-strength Velcro (barely visible toward the back of the airbag unit). Care MUST be taken to avoid crushing or overly bending the fiber optic leads plugged into the left side of the GW 500 unit when positioning it here - but there is just enough space to make it work. From left to right, the USB input is just under the orange fiber optic lead; then the 9-pin iPod input; an unused and disabled 9-pin socket; and the AUX/mode selector input just beneath the orange fiber optic cable on the right.
Attached Thumbnails -console-6.jpg   -console-10.jpg   -console-7.jpg   -console-8.jpg  
Old 05-19-2007, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Complete the Connections - and why it's not ready for prime time

Before hooking up the connectors from the console, one should make the fiber optic and power connections to the GW 500, because the short length of wires from the console leaves little to work with. Now for the really fun part. First, remove the COMAND unit as discussed above. After removing the four screws (#20 Star driver), it just slides out, Do not kink the orange fiber optic leads – doing so can ruin them.

One must be very careful to connect the fiber optic leads in accordance with the direction of light travel; arrows are molded into the ends of the connectors showing the direction. Because I have a CD changer in the trunk, I connected my GW 500 to the COMAND unit’s light output path – but folks with CDCs in the passenger compartment will want to connect it to the CD Changer. Where you choose to connect it is very important, but more on that later. What follows discusses my installation.

On the back of the COMAND unit there is a single large connector with both the power wires and the fiber optic leads. Remove the connector by pushing down on a spring release at the top center of the connector as shown in the first photo below.

Once the large connector is out, release the tab on the left side of it to release the smaller fiber optic connector, shown in the second photo below. Note the arrows at the end of the connector.

On the side of the connector with the arrows are two slits; after removing the small blue retaining plug, insert a fine blade or screwdriver tip, twist slightly to spread it, and gently pull the fiber optic lead out - see third photo, below. For my installation, I disconnected the output lead from the COMAND unit in order to insert the GW 500 ahead of the CD changer in the fiber optic loop. Then placing fiber optic leads into the connectors, push in gently until hearing a slight "snap" then replace the blue retaining plug.

Here is one place things get complicated. The fiber optic diagrams showing connection of the GW 500 directly to the CD changer in the installation guide are probably OK (though the text tells you very little) if you have a CDC in the passenger compartment (probably in the glove compartment). In that setup, breaking the fiber optic loop at the CDC places the GW 500 immediately before the CDC in the fiber optic loop. However, this diagram is practical only for CD changers mounted in the passenger compartment.

However, the diagrams don't work for a trunk-mounted CDC. Unfortunately, for a trunk-mounted CDC, the only place to put the GW 500 is attached to the COMAND unit, either with the light coming out of the COMAND, or going into it. This does not allow placement of the GW 500 in the fiber optic ring immediately before the CDC. Placing the GW 500 on the output side of the COMAND unit inserts the GW 500 before the CDC, but not adjacent to it. Placing it on the input side places the GW 500 after the GW 500. Inserted before the CDC, but not immediately before it, my GW 500 did not work!! It also didn't work when installed on the input side to the COMAND unit (after the CDC). I tried.

Thanks to the assistance of Rob13572468 on BenzWorld, we confirmed that indeed the GW 500 must be installed immediately ahead of and adjacent to the CD Changer in the fiber optic loop. On his recommendation, I swapped the fiber optic connections between the Voice Control System and the CD Changer in the trunk. This had the effect of placing the GW 500 directly after the COMAND unit and immediately before the CDC, in the loop. I’ll address the changes in the trunk below.

The installation guide text is silent regarding the need to place the GW 500 immediately before the CDC in the fiber optic loop (even if not physically beside the CDC); only the (tiny) diagrams suggest it.

The MOST bus, unlike the D2B bus, uses a signal in the fiber optic path to "wake up" the equipment on the loop (D2B uses a copper wire for wake-up). The GW 500 is most likely designed to intercept this signal for the CDC, thus keeping the CDC from waking up, and places itself and whatever input is connected to it (iPod, USB device, or AUX) on the loop. When the GW 500 is not immediately adjacent to and prior to the CDC, its ability to keep the CDC "asleep" is intercepted or interfered with by whatever follows the GW 500 on the loop, and the CD Changer wakes up and enters the loop. My best guess, anyway.

