Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Alpine IVA-W200 (IVA-W205) vs. Pioneer Avic-D3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 c300 4matic
Alpine IVA-W200 (IVA-W205) vs. Pioneer Avic-D3

Ok so i was looking at both of these and needed some opinions on which would be a better choice for me & others.

Alpine:

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...model=IVA-W205

VS.

Pioneer:

http://pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3...264980,00.html

I know most users here are using pioneer but i dont know why? to me the alpine looks much cleaner but thats just from the outer shell.

I will be using this for:

watching dvds/cd/mp3s
connecting ipod
bluetooth
steering wheel control

So:

Navigation
rear camera
internet
Satellite radio

are not my priority ......

Im not a technical guy, so im just asking for some input thanks.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:41 PM

09 c300 4matic
in the avic-z1 does it allow you to change light color to match interior like the d3?
Old 07-22-2007, 08:51 PM
ON PROBATION

the Alpine can be bypassed for viseo in motion, is much easier to use and is much better Quaity (IMO)
Old 07-23-2007, 08:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Originally Posted by phranksmbz
Ok so i was looking at both of these and needed some opinions on which would be a better choice for me & others.

Alpine:

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...model=IVA-W205

VS.

Pioneer:

http://pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3...264980,00.html

I know most users here are using pioneer but i dont know why? to me the alpine looks much cleaner but thats just from the outer shell.

watching dvds/cd/mp3s
connecting ipod
bluetooth
steering wheel control

So:

Navigation
rear camera
internet
Satellite radio

Im not a technical guy, so im just asking for some input thanks.
205 offers what they call "Dock and Roll" a new portable navigation unit that slides directly into the Alpine, can be ejected for use in other vehicles. Alpine quality is much better, and you can't find it at wallmart.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:53 PM

09 c300 4matic
can the color be changed on the lights?
Old 07-23-2007, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
can the color be changed on the lights?
Yes, red or blue..
Old 07-24-2007, 12:52 AM

09 c300 4matic
i noticed that a lot of ppl here on the forums chose pioneer? i want amber color lights to match the interior lights but i guess you cant get the best of both worlds eh?

Last edited by phranksmbz; 07-24-2007 at 03:24 AM.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
i noticed that a lot of ppl here on the forums chose pioneer? i want amber color lights to match the interior lights but i guess you cant get the best of both worlds eh?
The majority of benz owners here like pioneer because its cheap. Plain and simple.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:21 PM

Alpine iva-w205

i have the alpine iva-w205 and it slips in the alpine can with minimum mod...looks like factory. With the new bluebird nav unit for it next week, you also have full bluetooth capability and full speed ipod , mp3, dvd audio and anything else you may want
I did not have the bose system but, it would not have mattered. I am happy and can do anything i like with it.
Oh, btw, alpine 4 channel 70 watt amp and polk momo mmc 6500.
I have many vcd's from asia and can play them all without having do any ripping. It is a great unit and i did check the pioneers and kenwood. I would be very confused trying to navigate music or.... on the confusing screen of the kenwood

x
Old 07-26-2007, 03:12 AM

09 c300 4matic
Hey thanks for your input .... im still debating
the only thing holding me back is the button light colors, i want amber to match my car.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C32
The Avic Z1/Z2 buttons have a blue backlight.

Both the Z1 and Z2 can have the in motion protection bypassed. A Z1 can be upgraded to a Z2 with a $250 DVD.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:15 PM

09 c300 4matic
Originally Posted by jgsx

Both the Z1 and Z2 can have the in motion protection bypassed. A Z1 can be upgraded to a Z2 with a $250 DVD.
didnt know that .... thanks
Old 07-30-2007, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 E550 4Matic
You can change the backlight on the buttons to any color you want on the D3.

You can also use the pioneer via the steering wheel with an adapter, not sure if you can with alpine.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 S55 AMG
Do not get the pioneer D3 it is trash. Just installed one in my friend's bmw and you can't have full navi without the disc in the headunit so if you input an address and take the disc out you can't edit unless you input the disc again.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:53 PM

09 c300 4matic
Again.....

watching dvds/cd/mp3s
connecting ipod
bluetooth
steering wheel control

So:

