Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

E63 Focal and JL Audio Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63 Focal and JL Audio Install

Just installed a major stereo upgrade to my E63 AMG with P2 package. The specs:

(2) JL Audio 10w6s subs
Custom Sub Enclosure with firing chamber that directs sound and air to cabin
(2) JL Audio 500/1 Amps (power the subs)
(1) JL Audio 300/4 (powers door speakers)
Focal 165 K2P Component Speakers for the front doors
Focal 165 CV1 Coaxial speakers for the backseat doors
Remote Bass Knob (installed in arm rest)
Audio Control Line Output Converter
Customer Amp Rack and Cover with AMG logo

The system is amazing. Erykah Budu sounds like a live performance! If I'm in my "gangsta" mood I can turn up the bass and let everyone know that I'm listening to Dr. Dre or Nelly . White Stripes sounds great. Best system I've ever had in a car (and I've had some good systems).

Complaints? I have a rattling problem that should be an easy fix (I found the problem that cuases it). Getting windows tinted next week and the installers will fix the rattle. I also might paint the AMG logo white as it is hard to see with the silver amps in the background.

Installers: Benchmark Motoring in Bellevue (Seattle suburb). http://benchmarkmotoring.com/. Ask for Kevin if you want the hook up and tell him Nate with the E63sent you (I get nothing - but I want to refer him business).

Enjoy the pics!!

*sorry for double post in W211 forum - just thought topic is more appropriate in this forum - moderators delete other thread if you wish!*

The Car

Car in the shop! 50 hours of install time.

Focal 165 K2P with yellow cone in the doors

Bass Knob in arm rest

Custom Sub Enclosure

Another

Up close pic of the opening from the firing chamber. We removed the old sub and now the fire chamber will direct bass and air into the cabin.

Box installed, Exposed Amps

Custom Amp Cover

Install Complete! Trunk shot. Can still access my spare tire, and lots of trunk space!

AMG Logo on the amp cover
Old 12-01-2007, 08:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2024 G63, 2021 X7M50i
Lookin good! Congrats on the new system. I hope to have the opportunity to hear it.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
08 E 6point3-sold- 11 caddy cts-v-sold, 2012 E63 Palladium Silver
install

Nice install, I am going in the same position on changing the system out.

If you dont mind me asking how much was the install without equipment
Old 12-06-2007, 09:34 PM
Bux
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G
very nice!!!! clean look.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
That is a nice setup and very clean look...congrats!!!!

PS...Even with getting EVERYTHING dynomatted, I had rattles too post install and found that my rear arm rest was rattling when it was UP (I guess the movable parts in the armrest were vibrating). Now I just keep the arm rest down and no internal rattles at all. I still wanted to keep the cup holder for my daughter.

Also, my license plate was rattling too which was annoying when I stepped out of the car. I had that fixed with extra dynamat cushioning material between the license plate and car.

Last edited by AMGfan; 12-07-2007 at 01:16 AM.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:37 PM

06 E55
NateDawg,

Install looks awesome.

Did you keep the factory head unit?

Were the door speakers a direct swap - copper wire to speaker?

I've got some MB Quarts that I removed from my old Benz before the Insurance guys took it off - I might install them in the 55.

Sounds like it's the way to go.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tolahouse
NateDawg,

Install looks awesome.

Did you keep the factory head unit?

Were the door speakers a direct swap - copper wire to speaker?

I've got some MB Quarts that I removed from my old Benz before the Insurance guys took it off - I might install them in the 55.

Sounds like it's the way to go.
Yep, I kept the factory command unit. I like the COMMAND system and it would have been uber expensive to mess with it.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:42 PM

2003 C230K SS
looks amazing, really clean. I really like the custom box and firing chamber.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:29 PM

Additional Pics

Old 12-13-2007, 05:30 PM

c230
Hi nate nice and clean setup. Got a question did you keep your stock HU?
What system did you have the stock system or the HK logic 7 system?
Old 12-13-2007, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Cl 500
nice setup nate

ALi
Old 12-13-2007, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1999 C43 AMG
nice set up you have there. i'm sure it sounds nice. how much for just the install?
Old 12-31-2007, 04:46 AM

s65
Help Me!!!

I have an 02 cl600 with command and want to add a sub with amp and full speaker upgrade with new amps.... it is fiber from the head unit. How can i do it or how did you do it... please pm me with answers if anyone has solutions.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sounds like airplane
looks nice

don't like the oval cut-out showing the amps though- rectangular amps in an oval hole?
Old 01-03-2008, 12:55 AM

Answers to questions:

I kept the stock head unit and replaced the HK stuff that came with the car.

50 hours of labor at $65/hour.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by NateDawg
Just installed a major stereo upgrade to my E63 AMG with P2 package.

The system is amazing. Erykah Budu sounds like a live performance! If I'm in my "gangsta" mood I can turn up the bass and let everyone know that I'm listening to Dr. Dre or Nelly . White Stripes sounds great. Best system I've ever had in a car (and I've had some good systems).
The system really does look great - but why in the world do you think someone outside your car wants to listen to your music? I'm not slamming your taste in music - but believe me, no one wants to have you pull up at a light, or worse, drive nearby in traffic, and drown out our own.