The fiber optic connections to the GW 500 unit are in fact simple, but the illustrations are poor. What they (and the text) fail to tell you is that a protective cover (with holes, no less) that looks like a connector but will not fit any of the connectors supplied, is installed in the fiber optic socket of the GW 500 box. This protector must be removed before any fiber connections can be made to the box. Once that is done, the rest of the connections become fairly easy to follow. You use a 2-piece socket - a larger part fits into the GW 500 box, and a fiber optic plug then fits into that.

The last thing to do is to tap into unswitched 12v power and ground wires – either those going to the COMAND unit, or by adding a fuse holder on the dashboard panel and tapping into ground. To do the latter, run the power wires to the front fuse panel and use one of the unused fuse slots and also connect to the ground point in the kick panel (there is a 10 mm bolt with ground wires terminating there). (Thanks to Rob13572468 for that information). The supplied power wires are long enough to do this. Unswitched power is required to allow charging for up to 2 hours after the ignition or head unit is switched off. Then, position the GW 500 so that there is clearance for the ashtray, gently place the fiber optic leads so they are not bent tightly or kinked (photo, lower right in post #3 above), and button everything back up.
Attached Thumbnails -comand-removal-5-copy.jpg   -comand-fo-1.jpg   -comand-fo-2.jpg  

Last edited by Skylaw; 05-19-2007 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The Trunk Connections

The following steps are unnecessary if you have a CD changer mounted in the passenger compartment. They are also likely unnecessary if you have a D2B version of the Gateway 500, since the D2B bus uses a different wake-up system. My understanding is that it is only necessary for MOST bus equipped cars having a trunk (or rear) mounted CD changer as discussed in the preceding posts.

I used the phone bulletin for my car on Paul Dick’s great site - Phone Bulletins - to determine the steps for accessing the equipment. The color photos of the console in the ’05 S-Class bulletin are also clearer than in my posts above. Because the placement of equipment is different not only among models of Benzes, they are also sometimes different from year to year. Please consult the bulletin for your car.

Before you start, eject the Nav DVD; when you remove its fiber optic connector later in the process, it will try to eject the disc and could damage it.

In addition, do not disconnect the battery when doing this work. Just turn off the COMAND unit and ignition.

Making the changes to the fiber optic connections in the trunk requires 1) opening the trunk (OK, enough jokes), 2) removing the left side trunk liner, 3) removing the upper electronics rack containing the MHI module, Nav unit, and CD changer; 4) removing the lower electronics rack containing the Voice Control System (VCS) module and the Bose amplifier; 5) switching the fiber optic connections between the CDC and there VCS, and 6) putting it back together. Wish it were that simple – it’s not.

The trunk liner is held in by one plastic retainer on the upper side behind the left corner of the rear window, and by the screw holding the left front cargo net attachment point in place on the floor. Remove these (pull the cap on the upper retainer – when it comes out, then pry the retainer out), remove the taillight access door, then pull the liner out from the bottom and from the rear. Be sure you note how it is in, so you know how to put it back.

You will see the upper electronics rack with its components as shown in the first picture below. It is held in place by four 10mm (as I recall; they may be 8 mm) bolts and one flanged nut, as shown. Remove them. Note how tabs on the feet of the upper rack fit into slots on the lower rack near each front bolt on the floor of the trunk – you’ll need to put it back that way. Then gently pull the rack out so you can access the nuts & bolts folding the antenna switch in place. Remove the antenna switch so you can take the rack all the way out. Be careful of the fiber optic cables, especially those going to the MHI unit.

Then remove the two flanged nuts from the lower rack, and pull it out, being careful of the fiber optics again. The VCS module is on the back of the rack. See the second photo below.

At this point I assume that you at least know or have learned how to deal with fiber optic connectors from installing the GW 500 in the console. Remove three fiber optic connectors: from the CDC, the Nav unit, and the VCS (third photo below). You must remove the connector from the Nav unit because the F/O leads are not long enough to permit the reconnection without doing so. You do not change any copper wire connections. Again, you should have ejected your nav DVD before this point, because the nav unit will try to eject it when you disconnect its F/O lead.

To remove the F/O leads, you first remove the larger socket, then take out the small connector as done with the COMAND unit. You are only changing the small F/O connectors, not the entire socket. Now, connect the CDC F/O lead to the VCS, and the VCS lead to the CDC. Do not reconnect the nav F/O lead at this time.