Navigation
rear camera
internet
Satellite radio

I dont even get navigation in my state (alaska) so right now its not important to me but yes i want an "all around" headunit. Does anyone know of any other(s) that are similar or that are comming soon(by the end of the year)?
Old 08-15-2007, 04:16 PM

aftermarket hu

you probaly are going to have a very hard time finding someone to sell you aftermarket. After a year or more searching, i bought the alpine iva-w205 and had it installed. Under 100 dollars for install (one shop quoted 700 to install another, 300 plus).They had never installed in an ml320. Found an alpine dealer that had and he did the install for less than a 100 and 900 for the iva-w205.
Installed the alpine can in the existing mb stock can.
Instant clean sound.
Then, mail ordered the polk momo mmc6500 speakers for the front, along with an alpine MRP-F450 amp, instal labor 120 dollars for speaker and amp(installed under the cover board for the rear seat.
After a week breakin period for front speakers, purchased and had installed polk rear door speakers, purchase and installation-130 dollars.They are the only coax speakers that will fit, almost a drop in.
Listening styles of music on this system: classical, lite rap, rock, traditional country, mixed chinese, thai, vcd with, karaoke, and the ability to play and view any format of disks along with an ipod in the glove box.

My brother had the same car with the way overrated boise system. I would have changed that system also if i had it.

Hooked the parrot bluetooth back up to the alpine.
When the new blackbird navigation is released, it will slip into the head unit

The reason for writing, this is the problems encountered when trying to upgrade the stereo system and the ability to play any audio format and vcd's. Audio car shops seem like they do not want to, or don't know how to do it. Perhaps because of the ability or the installers these days.
Most online suppliers, state the equipment desired does not fit the vehicle

it was not expensive to do this and is great to hear: Hillary Hahn and violen play Bach, Xuefei yang do 4 seasons on her guitar, bob marley, bob dylan, merle haggard and many more while driving. Only thing missing is the cognac but, that will be waiting at home
x
Old 08-15-2007, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Originally Posted by jgsx

As is true with just about any dvd headunit.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Originally Posted by xanax
you probaly are going to have a very hard time finding someone to sell you aftermarket. After a year or more searching, i bought the alpine iva-w205 and had it installed. Under 100 dollars for install (one shop quoted 700 to install another, 300 plus).They had never installed in an ml320. Found an alpine dealer that had and he did the install for less than a 100 and 900 for the iva-w205.
Instant clean sound.
Then, mail ordered the polk momo mmc6500 speakers for the front, along with an alpine MRP-F450 amp, instal labor 120 dollars for speaker and amp
x
You bought such a nice head unit, why go with Polk car? Mail ordered to. For 269 dollars a pair, there is a lot better out there. I guess sound is all relavant, but polk?

Also, any good Alpine shop will install the IVA-W205 for 1K installed, which is what you paid.

The ML is one of the easiest vehicles to install an after market radio in, no matter what anyone tells you. There is a big giant hole behind the factory radio which you could fit a small child in. Literally takes about 30 seconds to get the dash off and factory radio out.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Again.....

I dont even get navigation in my state (alaska) so right now its not important to me but yes i want an "all around" headunit. Does anyone know of any other(s) that are similar or that are comming soon(by the end of the year)?
Choose wisely, Pioneer is crap, we all know that. If you can buy it at WallMart, stay away from it. Eclipse? Just buy a toyota, it already comes with an Eclipse radio.

There is a reason Alpine makes navigation and head units for MB, Rover, Jag, and 50% of the rest of the car market. Or I should say there is a reason car manufacturers buy all of their factory screes, navi's and headunits from Alpine, cause its that good.

Funny thing is, the Navi in MB, is made by Alpine.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:01 PM

polk momo speakers

I did mention it was not easy to find a shop to install the head unit and very few dealers with the alpine w205 when it was purchased many weeks ago. No attempt was made to highlite the cost-just stated cost compared to several estimates.
Could have used mbquart or focal speakers but, they did not work for my ears for clean sound on a wide variety of music choices. my son is taking out his 600 dollar mbquart and going back to polks.
For the money,along with ease of installation and no need for heavy bass- the momos 6500 work great. The cost of the polk momo 6500 are 300 plus in the stores. Although, have been thinking of a small bazooka woofer.
Have a slight hearing loss due to a recoiless rifle so the brighter sound of the momo 6500's are good and leaves money for an alpine PXA-H701-DSP if desired.
Truthfully, i travel frequently and spend much time overseas and not in the car.
You are correct about the large cave behind the dash. The stock mb speakers in the front were 15 watts and the rears only 5 1/4.

