Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

How to Install an ipod integration kit in a 2006 CLS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mercedes CLS500
How to Install an ipod integration kit in a 2006 CLS

I installed an ipod integration kit in my 2006 CLS yesterday and got stuck several time through out the process. I spent hours trying to figure things out and searches on-line turn up some helpful information but nothing documenting the install from start to finish.

I did find the link to the official Mercedes install instructions for the E class which was very similar and I had the key pages from the CLS install guide, but I still found myself searching for connectors and trying to get things off without breaking them.

With that said, here is what I did start to finish to get the ipod integration kit installed and working. I started documenting the process half way through so I don't have the best pictures but I think this should get you over the rough spots.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
install.doc.pdf (825.6 KB, 2140 views)
Old 09-25-2007, 12:44 PM

2006 Mercedes CLS500
Some additional notes

I just re-read this and my spelling is horrible. Sorry I pounded this out Sunday night while watching the Cowboy game and didn't pay enough attention to what I was doing.

Also, when I reconnected my battery I had three of the 4 doors open. I noticed on my way to work Monday that those three windows didn't roll all the way up after shutting the door. I manually rolled them up and when I got to work tested and they rolled down a crack when opening the door but not back up when the door was shut. The door that was closed worked fine. When I got home I disconnected the battery with all the doors shut and reconnected it. This restored normal function of the windows when the doors open and close.

The volume of the music is noticibly quieter at max volume that it was when I just ran my ipod through the aux connector in the glove compartment. I read in the users guide that if you connect headphones to the ipod while it's connected to the ipod interface that music can only be heard from the headphones. This weekend I will reconnect the old aux wire to the back of the stereo and use the old aux connector and use a jumper from the ear phone jack to the aux input to restore the volume to the previous level. It will be two connections in the glove box, but it's in the glove box. I don't care.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:34 PM

06 CLS55 AMG
Thanks! My dealer wanted 800.00 for this install, 400.00 for the cable, and 400 for the install. I will think about doing it. I did notice lots of people complained about the sound quality and not being as "loud" as they wanted.

I opted to try some other things with my CLS55 AMG, i found out that in some cls's from 2006 they installed a dvd rom drive in the top slot of the head unit. With that said i was able to burn a 4.7 and 8.5DL gigabyte dvd mp3 dvd disc and use those instead of the small cd-r 700 mb mp3 disc. so i was able to have about +/-1500 mp3's on one dvd. Try this out. Use nero to burn the disc.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:35 PM

2006 Mercedes CLS500
I saw those posts. I will play with that as well. The install took me 6 to 8 hours, I don't know exactly how long because I had to stop in the middle and go to an appointment with my girl friend.

I think it could have been done in 2 or 3 hours if I knew everything I learned while doing the install like where everything is. I spent a good 2 hours looking for that connector in the trunk and then once I found it laboring over if I should remove wires from it for fear of the damage I might do if it was the wrong one.

I also spent a significant amount of time just getting started. The first thing in the MB instructions was to remove the ash tray housing. They didn't say you needed to remove the shifter cover to accomplish that.

If using the regular audio aux cable and feeding it through my headphone jack works (I'm 90% sure it will) that will solve the audio problem, however I have noticed that even using the headphone jack prior to the integration kit, sound level was not quite as high as a CD but very close.

BTW does anyone know if I can remove the original PDF and replace it with one that has correct spelling?

Mark
Old 09-26-2007, 07:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by markm555

BTW does anyone know if I can remove the original PDF and replace it with one that has correct spelling?

Mark
You should be able to click "edit" in your initial post then use the same "manage attachments" option under "attach files" you used to load it - it has a remove feature. Once you have removed the old one, attach the new one.

If you cannot edit the initial post, just attach the corrected file to a new post in this string.

Last edited by Skylaw; 09-26-2007 at 07:39 AM.
Old 09-27-2007, 01:45 PM

2006 Mercedes CLS500
New Doc

I didn't see any way to edit my original post. Maybe if a moderator stubles across this thread they can remove the original doc in the first post.