Next, place the lower equipment rack back into place, and re-secure it with its two flanged nuts. Be very careful not to pinch copper wire or fiber optic cables, and be mindful of where the fiber optic cables will have to run when the upper rack is put back.

Then, move the upper rack back toward its position far enough to reattach the antenna switch above the MHI unit. Plug the nav unit fiber optic lead back into the nav unit at this time; then slide the upper rack back into place, and re-secure it. At this point I suggest testing the insatllation with the startup procedure below (post #6) before reinstalling the trunk liner.

I hope this documentation and that to follow will help someone. For those who like diagrams, the before-and after MOST fiber optic rings for my '05 W220 are below. Check the phone bulletins on Paul's site for your car - thay are not all configured the same. The change in position of the VCS (Voice Control System) and CDC (CD Changer) in the diagrams is effected by swapping the fiber optic connections between the two. However, I believe that despite the switch, the MOST master controller still sees the CDC as component 4 and the VCS as component 2 on the STAR diagnostics menu, because no STAR diagnostics reprogramming is necessary for the installation. I just didn't change it in the diagram.

After the changes, all of the items on the ring - VCS, nav, radio, telephone, etc. worked as before, except that now the GW 500 would replace the CDC in the ring when desired.

I do want to thank Rob13572468 again for his time and patience; we had frequent private message correspondence putting our ideas together to resolve the problem. He is in Chicago, I am in Tampa - but some of his PM traffic is time stamped at 1:30 AM, so I know he worked late to help. His help was invaluable.
Attached Thumbnails -electronics-bay-1.jpg   -electronics-bay-2-copy.jpg   -components-removed.jpg   -most-ring-s500.jpg   -most-ring-s500-2.jpg  

Last edited by Skylaw; 05-19-2007 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hints On Getting It To Work The First Time

STARTING THE SYSTEM

In the car, be sure your mode selector switch is positioned for GW 500 use; then use the MOST bus reset procedure (turn off COMAND, turn off ignition, remove key, wait approximately 2 minutes, then insert key, turn on ignition, then turn on COMAND)– and you should see your iPod start up and information display on the COMAND (or HU) screen. Replace your trunk liner, and you’re done with the installation. Next – some specific info to get you started with the Dension menus.

SOME TIPS ON THE MENUS

The instructions in the user manual for using the Dension menus are general, and steps will clearly vary depending on what head unit is used. Controls on head units vary – and some of those on COMAND are not exactly intuitive. I hope this will prove helpful getting into some of the first menus you'll use.

First tip: The user manual gives instructions for setting up the Dension unit for “+paging” in its configuration menu. You get there by rapidly switching the GW 500 mode selector 6 times – 3 up, 3 down – and you will see a list of choices beginning with “No Text” (the default). Use the single down arrow on the COMAND audio controls to get to “+paging.” Now, here’s where the tip comes in: To enter the selection, you must press the “Fast Forward” (>>) key (Where is it on COMAND? I never use it; I don’t see one). Well, it is the “Seek +” key at the bottom of the row of COMAND keys to the left side of the display (see first photo below). Press and hold it for at least 2 seconds for fast forward. That will set the selection in the GW 500 menu, and you will now be able to see song titles on COMAND when you start your music. If you don’t use the ‘Seek+” key this way, you will get the title of the first song in text, but all following will show only track number.

Those of you who knew about "Seek+" held for 2 seconds being Fast Forward can have a laugh at my expense. And yes, "-Seek" is Fast Reverse (<<) and also the "remove selection" command for setup options in the GW 500 menus.

Second tip: You get to the highest level of the Dension menus by selecting “Audio” with the COMAND Audio button; then by selecting “CDC” – then by selecting “CD Mag.” Again, a feature not covered in detail in the user manual because of so many different head units.

Once you're into these menus you will be able to get to the "Charging" menu (one of the folder choices in brackets) and select how you want your iPod to charge when connected - only when the COMAND or head unit is on, or that plus 2 hours after the HU is off, or not at all. Once again, the selection is registered with that "Seek+" fast forward key. Third tip: That's something you'll want to do early.