Or drive through the neighborhood at 2:30 AM, windows down, music blaring. Makes me think of my shotgun.

Music does not have to be loud to be good. Something that seems to be lost on so many these days.

Last edited by Skylaw; 01-03-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Skylaw
The system really does look great - but why in the world do you think someone outside your car wants to listen to your music? I'm not slamming your taste in music - but believe me, no one wants to have you pull up at a light, or worse, drive nearby in traffic, and drown out our own.

Or drive through the neighborhood at 2:30 AM, windows down, music blaring. Makes me think of my shotgun.

Music does not have to be loud to be good. Something that seems to be lost on so many these days.
I understand your point and believe me I'm not obnoxious about my stereo. It is not like I'm a 16 year old kid blasting Dr. Dre with all the windows down while rolling through a senior citizen community. I'm fairly responsible (e.g., when pulling into my garage I turn down the bass so the neighbors don't get annoyed).

However, with that said, sometimes I want my music LOUD. If I had a bad day at work and I'm feeling a little stressed, some heavy hitting music can be a nice stress reliever.

Finally, a good system doesn't only mean loud music. I like the overrall sound quality (thus the reason I went with the closed box and not a ported box). I have a pretty good home audio set-up (e.g., B&K receiver, Vienna Acoustic speakers...), and though it is loud it also sounds great. Same principles apply with my car.

And as I say to my friends, "You can take me out the ghetto but you can't take the ghetto out of me..."
Old 01-04-2008, 06:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Great reply, NateDawg. I'm sure your neighbors appreciate your consideration.

Wish a few of mine had more.

And it is indeed a great looking system; sure it sounds as good as it looks.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
Did you say 50 hours of labor? That is insane. I installed a COMPLETE competition system (MB Quart Q series mids/highs, MB Quart Subs in custom enclosure, MB Quart Amps in custom amp rack, capacitor, Alpine HU) in a little over 2 days by myself and Placed 3rd at Spring Break Nationals in Daytona Beach. System is amazing but I hope it wont take me that long on the new Benz.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
That's probably why you placed third Benchmark, which made the list as top 100 in the nation shops, along with an installer placing top 100, then everything has to be made to last the life of the car... not just going to SBN to place in a dried up competition that no one shows up for anymore.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:02 PM

s65
????????$$$$ $3250.00 Labor alone? Damn that is VERY pricey. Great install though. Did they recombine all channels from the LC8 with "Y split" RCA cables?? The HU sends diff freq. signals to diff bose amps.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
Originally Posted by jbondox
That's probably why you placed third Benchmark, which made the list as top 100 in the nation shops, along with an installer placing top 100, then everything has to be made to last the life of the car... not just going to SBN to place in a dried up competition that no one shows up for anymore.
Don't start something you can't finish. If you've done better installing a system by yourself in 2 days- bring it. Otherwise- shut you mouth or I'll throw you a beating you'll never forget. And if you consider SBN a nothing contest- I guess that's why World Champion Gary Biggs was parked next to me.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:07 AM
Almost a Member!

64' Caddy, LX470, S65..GL..

Oooooo Them are fightin' words!

I love Benchmark Motoring and even before when they were Innovative Audio. Agreed on the expensive pricing but they are the absolute best in the Northwest. Quality, trust, security, warranty, customer service, all come into play when people are spending this type of money. In the end - It really doesn't matter, if the owner is happy and smiling when listening.

Someone just quoted me a 15k system including install here in Utah and I was laughing because I didn't see where the other "8k" was going!!! It is hard these days to find quality installers who are passionate about their work, have experience with different cars and models.

Coogi
Old 01-12-2008, 04:13 AM
XJ9

C350
Originally Posted by CoogiMan

Oooooo Them are fightin' words!

I love Benchmark Motoring and even before when they were Innovative Audio. Agreed on the expensive pricing but they are the absolute best in the Northwest. Quality, trust, security, warranty, customer service, all come into play when people are spending this type of money. In the end - It really doesn't matter, if the owner is happy and smiling when listening.

Someone just quoted me a 15k system including install here in Utah and I was laughing because I didn't see where the other "8k" was going!!! It is hard these days to find quality installers who are passionate about their work, have experience with different cars and models.

Coogi

Systems like the above are expensive to build and expensive to make sound just right. I would say that $3250 is labor is actually pretty reasonable considering the excellent fit and finish shown.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
beater with a heater
Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak
Don't start something you can't finish. If you've done better installing a system by yourself in 2 days- bring it. Otherwise- shut you mouth or I'll throw you a beating you'll never forget. And if you consider SBN a nothing contest- I guess that's why World Champion Gary Biggs was parked next to me.

Yep, it is a nothing contest... notice how many people show up? It is a has been contest, not the same as it was in the early 90to mid 90's... Yeah i know gary, tell him i said Hi... Believe me, I can finish...So before you think you know what you're talking about... never mind... use your imagination....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E63 Focal and JL Audio Install