Here is an updated doc with spelling fixes as well as a better description of re-pining the factory audio connector in the trunk.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
install.doc.pdf (826.7 KB, 1069 views)
Old 02-15-2008, 05:16 PM

2006 Mercedes CLS500
Ipod Audio Volume

After installing the ipod integration kit I noticed the volume was not as loud as it was prior to installing the kit and just running through the aux input from the headphone jack.

I pulled the radio out, swapped the aux cable back to the aux jack in the glove box and ran a second wire from my ipod to the aux jack in the glove box. The ipod integration kit still controls the ipod as before but volume is louder than running through the single connector of the ipod interface kit.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
After installing the ipod integration kit I noticed the volume was not as loud as it was prior to installing the kit and just running through the aux input from the headphone jack.

I pulled the radio out, swapped the aux cable back to the aux jack in the glove box and ran a second wire from my ipod to the aux jack in the glove box. The ipod integration kit still controls the ipod as before but volume is louder than running through the single connector of the ipod interface kit.
Why don't you purchase an 11cent IPod amplifier from your MB dealer. I am not joking; the price of the amp is still at 10cents at any MB dealer and there is nothing they can do about it.

Back to the amp. The volume, base and treble boost is incredible after installing the amp. It is an easy install. Try it.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 GLE350, 2014 G550, 2000 SL500, 1980 TR8, 1995 E320 Cabriolet
I'm not sure why you're wasting your time on the utterly wretched piece of crap that the OEM Ipod interface is, even with the 11 cent amplifier. Put your time and money into something that actually performs as any person with even the smallest modicum of audio appreciation would expect - something like the Dension unit. I have all three (the OEM, the amp, and the Dension) in my 2008 ML and I can tell the you that the functional and acoustic experience from the Dension is so good it even outweighs the seething anger I have for even having spent 11 cents on the factory setup.

Just my "11" cents worth.

- FD
Old 05-07-2008, 01:47 PM

W211 E400 CDI
Originally Posted by Floobydust
I'm not sure why you're wasting your time on the utterly wretched piece of crap that the OEM Ipod interface is, even with the 11 cent amplifier. Put your time and money into something that actually performs as any person with even the smallest modicum of audio appreciation would expect - something like the Dension unit. I have all three (the OEM, the amp, and the Dension) in my 2008 ML and I can tell the you that the functional and acoustic experience from the Dension is so good it even outweighs the seething anger I have for even having spent 11 cents on the factory setup.

Just my "11" cents worth.

- FD
..cause we didn't know...D'ho!
And I just left my car at dealer to install the OEM Ipod interface.
Seems like that Dension is far so much better.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:43 AM

CLS 500
Thumbs up markm555 your the awesomest!

I've bee trying to figure out how to open the center gearbox panel for a while. I used your instructions to install an Iphone Holder from Proclip, attached to a Kennsington Liquid Aux cable, and a Boostaroo earphone/aux signal booster. I wanted to hide all the wires, including 2 big ciagrette lighter plugs/recepticle. The entire thing looks great, thanks to you. I will post pics soon.

I installed an ipod integration kit in my 2006 CLS yesterday and got stuck several time through out the process. I spent hours trying to figure things out and searches on-line turn up some helpful information but nothing documenting the install from start to finish.

I did find the link to the official Mercedes install instructions for the E class which was very similar and I had the key pages from the CLS install guide, but I still found myself searching for connectors and trying to get things off without breaking them.

With that said, here is what I did start to finish to get the ipod integration kit installed and working. I started documenting the process half way through so I don't have the best pictures but I think this should get you over the rough spots.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:49 AM

Do you have to take this to the dealer to have them "enable" anything or is the wiring kit plug and play?
Old 05-05-2015, 05:18 PM

Mercedes cls
Hi. I have just fitted Mercedes iPod interface kit. To my 2006 cls. Using your instruction everything works but doesn't charge. Have I done something wrong?
Old 05-06-2015, 07:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
You may have a mismatch between the iPod cable and the iPod you are using. When Apple changed from Firewire charging to USB, it also changed the charging pin. The cable you use to connect must be compatible with the iPod. The Apple website has data on all iPods, and can tell you how yours charges (or, just look at the charger you use at home; it will have either a Firewire symbol or a USB symbol). MB sells both cable types for its kits.

Last edited by Skylaw; 05-06-2015 at 07:46 AM.