I am still learning the Dension menus – how to show all playlists (I’m only getting the first four to show on COMAND – I know others should be available). But then, I have only had use of the unit since late yesterday morning, and have spent a bunch of time posting this info. Maybe those of you with more experience using the menus (perhaps with the D2B version as well?) can chime in here. One should also be able to sort by artist, album, and the like in the Dension menus. I have seen the folders, but have not gotten the sorting to occur.

Anyway, I do get song title on COMAND, as shown in the second photo below, and track number on the MFD as shown in the third. In addition, the CDC continues to function when I want it. That’s a huge improvement over the old Ice>Link Plus and a giant leap over no iPod at all.
Attached Thumbnails -comand-menus-2.jpg   -song-title-playlist.jpg   -mfd-display.jpg  

Last edited by Skylaw; 05-19-2007 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The Bottom Line So Far

The GW 500 works, and the sound quality from the iPod is wonderful (especially since most of my music is stored in high quality formats - not mp3). I do get song title information and elapsed time on the COMAND display (YAY!), but must do more study in the user manual and play with the system a bit more to understand the menu functions better. Only track information and playlist number are displayed on the multifuction (instrument cluster) display. Steering wheel controls work just fine, and in the iPod User Interface mode, all of the iPod functions are available on the iPod (which is why I wanted it in the console, not in the glove compartment; further, the USB input is for music files on thumb drives, and is also the way firmware updates are made, so I wanted it there too). The COMAND CDC controls set normal play, repeat, mix, etc. for the iPod as it does for the CDC.

My unit came with firmware version 1.05, the latest, installed; but if you need to update, you can get it from the Dension support center at http://support.dension.com/support-c...root=12&id=106. A new firmware version, 2.0, is about to enter beta testing but at the time of this post, has not been released. You may also preview the installation and user guides at http://www.dension.com/download_icelink.htm. My unit came with documentation dated after 03/13/07 (13.03.07).

Rob13572468 has indicated in a private message that the Gateway 500 menus work wonderfully with the Audi displays, but are more limited with COMAND. He believes this is caused by COMAND limitations. Still, in my view, it is a huge improvement over what has been available for the MOST bus Benzes having no COMAND AUX input (lack of AUX eliminates the option of the MB/Apple iPod integration kit, which does not provide song info on COMAND but does show it on the MFD).

The lack of adequate documentation is the Achilles' heel of the GW 500. With the unit costing around $500, I felt more like a beta tester, when I should have gotten the gold standard for that cost. Unless you are confident in your abilities, installation is probably best left to a professional who is failiar with fiber optics systems, especially Mercedes systems. However, I expect the results of having the Gateway 500 will be worth it, once I learn the interface adequately. The improvement in sound quality over mp3 DVD and the integration with COMAND and steering wheel controls is great.

Last edited by Skylaw; 05-19-2007 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 S55 AMG
Super writeup since I will be on my way to installing it myself. Couple of questions. Could you post up how you did the power to the GW 500(tapping for the power). Also how does the voice activation works with it? Does it work just like the CDC?
Old 05-20-2007, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi, Shaun. I spliced into the +12v (red/yellow) and ground (brown) wires on the back of the COMAND, using commercially available (Radio Shack) wire splices for 18-22 gauge wire. I held my breath doing it, and did it far enough down the harness to be able to solder the wires back together if I did any damage. But, it worked just fine.

I did it before rob13572468 told me about the better way I mentioned (going to the fuse panel on the side of the dashboard, and the ground connector under the side carpet in the footwell area). Looking at his suggestion, the power wires and ground wires are long enough - and if I did it again, that's what I'd do.

So, no pics of that - but a good opportunity for you to advance our knowledge!!

To the extent that I tried out the voice control on the GW 500, it did work like the CDC - but I haven't tried everything yet. I was just trying to see that voice control worked as it should on the various components after I made the changes in the trunk.

Right now I'm working with the menus - but not in an adequately controlled fashion (just one thing at a time, and checking it out before making more changes). I was having trouble with getting the right things to load in the browser folders initially - think I traced the problem to an apostrophe in the name of my iPod, which the firmware translated as a period - i.e., a change in the file path. You can see it on the screen in the COMAND photos. When I tried to load playlists into the browser menu, I got song titles instead.

I deleted the apostrophe, and got playlists to load into the browser [playlists] folder in the Dension menu - and then, selecting a playlist with "Seek+" I could get songs within them.

