Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

New European COMAND software update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
New European COMAND software update

MB have made a software update available for most European COMAND units, which (from what Ive heard, but I havent tried)
(a) meant to improve reliability
(b) is meant to allow you to you to select lower scale on the map
(more detail)
(c) makes it DX compatable
(d) allows SMS sending/editing if you have the NOkia 6210/6310 stuff in your car

Your dealer should be able to install it, its called the "Software Service-CD MY2001" - and replaces the similar "MJ00" CD. If they look up the part number for the MJ00 CD on their parts system it is superceeded by the MY2001 version.

I suspect they will charge you unless you can claim something is wrong under warranty though ... I dont know under what circumstances dealers are meant to install it !

R
Old 10-31-2002, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Can it show name of streets on the map as other DVD based systems do?
Old 11-01-2002, 02:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
Originally posted by Dema
Can it show name of streets on the map as other DVD based systems do?
No. COMAND (2.0, 2.5 and the 16x9 in S/CL 2003) can not.

NB, Ive just installed the s/w on my wife's car, and it doesnt give me the 0.05 mile street map view that my MY2003 SL has.

R
Old 11-04-2002, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SMS

Hi Richard

I must have the update in my ML2002 because I can SEND READ DELETE and write SMS from my Comand head unit... that is since you also changed a few things for me, including a TV Tuner function...

I am still trying to output the TV Tuner to a rear roof screen.

Any news on TMC/TCS, do you reckon it will get into the new E Class DVD Comand system in March 2003..

Steve

Last edited by Londonboy; 11-05-2002 at 04:00 AM.
Old 11-05-2002, 03:48 AM

CLK 320 Avantgarde
You will have to wait till the next Tele Atlas 2003 cd comes out.

The codes for tmc are on the disc. I am not sure if the comand needs an update, as the tmc modules are already installed on the comand. I have been waiting for this for ages. But Tele Atlas has said they shall have it in 2003 cd.

Nick

Last edited by barflux; 11-05-2002 at 03:50 AM.
Old 11-05-2002, 04:05 AM

TMC codes

I think your right about the TMC codes being available on DX Tele Atlas discs.

I also know that Classic FM is transmitting the TMC data (different to RDS data) and Toyota & Lexus UK and BMW UK have operating subscription systems.. but thats about all I know

Oh yeah.. and MB are 2 years behind BMW getting TMC/TCS system operative and interactive with Comand.
Old 11-05-2002, 04:41 AM

CLK 320 Avantgarde
Has anyone seen the TMC in action? Any good or waste of time?

Londonboy

I take it you've been to itisholdings.co.uk

Nick
Old 11-05-2002, 06:37 AM

ITIS Holdings

Nick

Yes, I did look at the ITIS Holdings web site, although its been over a year since I last looked....

It all started for me 5 years ago when I purchased a Phillips Carin navigation, and was promised TMC would follow.. but it never did..

Now I have had two Comand systems and MB keep saying TMC/TCS will be soon... but there is no sight of it yet..

The only difference now to 5 years ago is that at least we do have TMC data available in the UK, and for me its now MB that is stopping it from working with Comand...

In Germany and Benelux the TMC service is offered free, in rip off Britain I think we want to charge for receiving TMC data.. no change there then.......

Steve
Old 01-30-2005, 04:30 AM

SEPT 2005 CLS 320CDI,
TMC Arrival for the UK?

http://www.itisholdings.com/merc_tmc.asp

Web site announcement.

i have used the system whilst in Germany, only point to remember is is if you are one of the first to encounter the traffic problem you will be one of the little yellow or red cars (if i remember correctly) on the navigation display.

Mercedes-Benz 30 January 2005, 09:17 In January 2005 ITIS announced a 3 year contract with DaimlerChrysler UK to supply its RDS-TMC service as standard on all Mercedes-Benz cars equipped with factory-installed satellite navigation.

ITIS traffic information combines incident data and Floating Vehicle Data (FVD), which is then broadcast to compatible satellite navigation systems using national bandwidth via Classic FM, which is licensed exclusively by Ofcom to ITIS until 2012. Manufacturers who have standardised TMC are Bentley, BMW, Ford, Land Rover, Lexus, Mini, Nissan, Porsche, Renault, Saab, Subaru, Toyota, Vauxhall, Volkswagen and Volvo.

Stuart Marks, Chief Executive, ITIS Holdings commented:

" We are particularly pleased that DaimlerChrysler UK will be standardising RDS TMC across the Mercedes-Benz range of cars. The quality and driving experience that Mercedes- Benz customers demand will be further enhanced by the availability of real time traffic information. We now have contracts with 16 manufacturers for RDS-TMC and consequently more drivers now receive traffic information in their vehicles using TMC than by any other comparable system."
Old 01-30-2005, 05:57 PM

Tmc

so we only have a year to wait now...