x

....... Audaces fortunat juvat timidos que repellit .......
" Fortune favors the bold and scorns the timid "
Old 08-16-2007, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
I did mention it was not easy to find a shop to install the head unit and very few dealers with the alpine w205 when it was purchased many weeks ago. No attempt was made to highlite the cost-just stated cost compared to several estimates.
Could have used mbquart or focal speakers but, they did not work for my ears for clean sound on a wide variety of music choices. my son is taking out his 600 dollar mbquart and going back to polks.
For the money,along with ease of installation and no need for heavy bass- the momos 6500 work great. The cost of the polk momo 6500 are 300 plus in the stores. Although, have been thinking of a small bazooka woofer.
Have a slight hearing loss due to a recoiless rifle so the brighter sound of the momo 6500's are good and leaves money for an alpine PXA-H701-DSP if desired.
Truthfully, i travel frequently and spend much time overseas and not in the car.
You are correct about the large cave behind the dash. The stock mb speakers in the front were 15 watts and the rears only 5 1/4.

x

....... Audaces fortunat juvat timidos que repellit .......
" Fortune favors the bold and scorns the timid "
Sound is all relative, understood. Enjoy the setup!
Old 11-24-2007, 09:40 AM

ML 500
Can I install my own Alpine IVA-W205 unit? My Factory unit is on the fritz, and it is too expensive to fix or replace. Will it run the factory cd-changer? Any special tools or plugs needed? I am writing because it sounds like you have done it. Many people have told me no due to fiber optics, etc..., but I would assume (like you) it could easily be done (Especially consideringthe factory unit is an Alpine) Please advise - Thanks
Old 11-28-2007, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Instant clean sound.
Then, mail ordered the polk momo mmc6500 speakers for the front, along with an alpine MRP-F450 amp, instal labor 120 dollars for speaker and amp(installed under the cover board for the rear seat.
After a week breakin period for front speakers, purchased and had installed polk rear door speakers, purchase and installation-130 dollars.They are the only coax speakers that will fit, almost a drop in.
Listening styles of music on this system: classical, lite rap, rock, traditional country, mixed chinese, thai, vcd with, karaoke, and the ability to play and view any format of disks along with an ipod in the glove box.

My brother had the same car with the way overrated boise system. I would have changed that system also if i had it.

Hooked the parrot bluetooth back up to the alpine.
When the new blackbird navigation is released, it will slip into the head unit

The reason for writing, this is the problems encountered when trying to upgrade the stereo system and the ability to play any audio format and vcd's. Audio car shops seem like they do not want to, or don't know how to do it. Perhaps because of the ability or the installers these days.
Most online suppliers, state the equipment desired does not fit the vehicle

it was not expensive to do this and is great to hear: Hillary Hahn and violen play Bach, Xuefei yang do 4 seasons on her guitar, bob marley, bob dylan, merle haggard and many more while driving. Only thing missing is the cognac but, that will be waiting at home
x
...........I wanted to find out if your steering wheel controls work with the Alpine unit. If yes, did you need a third party adapter? if yes, which one?

......Further your post mentioned that you connected the Alpine CAN to the stock MB CAN. Does this mean that no third part adapter is neccessary for steering wheel control? Thanks

Ted
Old 11-28-2007, 02:10 PM

02 ML320 Sport, 04 350z,06 E350 4matic
Have you looked at other HUs?

Have you looked at other HUs?
I'm in the same boat as you and am looking at the Kenwood DNX7100
6.95 Wide Double-DIN Navigation/USB/DVD/Monitor Receiver

I put a Kenwood KDC-X791 in my 350Z and it works great. I don't have a cd changer or iPod but I can use any USB data device as a sound source.

Kenwood is using USB drives as cd changer replacements. I purchased a 4gp usb drive from Circuit City and loaded it with music. It never has to leave the car and never needs to be recharged.

good luck
Old 11-28-2007, 07:24 PM

2006 C230
I have a Z2 (XM NavTraffic, IPod, Bluetooth, CD Changer in Glovebox) that replaced the Factory US Command HK system and have been quite happy with it.....it took me a couple of days and a complete gutting of the car to install as I removed all of the factory audio equipment and placed the aftermarket in stock locations; but the sound is so much better.

had a Z1 prior and it's made it's way to the lady's vehicle, and she doesn't call for directions anymore.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Alpine IVA-W200 (IVA-W205) vs. Pioneer Avic-D3