However, I also then resynched the iPod (on iTunes) to get rid of nearly 100 "track XX" titles in some folders (I hadn't imported the ID Tag 3 info with the music when I imported it into iTunes - mostly movie sound tracks). Afterward the iPod wouldn't complete the load of its menus, or show on the COMAND display. It hung up on the check mark startup page on the iPod display and kept cycling back to it when trying to continue - and I couldn't get it to show in the menus (though the GW 500 was trying to control and start the iPod). The only device that showed at the highest level of the menus was the AUX input - not the iPod. A reset of the GW 500, the iPod menus, and re-starting the MOST bus cured that.

Right now I can load all playlists into the Dension browser menu; select a playlist by scrolling and then using the "Seek+" button; and show (and scroll) all of the songs in the playlist. However, song titles show with a period in front (e.g., ".Fur Elise" rather than just "Fur Elise"), and I cannot select the song using either the center (OK) button or the "Seek+" button. Still have to work that out and could use some hints myself. The user manual doesn't cover it.

I am having no problem navigating the iPod using the iPod screen and controls when in the "iPod" user interface.

Last edited by Skylaw; 05-20-2007 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Gateway 500 Menus for MOST version on COMAND

I have just posted some information on how the MOST version Gateway 500 menus work on COMAND - the User's Manual is written to cover a variety of manufacturers and radios, and is not specific to operation with COMAND. I hope this helps. See https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-electronics/195743-dension-gateway-500-most-o-menus-comand.html, and please post anything I have overlooked.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
skylaw,

I just installed a dension on a sl65. Documentation is poor. Unit is very well designed. MOST components also wake up through the copper lines. Black/blue is usually wake up on MOST cars except at the PSE where I think it's pink. The dension is a low voltage consumer and I don't believe it sleeps unless it wakes through fiber.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
also when configuring the dension 500, the documentation states to press the track forward to save the setting. That did not work on the sl I did. We had to hold the track forward button to save the setting. Names would not appear correctly if not configured correctly.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks, sunil. I also posted more on the how the menus work for the MOST installation at https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=195743 and http://www.benzworld.org/forums/audi...us-comand.html (the latter has larger pictures). It's an area I thought especially weak, covered only by a general "we can't publish instructions for every head unit" caveat. They simply refer one to the car's radio manual. For my S500, of course, "Fast Forward" is a very non-intuitive "+Seek" held for at least 2 seconds. I found that sometimes it had to be held longer - especially when trying to set "+paging" or charging times.

Last edited by Skylaw; 06-08-2007 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Firmware 2.02 significantly improves menus

Note: With the release of Firmware version 2.02 on June 14, 2007, the operation of the Dension Gateway 500 menus has improved tremendously. In addition, the User Manual has also been improved, overcoming some of the poor documentation of menu function. As of the date of this post, the installation manual had not been revised. For discussion, see post #5 at https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=195743.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Version 3 Hardware Revision

My installation information above was written for Gateway 500 hardware Versions 1 and 2, which have only one Fiber Optic (F/O) input into the Gateway 500 itself. The Version 3 hardware has two - one labeled "Car" and the other labeled "CDC." For Mercedes, the Version 3 installation manual instructs one to connect the CDC to the CDC connector on the box, and the rest of the fiber optic ring to the one labeled "Car." I want to thank Rob13572468 for his assistance in confirming the approach that follows, and also BenzWorld contributor Golfnut, who was the unwitting (and likely reluctant) tester.

The problem: With the CDC mounted in the trunk, there is no way to use the existing fiber optics to connect (only) the CDC directly to the GW 500 "CDC" input, and the rest of the ring to the "Car" input. One might do so easily enough with a glove box mounted CDC, but not trunk mounted. The purpose of the two inputs on Version 3 hardware was to allow on-the-fly switching between the CDC and the Gateway 500, which can't be done with earlier hardware (the fiber optics bus must be shut down and re-initialized to make that change with earlier models).

The solution: For trunk-mounted CDCs, make the changes in the trunk F/O connections between the VCM and the CDC, as discussed for Version 1 and 2 hardware. Then, install the GW 500 in accordance with the Installation Type 1 instructons (for "vehicles supporting multiple CD changers and equipped with a CD changer; Audi A4/A5/A6/A8/Q7" etc.) In this installation, the Mercedes fiber optic ring is kept intact, and is connected only to the "Car" F/O connector. In essence, despite what the installation manual says, one installs a version 3 GW 500 just as the earlier versions, ignoring the "CDC" connector. Ignore the manual's "Type 2a" Instructions.

