Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

any HU ( headunit ) works with Mercedes !

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 09:59 AM

Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
2003 C320 coupe/c450 in Feb 2016
any HU ( headunit ) works with Mercedes !

well, that is what 2 local audio installer dealers tell me. they have a kit now that make it works even if u have BOSE!
I just installed Kenwood KDC-X891 (with ipod kit) on my 2003 C320 coupe with BOSE system.
I perfer this over ipod kit since this HU also display cd-text (song title from mp3), it also display song titles from FM radio!
I paid 750$ installed, ya the price is kinda high. I should have shop around, but i'm kinda suprise that an aftermarket radio works with BOSE sytem.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004.5 MB C230 Kompressor
Yes and the install was a raping... heck you can even have the steering wheel controls for you car with an aftermarket Head Unit (depending on the model)

American International Makes a kit for Mercedes with Bose.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:28 PM

04' C240 4Matic
What HU allows the integration of the steering whell controls?
Old 06-01-2007, 07:15 PM

Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
2003 C320 coupe/c450 in Feb 2016
Originally Posted by ZionXLion
the one i know is the Kenwood KDC series, u need a special cable to hook it up. i have a kenwood kdc-x891 unit, but i cant control it on steering wheels. y? cus the installer i went to dont know ****! I have to power off the unit manually, pulling key from car wont work! Also FM/AM receiption is really bad, i guess they dont know how to hook up the anntenna for mercedes. The reason i installed there cus kenwood listed them as a dealer. WTF, i guess any1 can be a kenwood dealer if u buy their products!
Old 06-01-2007, 07:42 PM

2004.5 MB C230 Kompressor
Originally Posted by ZionXLion
All of them with PAC-Audio kits.. SWI-CAN, SWI-PS, SWI-JACK, SWI-X and SWI-ECL
Old 06-11-2007, 01:47 AM

2004 CLK320
HU change possible?

Hi I'm new to the mercedes (2004 clk320) family and would like to change out my HU and keep everything else stock. Is it possible? I've been searching around and some have said yes and some NO. can someone set it straight and just give me a YES or NO answer? if yes, can you tell me where i can find a kit/wiring harness.

thanks a bunch
Old 06-11-2007, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
You can do anything that your wallet allows, it isn't hard, and is kind of basic for an installer, go to a local 12v shop that deals with the higher end vehicles they will be able to knock it out for you
Old 06-11-2007, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by TXKompressor
All of them with PAC-Audio kits.. SWI-CAN, SWI-PS, SWI-JACK, SWI-X and SWI-ECL
I did not find anything for the MOST cars from their web. Can you point to a device e.g. for a 2004 CLK?
Old 06-13-2007, 05:23 PM

'02 CLK55
Both Alpine Europe and Dietz GmbH (http://www.dietz.biz/ENG/000000965c0...5c0e8915c.html) make interfaces for W209 steering wheel controls.

I have the Alpine steering wheel interface for the W208, and while researching that, I found interfaces for the W209 MOST system at both sources listed above.

There is no easily available North American source, but with a little effort, you can get either item shipped overseas.

FYI: Though I don't normally post here, I thought I'd help you out because I know this topic is especially frustrating. I have posted on this topic before on one of the other boards.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by netboy
the one i know is the Kenwood KDC series, u need a special cable to hook it up. i have a kenwood kdc-x891 unit, but i cant control it on steering wheels. y? cus the installer i went to dont know ****! I have to power off the unit manually, pulling key from car wont work! Also FM/AM receiption is really bad, i guess they dont know how to hook up the anntenna for mercedes. The reason i installed there cus kenwood listed them as a dealer. WTF, i guess any1 can be a kenwood dealer if u buy their products!
if you have to power it off manually, sounds like the installer didn't connect the IGNITION wire correctly, they probably just connected it to the CONSTANT power wire, its a pretty rookie mistake though, sounds like they really didn't know what they were doing. Most people just tap the IGNITION off the cigarette lighter.

I think the antenna connection is a SMB FAKRA which isn't really a standard antenna connector for audio head units(usually ISO or DIN), but you can get adapters for them, but they're not usually available at automotive shops, have to source them specially. Most likely, they couldn't connect it properly, so left it unconnected which would probably explain the crap FM/AM reception.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:20 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
the one unresolved issue that might confuse things is that if you have the bose system (e.g. bose amplifier) then there is no (current) way to interface the amplifier into the system. The problem is that the bose amplifier has a MOST fiber input and there is no device available to convert from rca level signal back to MOST fiber to input into the amp.

If you decide to use an aftermarket deck with a MB bose system then you will have to remove the amplifier as well. if you have the 1 or 2 ohm bose speakers than you will likely have to change those as well although as jbondox noted, anything is possible if you have the wallet for it.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:43 PM
ON PROBATION

I have done a few Cclass and CLKs they have kits. steering wheel adapters. the steering wheel controls in the Cclass are CAN so you need the PAC CAN Adapter as well as the steering wheel control for your brand of radio. The stock stereo also wakes up thru can when you turn the car on. You need to grab ACC. from the cig. lighter below the stereo. The BOSE systems we have replaced have been early and were not MOST just the changer was. in these cars you can use either a soundgate OEM4 or a Peripheral SVEN4 for level matching.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:41 AM

2002 E320 4MATIC
Originally Posted by rob13572468
the one unresolved issue that might confuse things is that if you have the bose system (e.g. bose amplifier) then there is no (current) way to interface the amplifier into the system. The problem is that the bose amplifier has a MOST fiber input and there is no device available to convert from rca level signal back to MOST fiber to input into the amp.

If you decide to use an aftermarket deck with a MB bose system then you will have to remove the amplifier as well. if you have the 1 or 2 ohm bose speakers than you will likely have to change those as well although as jbondox noted, anything is possible if you have the wallet for it.
How can you tell what Ohmage your speakers are running at?
Old 07-04-2007, 06:56 AM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ML350, Lotus Elise
Originally Posted by ajent420
How can you tell what Ohmage your speakers are running at?
to find the impedance you need a volt-ohm meter. you would use the "ohm" setting and place the probes across the speaker terminals at the speaker or at the amplifier.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by rob13572468
to find the impedance you need a volt-ohm meter. you would use the "ohm" setting and place the probes across the speaker terminals at the speaker or at the amplifier.
I would correct that and leave at speaker terminals only while disconnected from the amp. Reading it on the amp side will give you a false reading because of thw wire resistance you include. Also what you'll be getting will be the DC resistance. Ohmage is based on frequency. But generally speaking DCR is close to Ohm.