I suggest first trying all of the DIP switches down. The Version 2 hardware had 4 DIP switches, and all were positioned down for installation. Version 3 hardware has 6 DIP switches, and in the 2-connector installation, all are positioned down for Mercedes. If that switch positioning does not work, try the Audi switch positioning. Obviously, it would be best to confirm that the DIP switch position works, before final mounting of the GW 500 and re-installation of the head unit.

Do not forget: If one does not re-initialize the fiber optic bus after making changes (turn COMAND or H/U power off, turn ignition off for at least 2 minutes, then turn all back on) changes will probably not register. Re-initialize the bus to see any changes made in switch positions.

We would appreciate feedback on the switch positions that work. Version 3 firmware has been installed in Benzes with trunk-mounted CDCs successfully. It will work. Rob 13572468, who helped tremendously in confirming this approach, just didn't recall the switch positions he used, off the top of his head.

There may be a way to install the GW 500 Version 3 hardware in the trunk, and to connect it as shown in the installation manual for version 3. However, that would also mean leaving the iPod and the other connectors, including the mode selector switch that changes from the GW 500 to the iPod and back - and which is also used for programming and firmware updates - in the trunk. That is definitely not the configuration one would want with a non-text capable head unit, where access to the iPod controls is desirable; and for text-capable units, it would complicate initial setup and firmware updates (though they could be done). Personally, I won't be trying that particular approach.

Last edited by Skylaw; 05-24-2008 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A contributor has reported that the Hardware Version 3 DIP settings for the Mercedes trunk-mounted CDC installation would be DIP switches 1 through 5 down, and switch 6 up. This setting is shown in the installation guide for Mercedes cars having no CDC. With those settings and the preceding information, the version 3 hardware installation will work just fine.

The installation guide could still stand a LOT of improvement.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Trunk mounted CDC and Sirius

If you have a trunk mounted CD changer as well as an MB Sirius installation, the fiber optics connections in the trunk must be made a bit differently than discussed at post #5.

For units without Sirius, the installation scheme involved connecting the Gateway 500 to the light output side of the HU/COMAND; and switching the CD changer and Voice Control System module fiber optic connections. This had the effect of connecting the Gateway 500 just ahead of the CDC in the fiber optic ring. Recall that the copper wire connections for the CDC and VCM are not changed.

For Sirius equipped units, you still connect the Gateway 500 to the output side of the HU/COMAND; but you swap the fiber optic connections between the satellite radio module and the CD changer. You do not change the copper wire connectors. By making the changes in the trunk, you are effectively swapping the position of the satellite radio and the CDC on the ring, as shown in the diagrams below. The swap positions the Gateway 500 just ahead of the CDC in the fiber optic ring.

This will work for the Version 1, 2 or Version 3 Gateway 500 hardware. To avoid the effort and expense of running an extra fiber optic harness from the trunk to the passenger compartment, Version 3 hardware should be installed as recommended at post #15 above. The only compromise to be made is loss of the ability to change from the iPod to the CDC and back "on the fly."
Attached Thumbnails -most-ring-sirius.jpg   -most-ring-sirius-modified.jpg  

Last edited by Skylaw; 06-20-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Problems with Dension BTA 1500 Bluetooth Adapter

I have been informed by a distributor (thanks to a tip from a contributor) that the Dension BTA 1500 Bluetooth adapter for the Gateway 500 does not work well with Mercedes, or with any car but Porsche. In Mercedes, the device may either refuse to re-start music following a call - or alternatively, it has returned to music, but at full volume of the audio system.

I do not know whether the problem is hardware or firmware related; but it has been occurring even with the FW 2.15 version, which was supposed to address problems with the BTA 1500.

The problem does not affect the Gateway 500 when used alone, or in conjunction with OE MB phone systems

I have been able to use my Gateway 500 and MB MHI Bluetooth puck (the newer one), with an iPhone - it will pause music to make or receive a call, and automatically resume upon completion. I still consider the Gateway 500 itself to be quite reliable. FW 2.15 also provided for display of the artist's name together with the song title on text-capable head units.

Incidentally, for those desiring to mount the GW 500 in the trunk but keep the iPod handy, I note that Dension is offering a 2-meter extension kit for the iPod cable and the USB cable. In addition, if you have had problems charging an iPhone or an iPod, Dension is offering a newer iPod cable with a blue 9-pin connector that charges both Firewire and USB devices, including the iPhone. See http://www.discountcarstereo.com/Sea...ategoryID=1268

Last edited by Skylaw; 01-24-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL55 AMG, 1986 Porsche 930S, 1996 Porsche 993tt
Originally Posted by SUNILP
skylaw,

I just installed a dension on a sl65. Documentation is poor. Unit is very well designed. MOST components also wake up through the copper lines. Black/blue is usually wake up on MOST cars except at the PSE where I think it's pink. The dension is a low voltage consumer and I don't believe it sleeps unless it wakes through fiber.
Sunil

Where did you place the Dension GW 500 unit, behind the radio(Command) or near at the CD changer?.

Any tips on removing parts to access those areas and connecting the Dension?
Thanks,
Ricardo
Old 02-22-2009, 03:22 PM

E55, C32, ML320
Originally Posted by Skylaw
I have been informed by a distributor (thanks to a tip from a contributor) that the Dension BTA 1500 Bluetooth adapter for the Gateway 500 does not work well with Mercedes, or with any car but Porsche. In Mercedes, the device may either refuse to re-start music following a call - or alternatively, it has returned to music, but at full volume of the audio system.

I do not know whether the problem is hardware or firmware related; but it has been occurring even with the FW 2.15 version, which was supposed to address problems with the BTA 1500.

The problem does not affect the Gateway 500 when used alone, or in conjunction with OE MB phone systems

I have been able to use my Gateway 500 and MB MHI Bluetooth puck (the newer one), with an iPhone - it will pause music to make or receive a call, and automatically resume upon completion. I still consider the Gateway 500 itself to be quite reliable. FW 2.15 also provided for display of the artist's name together with the song title on text-capable head units.

Incidentally, for those desiring to mount the GW 500 in the trunk but keep the iPod handy, I note that Dension is offering a 2-meter extension kit for the iPod cable and the USB cable. In addition, if you have had problems charging an iPhone or an iPod, Dension is offering a newer iPod cable with a blue 9-pin connector that charges both Firewire and USB devices, including the iPhone. See http://www.discountcarstereo.com/Sea...ategoryID=1268
Thanks for all this great info Skylaw. I am beginning the phone system install project on my E55 tonight. I have the iphone cradle and the ipod kit, but I am debating swapping out the ipod kit for the Denison for the comand menu integration and the superior sound quality others have noted from the Dension. Correct me if I am wrong, but the only downside appears to be the inability to leverage the car's antenna while connected to the GW 500.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I do not know how well the Gateway 500 will connect to the iPhone cradle. I do know that I connected an iPhone 3G (firmware 2.21) directly to the iPod connector for the GW 500, and used it successfully with the second generation MHI puck (part #B6 787 5878) - music was interrupted to place and receive calls, and resumed when the call was ended.

However, I did not use the iPhone cradle.

You are correct that with the setup I used, the iPhone was not connected to the car's antenna; however, connectivity was good, calls were of good quality. I don't know that the iPhone cradle connects to the external antenna either (I have never installed one; and in my car, the iPhone fits perfectly in the space where I now keep my iPod).

I haven't gone to a permanent iPhone setup; I may, when the next generation comes out (possibly this summer). My music collection is 30GB and growing, and the iPhone drive capacity is too small.
Attached Thumbnails -dsc_3409.jpg  

Last edited by Skylaw; 02-22-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:48 PM

where do you get the gateway 500 thanks
Old 02-23-2009, 07:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

In the U.S., Discount Car Stereo (http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1062), Enfig Car Stereo (http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s...GW5RD20D1.html), or Mid-City Engineering (http://www.midcityengineering.com/) are three sources. Be sure you are buying a model that is compatible with your fiber optic bus.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:31 AM

thanks i will give them a try
Old 02-23-2009, 11:34 AM

SL500
Got mine from a retailer on Ebay.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Gateway 500 for MOST – Good Unit, Poor Documentation